What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those Maple cookies 😋
Haha, those are for MrsT. She cracks me up.

This particular store, I always buy a lot of cookies and a lot of cereal, because they have things I can't get anywhere else, so my cart always looks like I live just on cereal and cookies.

Anyway, I put the maple cookies in, then the gingersnaps, then the coconut cookies, and she said, "Quit buying so many damn cookies!"

So I put the maple ones back.

Got in line to pay, and it was a little long, and she said, "I'm going to go look at the magazines."

Came my turn, I started unloading the cart onto the conveyor, I saw her make her way to the cart, and then the last item out of the cart...the maple cookies.

Looking at the magazines...yeah, right...she went back and snagged those cookies! :laugh:

^You're a choosey-doosey, TastyReuben - and that's what all people should be: the way they are. Everybody has no-nos as genetic or social attributes or as reminders of family dishes or tourist experiments which just didn't go down the throat however nicely the grannies or aunties or street food vendors foisted them.

TastyReuben, your grandmother hardly sunk her teeth into the tarsal bones but it takes all sorts to make a world :hungry:.

Cilantro is soap to me; can't stand tarragon either (so Béarnaise sauce isn't my fav). Even the wonderful scent of thyme brings forth unexplainable nausea at times (and turns into a smell). I do eat everything, though - it's not that grievous. Cilantro looks good on top of dishes, so I use it and swallow it without complications. Rucola/arugula is a favorite of almost the whole family (just the youngest is a bit picky). Beem 'em up, Scot...TR! We'll have them! I bought some rucola yesterday. I think it's good fresh on top of pizzas and mixed with e.g. sundried tomatoes and roasted pine kernels.
McDonalds got caught in a whirlwind after Jaime Oliver did a series of shows here on childhood obesity, so they disclosed exactly how their McNuggets were made. They are still chicken scraps made into a paste, but no beaks or feet. I don't know how other nuggests are made, exactly, so I don't have any reason to doubt your friend, either.

CD

Reminds me of when I was at my friends butcher shop, they were making beef mince in a big mincer. My friend went in the chiller and added meat from a carton labelled clover leaf meat. I know horse meat as I used to buy it when breeding German shepherds. Also being in the horse game knew that horses ended up at clover leaf factory. I said is that horse meat you put in there? He whisked it away and said nothing. I never bought mince there again.

Russ

Reminds me of when I was at my friends butcher shop, they were making beef mince in a big mincer. My friend went in the chiller and added meat from a carton labelled clover leaf meat. I know horse meat as I used to buy it when breeding German shepherds. Also being in the horse game knew that horses ended up at clover leaf factory. I said is that horse meat you put in there? He whisked it away and said nothing. I never bought mince there again.

Russ

Horse meat is legal in most States in the US, but nobody distributes or sells it here. The last horse slaughterhouse closed years ago. If you want horse meat in the US, you have to buy it from overseas, which would be expensive and impractical.

CD

Horse meat is legal in most States in the US, but nobody distributes or sells it here. The last horse slaughterhouse closed years ago. If you want horse meat in the US, you have to buy it from overseas, which would be expensive and impractical.

CD

We export a lot to Europe apparently. I didn't know its legal stateside?

Russ

Haha, those are for MrsT. She cracks me up.

This particular store, I always buy a lot of cookies and a lot of cereal, because they have things I can't get anywhere else, so my cart always looks like I live just on cereal and cookies.

Anyway, I put the maple cookies in, then the gingersnaps, then the coconut cookies, and she said, "Quit buying so many damn cookies!"

So I put the maple ones back.

Got in line to pay, and it was a little long, and she said, "I'm going to go look at the magazines."

Came my turn, I started unloading the cart onto the conveyor, I saw her make her way to the cart, and then the last item out of the cart...the maple cookies.

Looking at the magazines...yeah, right...she went back and snagged those cookies! :laugh:
Don’t blame her - those Maple Leaf cookies are yummy! I get them at Aldi’s - Up here I can only get them in the fall.

Don’t blame her - those Maple Leaf cookies are yummy! I get them at Aldi’s - Up here I can only get them in the fall.
Do you happen to have a Big Lots? They sell maple creme cookies, though made by Dare.

MrsT is a maple fiend. She's been known to drink it straight from the syrup bottle, just like Buddy The Elf.

Buddy The Elf.
Tasters mate, I have an elf buddy

Do you happen to have a Big Lots? They sell maple creme cookies, though made by Dare.

MrsT is a maple fiend. She's been known to drink it straight from the syrup bottle, just like Buddy The Elf.
Yep, sure do have the Big Lots. I will have to cruise the cookie isle and check it out.

We have Ollie's Bargin Barn also - only have been there once earlier this summer. Oddly, it is in the same plaza as Big Lots.

Yep, sure do have the Big Lots. I will have to cruise the cookie isle and check it out.

We have Ollie's Bargin Barn also - only have been there once earlier this summer. Oddly, it is in the same plaza as Big Lots.
We have Ollie's. I also hit them up for cookies, discount cookbooks, and tea and coffee. They get some real finds in for tea. I'd ordered some Twining's k-cups from Keurig, and it was something like $18 for 12 pods, crazy price, and then I saw them a couple of weeks later at Ollie's for maybe $3. :laugh:

I went to Walmart today to grab a few things. I treat Walmart like a "convenience store" when I just need to grab something quick.

I walked through the meat department, just to see if they had anything decent on sale, and saw this...

PrimeWalmart.jpg

Look at that marbling. When I sous vide that, and render that fat, that steak is going to be "like butta"." Since I had steak yesterday, I vacuum sealed this one, and popped it in the freezer.

CD

I went to Walmart today to grab a few things. I treat Walmart like a "convenience store" when I just need to grab something quick.

I walked through the meat department, just to see if they had anything decent on sale, and saw this...

View attachment 48159

Look at that marbling. When I sous vide that, and render that fat, that steak is going to be "like butta"." Since I had steak yesterday, I vacuum sealed this one, and popped it in the freezer.

CD

Looks like wagyu.?

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom