What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I've mentioned my FIL a lot recently, it's the time of year, but that's one thing I picked from him. He'd traveled all around the country over the years and he knew all these foods to order.

Sterzing potato chips from Iowa, Revonah pretzels from Pennsylvania, Goo-Goo Clusters from Tennessee, things like that, and he always wanted to lay in a supply over the holidays.

Some Sunday in October, we'd be sitting around the house, drinking beer, eating salami, watching football, and he'd shout, "Doris! DORIS! We gotta order pretzels from Revonah! It's almost Christmas!" - the. Two minutes later, he'd shout, "And Goo-Goo Clusters! Better get those, too!" :laugh:

We weren't surprised at all when they started sending fruit to us. When they were still in NY, they used to send apples and maple syrup every year.

That reminds me, I need to buy some pecans (puh-cons) to make some butter-maple-brown sugar glazed pecans for my dad. My mom hates me making sweets for him to eat all day -- I consider that a bonus. :laugh:

CD

I've not cooked one before.
I had thought ballotine, but thinking something more simple for the first try so maybe roast with roast root veg, and some sort of juniper berry gravy.

Any recommendations? What are you planning for yours?

I reckon the best way is to pot roast it. It keeps it moist and it couldn't be easier. Brown the bird in some butter then put in a casserole dish on a bed of onions, head of garlic cut in half (no need to peel) and root veg. Add juniper berries if you have some and a few bay leaves and herbs. Add a large glass of red wine and some chicken stock. Even using just red wine will get you a good gravy. Put in the oven (covered) for about and hour. Here is a 'before roasting' photo with the bird browned beforehand. A good splash of brandy and a bit of cream was added to make a sauce from the juices after cooking.

EDIT: Looks like I added chunks of apple to this one.

Last edited:
I reckon the best way is to pot roast it. It keeps it moist and it couldn't be easier. Brown the bird in some butter then put in a casserole dish on a bed of onions, head of garlic cut in half (no need to peel) and root . Add juniper berries if you have some and a few bay leaves and herbs plus root vegetables. Add a large glass of red wine and some chicken stock. Even using just red wine will get you a good gravy. Put in the oven (covered) for about and hour. Here is a 'before roasting' photo with the bird browned beforehand. A good splash of brandy and a bit of cream was added to make a sauce from the juices after cooking.

EDIT: Looks like I added chunks of apple to this one.
View attachment 49427
Thanks for the tip. Esp. apples!

I made the mistake of walking through the meat section when I went to the store for something else, and saw a package of nice, well marbled beef short ribs for a decent price. So, now I have even more meat in my freezer. :facepalm:

Good news is, if civil war breaks out after the election, I have guns, ammo, and a lot of food. :ohmy: :laugh:

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom