What made you smile recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
51JZfKjQDDL._AC_.jpg

Apologies in advance to medtran49 and CraigC, as this doesn't reflect them (or other residents on this forum from the great state of Florida). There's a sort of game you can play where you enter this into a search engine:

Florida man (your birthday)

For example, I did this search:

Florida man October 6

And I came up with this:

Florida Man interrupts Hurricane Matthew live TV report to yell ‘D***s out for Harambe’.

NOTE: it's unlikely that your actual birthdate (with the year) will turn up anything, since I doubt there would be records of news stories (at least of crazy new stories) from 58 years ago (in my case).

They've gotten really organized lately, as I see that the above link is in a new site called ifloridaman.com.

Now I wish I had been born a day later; the things that men in Florida did on October 7th are much more interesting:

Florida Man Arrested for Allegedly Breaking Into a House and Trying on Baby Clothes While Holding a Woman Hostage​

Florida man accused of pouring beer in gator's mouth after enticing reptile to bite his arm​

Honestly, I'm originally from Florida and I am constantly poking fun at people from my home state.

Honestly, I'm originally from Florida and I am constantly poking fun at people from my home state.

If anyone wants to know how "Florida Man" became such a big thing, it is because of Florida's very loose public information laws. EVERYTHING that involves an arrest is made public. So, there is a wealth of funny stories available from Florida.

Not saying that Florida doesn't have more than it's fair share of... um... "interesting" people. Key West is one of the best People-Watching places I've ever been to. :laugh: "FantasyFest" is an event that is on my bucket list -- just to people watch. :eek:

CD

If anyone wants to know how "Florida Man" became such a big thing, it is because of Florida's very loose public information laws. EVERYTHING that involves an arrest is made public. So, there is a wealth of funny stories available from Florida.

Not saying that Florida doesn't have more than it's fair share of... um... "interesting" people. Key West is one of the best People-Watching places I've ever been to. :laugh: "FantasyFest" is an event that is on my bucket list -- just to people watch. :eek:

CD
I'm sure you've been to New Orleans, right? It's similar though much bigger (and of course has a better food and music scene).

I'm sure you've been to New Orleans, right? It's similar though much bigger (and of course has a better food and music scene).

I've been to NOLA many times. It can get TOO crazy, at times. I'll never go back their during Mardi Gras. Fantasy Fest may be the same way.

A girlfriend and I went to Key West about in 2004. We stayed at a B&B on Duval Street. We had a great time. I really want to go back.

CD

Fantasy Fest is a scaled down version of Mardi Gras simply because of the land area available. As far as the "ahem" part, it tends a bit more toward Carnivale.

I've been to NOLA many times. It can get TOO crazy, at times. I'll never go back their during Mardi Gras. Fantasy Fest may be the same way.

A girlfriend and I went to Key West about in 2004. We stayed at a B&B on Duval Street. We had a great time. I really want to go back.

CD
I have been to Key West maybe 15 times (even though I lived in FL) and NOLA probably 50 or 60. Where I lived in the panhandle of NW Florida it was only 4 hours to NOLA but more like 12 or 13 hours to the Keys. I never went to Mardi Gras, though lots of my friends had (their stories are probably why I stayed away, LOL). I loved Jazzfest and FQ Fest the most. I like people watching quite a bit, but it's not hard to find something interesting to see even when it's not crazy like Mardi Gras. Of course after Katrina I have only been twice, but that's mostly because I live in Ohio now and there are lots of other places I would like to go where I have never been.

The company I worked for from my early to late 20s had a condo in Islamorada, which is almost half way to Key West from mainland Florida. We could use it from time to time, so would make day trips to Key West or other parts of the lower Keys or just chill locally. If we wanted to dine in Key West, we'd just get a hotel room for the night down there. Saw quite a few interesting things during time spent in the Keys. There are certainly some characters living in the Keys. When we were in our 30s, Craig and I would take the boat and get a hotel with dock space and spend a week or so in the middle Keys diving and underwater hunting. That was always fun.

DD lived in NOLA for several years. Got married there in fact and oldest DGD was born there. So visited there quite a few times. In fact, we quit going downtown to see the sights unless we wanted to visit a restaurant there.

The company I worked for from my early to late 20s had a condo in Islamorada, which is almost half way to Key West from mainland Florida. We could use it from time to time, so would make day trips to Key West or other parts of the lower Keys or just chill locally. If we wanted to dine in Key West, we'd just get a hotel room for the night down there. Saw quite a few interesting things during time spent in the Keys. There are certainly some characters living in the Keys. When we were in our 30s, Craig and I would take the boat and get a hotel with dock space and spend a week or so in the middle Keys diving and underwater hunting. That was always fun.

DD lived in NOLA for several years. Got married there in fact and oldest DGD was born there. So visited there quite a few times. In fact, we quit going downtown to see the sights unless we wanted to visit a restaurant there.
Yeah, we rented a house a few times in Islamorada on a canal, really nice there, great fishing. I would have liked to have gone scuba diving but hubby and his cousin are not certified and cousin's wife has no interest in water activities other than sitting in the sun, LOL. She wouldn't even get on the boat with us when we went snorkeling and fishing!

We always made it down to Key West to wander about. I have a good friend who still lives in Key West, she's been there for about 25 years (she was from my hometown in NW FL). Last hurricane that was there took most of the roof off her house. She's okay and rebuilt, so all is well.

There is practically no bad food in NOLA. Except maybe the hot dog vendors, yuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom