What did you learn about cooking today?

I learned you can't wash raw chicken, which I've been doing all my life :eek:

The issue here is cross-contamination. Raw chicken leaves bacteria on the sink and countertops, and studies show the bacteria can be there even after washing the kitchen! How insane!
One of my favorite "Jacques & Julia" moments is during a chicken episode, and she rinses off the chicken she's going to prepare, while Jacques doesn't and goes right to cooking it.

She chides him a bit, gives him a little bit of a lecture (which, if anyone could lecture JP, it's JC and is kind of cute in itself), and he listens patiently, and when she's done schooling him, he looks into the camera, gives a sheepish little half-smile, and as pleasantly as anything, simply says, "I never rinse my chicken."

:laugh:

The issue here is cross-contamination. Raw chicken leaves bacteria on the sink and countertops, and studies show the bacteria can be there even after washing the kitchen! How insane!
Yep, heard that one...who would think how mighty bacteria are...
I never wash chicken, but I wash my hands after handling it and inbetween, as said, dozens of time(😄can one actually say dozens of times? A dozen times? )

I'm pleased you learned this. Its very dangerous and completely unnecessary. Why wash chicken anyway? People don't wash other meats. Unfortunately, traditions persist...

I'm pleased you learned this. Its very dangerous and completely unnecessary. Why wash chicken anyway? People don't wash other meats. Unfortunately, traditions persist...
I wash chicken.

But let me clarify; I wash any chicken that I've done in myself in the back yard, in order to get rid of any extra feathers or possible gut material or blood. Then I stick it in the fridge for 48 hours and move it to the freezer. I also cut open the gizzard and wash that baby out! And believe me, chicken feet need a scrubbing of their own before frozen away! (I save for bone broth and soup.)

I do not wash chicken prior to cooking it, however. My hands after (and during, depending on the cooking steps, yes!)

Not in my case. I buy whole chicken and ask the butchers to cut it in small pieces. Because the meat is cut it is full of small pieces of fat, blood vessels, tiny bones and whatnot. The biggest ones I remove with a knife, the small bits all easily come out under running water.

; I wash any chicken that I've done in myself in the back yard, in order to get rid of any extra feathers or possible gut material or blood. Then I stick it in the fridge for 48 hours and
I guess this is really necessary. Wiping the surfaces afterwards will probably do. So alltogether, fine.
I admire people who know how to keep animals and use them for food.👍

Not in my case. I buy whole chicken and ask the butchers to cut it in small pieces. Because the meat is cut it is full of small pieces of fat, blood vessels, tiny bones and whatnot. The biggest ones I remove with a knife, the small bits all easily come out under running water.
Ahaaa...ok...if it doesn't spray all over the kitchen fine, and even if it does, wiping the surfaces will probably do.(i love cleaning sprays, so I spray, wipe, then water wipe, dry wipe, done,, it is not perfectly clean but it is clean enough😊)
We should not get stressed out too much.
Did you plan to change your approach?

Ahaaa...ok...if it doesn't spray all over the kitchen fine, and even if it does, wiping the surfaces will probably do.(i love cleaning sprays, so I spray, wipe, then water wipe, dry wipe, done,, it is not perfectly clean but it is clean enough😊)
We should not get stressed out too much.
Did you plan to change your approach?
I tried a different approach yesterday, which was using a paper towel to remove the smaller bits. Usually I use a knife to remove the biggest bits and the smaller pieces of bone, fat, etc all come out easily under running water. Yesterday I had to be a lot more thorough than usually and chase all those small bits myself, but it was doable :happy:

I tried a different approach yesterday, which was using a paper towel to remove the smaller bits. Usually I use a knife to remove the biggest bits and the smaller pieces of bone, fat, etc all come out easily under running water. Yesterday I had to be a lot more thorough than usually and chase all those small bits myself, but it was doable :happy:
Good! Glad you found your way👍😁

I've heard it mentioned/read it several times of late. The baking soda changes the pH, which then changes something about the bonding of protein molecules. The true test will be when I cook some of the same batch of ground chuck without the baking soda.

The baking soda definitely makes a difference. When I browned the beef for stroganoff last night had liquid come out of it. Of course, the mushrooms then sucked it all up when I put them in.

I also saw another way to use the baking soda trick. Dissolve 1/2 tsp of baking soda in about 1 Tbsp of water, gently knead into the ground meat, then let sit for 15-20 minutes. I like this idea better since it's not adding salt. It was an ATK or Cook's Country episode. Will try that next.

I just jumped through to be a smart(_|_) <=butt

I learned you can't cook sitting at the desk in the office.

But the day is young and I am looking for an idea. I'll keep you "posted".

T

Back
Top Bottom