What did you learn about cooking today?

Yesterday I learned what manicotti is - sounds oddly like a sea creature. What is that thing I'm thing of? Its now driving me mad as I can't Google to find out, as I only know that the name has some similarity to manicotti.

There needs to be a What did you learn about cooking today (February 2021)? thread.

I learned that you can't whip a heavy whipping cream non-dairy alternative.

I learned that when cooking vegetables to later puree, like for soups or sauces, adding 1/8 tsp of baking SODA per pound of veges softens/tenderizes/helps the break down process along so much that you might not even have to pass through a fine wire mesh after you puree.

I learned that snow peas and snap peas are also known by the French term mangetout (mahn-jeh-too-say). But, that the same term is applicable to any type of pea or bean which is harvested young and both the pea and pod are edible. So, edamame is also mangetout.

Mangetout is a not a specific synonym for snow peas or snap peas. It is a more general synonym for a large number of peas and beans in edible pods.

I learned that not all the similar-sized lids fit quite right on all the similar-sized jars I have.

I have a habit of removing the labels off every sauce and pickle jar I use. I always seem to need them to store sauces I make, as well as things I'm pickling and fermenting. Most of the lids are close enough to the same size. As I reuse containers, it's not always clear which lid went to which container, and it usually doesn't seem to matter.

I suppose it's more accurate to say I was reminded of this fact. I was shaking the contents of jars I was using to make gin, and some of the liquid splooshed through the lid of what I thought was a closed and sealed container. Oops.

Sometimes, I need to be reminded of things I already know.

I learned that not all the similar-sized lids fit quite right on all the similar-sized jars I have.

I have a habit of removing the labels off every sauce and pickle jar I use. I always seem to need them to store sauces I make, as well as things I'm pickling and fermenting. Most of the lids are close enough to the same size. As I reuse containers, it's not always clear which lid went to which container, and it usually doesn't seem to matter.

I suppose it's more accurate to say I was reminded of this fact. I was shaking the contents of jars I was using to make gin, and some of the liquid splooshed through the lid of what I thought was a closed and sealed container. Oops.

Sometimes, I need to be reminded of things I already know.

I too, re-use some jars. But since I use Classico sauces sometimes, their jars are Atlas mason jars, and these fit the common lid for mason jars. Further, you can buy the banded seal lids for mason jars and replace the store lid on them with the banded sea lids to get a tighter seal. It's kind of stupid to through these Atlas jars away.

I too, re-use some jars. But since I use Classico sauces sometimes, their jars are Atlas mason jars, and these fit the common lid for mason jars. Further, you can buy the banded seal lids for mason jars and replace the store lid on them with the banded sea lids to get a tighter seal. It's kind of stupid to through these Atlas jars away.
Something else I need to be reminded about...I see replacement lids at the supermarket, and I walk right past them. My cheapness sometimes gets the best of me.

Back
Top Bottom