What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is our monthly produce haul. I have to do a better job of meal planning around this - I had to throw out about half of the first batch because it went bad before I could get to it.

That is a lot of squash for two people. And rather a lot of potatoes too.The rest of it should be fairly easy to use up if you eat a lot of lettuce salads!

To me this seems an unbalanced veg box. We have quite a few veg box schemes in the UK. I've tried them but even though they were more varied than yours, I still found it diffficult to use everything up.

That is a lot of squash for two people. And rather a lot of potatoes too.The rest of it should be fairly easy to use up if you eat a lot of lettuce salads!

To me this seems an unbalanced veg box. We have quite a few veg box schemes in the UK. I've tried them but even though they were more varied than yours, I still found it diffficult to use everything up.

Living alone, I only buy fresh produce that I have already have plans to use before I go to the store. A veggie box would not work for me, even if the price was great.

CD

Living alone, I only buy fresh produce that I have already have plans to use before I go to the store. A veggie box would not work for me, even if the price was great.

As do I. I plan a couple of days ahead for anything that's non-standard. Standard food items for me are potatoes, rice, cooking oils, onions, chillis, chicken, milk, and some form of grass*. My wife shops every couple of days whether it be at the open markets or the supermarkets. I keep a pad and pen at the side of the computer (which sounds incongruous) to list items as they come to mind or as I notice that we are running out. When she's out shopping she invariably rings me to ask about other items, e.g. "the cauliflowers look nice" and/or "they have large fresh cayenne chillis", "do you want some?" Then I may change my plans.

*And beer, of course!

As do I. I plan a couple of days ahead for anything that's non-standard. Standard food items for me are potatoes, rice, cooking oils, onions, chillis, chicken, milk, and some form of grass*. My wife shops every couple of days whether it be at the open markets or the supermarkets. I keep a pad and pen at the side of the computer (which sounds incongruous) to list items as they come to mind or as I notice that we are running out. When she's out shopping she invariably rings me to ask about other items, e.g. "the cauliflowers look nice" and/or "they have large fresh cayenne chillis", "do you want some?" Then I may change my plans.

*And beer, of course!

You use the term "grass" a lot. I assume that refers to any kind of leafy greens???

I do keep produce like onions and potatoes on hand all the time. I use them so often, and they last a decent amount of time.

CD

This is our monthly produce haul. I have to do a better job of meal planning around this - I had to throw out about half of the first batch because it went bad before I could get to it.
Hmm...looking at your pics: any possibility to adjust the quantity (for months to come)? I feel sorry for you; steaming, dicing and cooking veggies day in day out... And hating it :roflmao:.

tr.JPG

We do eat a fair amount of salads, but the problem with that is...we prefer the crunchier stuff, like romaine, over the baby leaf stuff in the mixed greens. The arugula is right out, AFAIC.

Last batch, I threw out half the mixed greens and half the arugula. This time around, I'm concentrating on the mixed greens, since we also got two heads of green leaf lettuce, which is a little closer to what we like, and I can mix it up a bit. I tried to give the arugula away to a couple of neighbors - they weren't having it, either. :laugh:

They did get two of the squash, though, and the kale, and we've already eaten a turnip. We both prefer those raw as a snack, so the second one will be gone today.

The beets won't pose a problem, and with just two squash to deal with, I can probably manage that. Potatoes...I can eat my weight in potatoes, excepting the sweet ones, and I'd just bought five pounds of gold potatoes before these showed up, so that's a lotta taters! Plus all those onions, and I just got a bag of onions the other day, and I've already got onion soup in the freezer...help! Maybe an onion tart is about to make an appearance soon.

Hmm...looking at your pics: any possibility to adjust the quantity (for months to come)? I feel sorry for you; steaming, dicing and cooking veggies day in day out... And hating it :roflmao:.

View attachment 49882
The boxes are a set amount, set items, it's just a little family organic farm around the corner of the house. I'm much happier with this box than the last box, mainly because of the potatoes, turnips, and the beets.

I may have to get better about par-cooking and freezing stuff. I didn't want to do that, the freezer is full, but I may have to.

Onions will keep and keep so no rush.
I keep onions in the dark (in a large bin) and they definitely don't last all that long here - about a month or so. Maybe these will do better, since they're not supermarket onions. Half the time, I get supermarket onions, and a few are already bad when I get them home and go through them.

That's what everybody told me about the squash, too, but those started turning after about three-and-a-half weeks.

I keep onions in the dark (in a large bin) and they definitely don't last all that long here - about a month or so. Maybe these will do better, since they're not supermarket onions. Half the time, I get supermarket onions, and a few are already bad when I get them home and go through them.

That's what everybody told me about the squash, too, but those started turning after about three-and-a-half weeks.

I keep onions in the salad drawer of the fridge and they last for months. Squash really ought to last. I've had one on the counter for a month and its still fine. Which reminds me - I must do something with it!

I keep onions in the salad drawer of the fridge and they last for months. Squash really ought to last. I've had one on the counter for a month and its still fine. Which reminds me - I must do something with it!

I also keep my onions in the salad drawer/crisper in my fridge. I use onions a lot, but I've gotten a few weeks from them.

I keep potatoes in the same place. I have found that waxier potatoes last considerably longer than starchier potatoes.

CD

Our Bosch fridge/freezer has this system. "The Series 8 fridges feature our best freshness system VitaFresh pro. It keeps food fresh up to 3x longer with temperatures from -1°C to +3°C while maintaining the perfect humidity level. This combination of temperature and humidity helps you to protect all the aromas, essential nutrients and valuable vitamins in your fresh food. Hence, it is easier than ever to maintain a healthy diet with fresh fruit and vegetables every day."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom