What did you learn about cooking today?

Well, come on now. This is like telling your dogs that you’re going for a walk, and then not taking them. Please explain!

It's a candy made with honey and a sugar and water mixture. You heat the liquid to 300 F then stir in baking soda, which causes a huge foaming/bubbling reaction. It's then carefully and gently poured out onto a buttered/parchment baking sheet and allowed to spread out on its own, cool and harden. Then you have this airy, full of holes candy that you break apart and enjoy.

I tried the baking soda trick of mixing it into ground beef, letting it sit for 15-20 minutes, then browning. Yep, it works, browned up nicely and didn't exude any liquid at all. I was using home ground chuck so it was fairly lean to begin with, but still not to have any excess liquid or grease was wow.

1-1/2 tsp salt plus 3/4 tsp baking SODA mixed with 1 pound ground beef, sat for almost 20 minutes. Just make sure to remember that you've already added some salt when cooking your dish.

I'm not going to add the baking soda next time and see what happens.

Last edited:
I tried the baking soda trick of mixing it into ground beef, letting it sit for 15-20 minutes, then browning. Yep, it works, browned up nicely and didn't exude any liquid at all. I was using home ground chuck so it was fairly lean to begin with, but still not to have any excess liquid or grease was wow.

1-1/2 tsp salt plus 3/4 tsp baking SODA mixed with 1 pound ground beef, sat for almost 20 minutes. Just make sure to remember that you've already added some salt when cooking your dish.

I'm not going to add the baking soda next time and see what happens.

Not heard of this - bookmarked.

Baking soda is such a versatile chemical! I'll remember that. Thanks.

I learned today that flax seed flour and coconut flour can play very well in savoury muffins, alongside Ap.

I learned you can't wash raw chicken, which I've been doing all my life :eek:

The issue here is cross-contamination. Raw chicken leaves bacteria on the sink and countertops, and studies show the bacteria can be there even after washing the kitchen! How insane!

Back
Top Bottom