What kind of music do you like?

I have 1800+ songs on my iPod. Yes...it's old (but so am I) and it still usually works (and so do I, usually). Anyway, the variety of things on it is mind-boggling, and I do like to set it to shuffle so I get a weird mix of what's there. To answer a question of "what kind of music do you like" properly, I have to start with a sampling (I realize that many that I list span several decades):
  • Songs from the 30s and 40s - Blind Willie McTell, The Ink Spots, Glenn Miller Orchestra
  • Songs from the 50s - Buddy Holly, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Frank Sinatra
  • Songs from the 60s and 70s - Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, America, Three Dog Night, Stevie Wonder, Rush, the Sex Pistols, Sly and the Family Stone
  • Songs from the 80s - Motley Crue, REM, Elvis Costello, X, Guns N Roses
  • Songs from the 90s - Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, L7, Liz Phair
  • Songs from this century - Wolf Alice, White Stripes, Nothing More, Parquet Courts, Highly Suspect
These are only the more famous ones; there are a lot of other one-hit wonders I've distributed throughout. I know I'm also probably forgetting quite a few that I love. My only regret is that I don't have room for more songs...

Surprise, I live in Texas, and don't care much for country music (well, maybe a little Willie). :wink:

I listen to classic rock, blues and funk, mostly. In the blues/funk area, I like Motown, Chicago R&B, Oakland funk, and most of all, Texas Blues/Rock. I'm a big ZZ-Top fan, but my favorite is Stevie Ray Vaughn (from right here in the Oak Cliff neighborhood of Dallas).

I still remember exactly where I was when I heard the news that he had died in a helicopter crash after a doing guest performance with Eric Clapton.

A player with the talent of SRV comes along once in a lifetime.

SRV and Double Trouble live at Austin City Limits. Watch very closely starting at the 2:35 minute mark.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3woPVQExDsQ

Did you see it? He didn't miss a single beat.

CD

Last edited:
Surprise, I live in Texas, and don't care much for country music (well, maybe a little Willie). :wink:

I listen to classic rock, blues and funk, mostly. In the blues/funk area, I like Motown, Chicago R&B, Oakland funk, and most of all, Texas Blues/Rock. I'm a big ZZ-Top fan, but my favorite is Stevie Ray Vaughn (from right here in the Oak Cliff neighborhood of Dallas).

I still remember exactly where I was when I heard the news that he had died in a helicopter crash after a doing guest performance with Eric Clapton.

A player with the talent of SRV comes along once in a lifetime.

SRV and Double Trouble live at Austin City Limits. Watch very closely starting at the 2:35 minute mark.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3woPVQExDsQ

Did you see it? He didn't miss a single beat.

CD

With " Willie" are you referring to Willie Deville?

I'm not a fan of Eric Clapton, althought I consider him a great musicist, but Stevie Ray Vaughn is on another planet.

I saw ZZTOP in a concert near Milano about 12 years ago, they were great.

I'm not a fan of Eric Clapton, althought I consider him a great musicist, but Stevie Ray Vaughn is on another planet.

No, Willie Nelson. He used to raise hell with Waylon Jennings, David Allen Coe and Hank Jr. They called him "The Red Headed Stranger".

Last edited:

I was referring to Willie Nelson. Sorry. Living in Texas, I forget that he isn't a legend everywhere else.

ZZ-Top is one of the best LIVE bands I've seen. They opened for the Rolling Stones in Dallas in the early 80s, and stole the show. Keith Richards did the speech inducting ZZ-Top into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004. They put on a real show when they perform live. The outfits that Billy and Dusty wear, the choreographed "shuffles" they do, the way they set their stage with custom chrome mic stands and amps stacked like tumbling dice -- it goes above and beyond just playing great music.

Live at the Crossroads Music Festival in Chicago around 2010...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai-aLzd5imI

CD

Back
Top Bottom