What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have thought they would normally be vegan and gluten free - cherries and sugar syrup? I'm puzzled now!

Or were you being ironic? If so oops!

Nope I wasn’t ironic, I was really puzzled since I also thought they normally would be vegan and gluten-free

Maybe it’s referred to the syrup method.. :scratchhead:

Last edited:
Only thing I can think of that might not be vegan is those bright red cherries in syrup which are coloured using cochineal (from insects).

Ah ok, maybe it’s like that. Ingredients are only cherries, water and sugar

Well, that clears everything up for me.

CD :wink:

Seems like a whole load of things are now labelled gluten free and/or vegan and/or dairy free. I suspect in many cases it is to cash in on 'on trend' health markets. But I suppose it makes shopping easier if you are vegan or have a genuine intolerance to some ingredients. Back in the dim and distant past when I was a young vegetarian, lots of food weren't labelled with ingredients at all. I remember my concerned Dad going to the factory where the bread we bought was produced to ask if it contained animal fat (it didn't).

Bought some gluten-free bread just for a change and pitted cherries in syrup - I didn’t notice they are vegan and gluten-free too, something new to try. However I’m still a bit puzzled about them, didn’t think cherries can be vegan and/or gluten-free :scratchhead:

View attachment 59325

View attachment 59324
Perhaps the syrup is? Hm.I would also think cherries were vegan...and gluten free...but who knows...is there more info?

You are all very lucky.

Canned and bottled produce here, if imported, has a non-removable sticker which inevitably covers the list of ingredients which was attached by the manufacturer.

I suspect in many cases it is to cash in on 'on trend' health markets.
That's exactly what it is, though in my case, it could backfire, because as soon as I see "gluten-free," I back away and start looking for something else. :)

I remember years ago, when it was trendy to self-diagnose a gluten allergy, my niece bragging about what an observant shopper and mindful consumer she was by buying (I think) a bag of oranges that was labeled gluten-free.

What ensued was a huge argument with everyone there about what was/wasn't gluten-free and the intelligence of the average shopper and unscrupulous marketers preying on them.

She did defend herself (and the company for their labeling) by saying some people don't know what is or isn't gluten-free, so having the label helped, though I do feel some people will see a label on something that's obviously gluten-free and think "They're either pandering to the uninformed or slapping that label on there and raising the price 20%."

Did you buy that in US? I didn't think they were allowed to sell things like that anymore.
Yeah, I picked them up at a quickie mart this morning (along with hamburger buns and Bugles).

They're readily available here - there's a little general store place about five minutes from my house and they carry them as well. I see them all over.

Disappointed in these, though, as they don't have the little red tips to make them look like they're lit. What happened to that old world craftsmanship? :laugh:

Yeah, I picked them up at a quickie mart this morning (along with hamburger buns and Bugles).

They're readily available here - there's a little general store place about five minutes from my house and they carry them as well. I see them all over.

Disappointed in these, though, as they don't have the little red tips to make them look like they're lit. What happened to that old world craftsmanship? :laugh:
Anything out of the ordinary with these cigarettes? Why would they be banned?

Of course smoking is bad for anyone, but they still sell.

I might be missing something here😳😄

Anything out of the ordinary with these cigarettes? Why would they be banned?

Of course smoking is bad for anyone, but they still sell.

I might be missing something here😳😄
I believe they were banned for a time because they were thought to encourage smoking in children.

Now I can have all the benefits of looking cool while enjoying a stick of super-healthy...sugar! :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom