What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe they were banned for a time because they were thought to encourage smoking in children.

Now I can have all the benefits of looking cool while enjoying a stick of super-healthy...sugar! :laugh:
View attachment 59516
Ooooh so those are sweets?
We had chewing gums in this form as schoolkids, I still remember the pale pale pink colour and strawberry flavour, and we teased to smoke them😂
But they were not packed in cigarette looking boxes...
Thank you for sharing the cool photo.😁

Yes, these are sweets, just hardened confectioner's/powdered sugar.

The internet says they were banned in 2009, until the manufacturers agreed to remove the word "cigarettes" from the package. Now they just say "candy."

We also had the gum ones, and they were dusted in cornstarch so if you blew on one, it'd make a little puff of smoke.

Yes, these are sweets, just hardened confectioner's/powdered sugar.

The internet says they were banned in 2009, until the manufacturers agreed to remove the word "cigarettes" from the package. Now they just say "candy."

We also had the gum ones, and they were dusted in cornstarch so if you blew on one, it'd make a little puff of smoke.
Yes yes indeed! Totally forgot about the cornstarch!

She's thrown the bag away - not that I could read the label anyway. She tells me that it's "healthier" than sugar.

I really don't like it. There is a taste. My wife bought some "proper" sugar today which will replace it.

Well, I didn't buy this (instead I bought a comparatively commonplace fillet of Parrotfish to fry tonight), but when I saw this at my fishmonger I had to take a picture. Who knows what it is? (And bonus points - have you cooked it? :) )

IMG_6750.PNG

Well, I didn't buy this (instead I bought a comparatively commonplace fillet of Parrotfish to fry tonight), but when I saw this at my fishmonger I had to take a picture. Who knows what it is? (And bonus points - have you cooked it? :) )

View attachment 59707
My boyfriend used to fish, just a hobby, I could ask him. I am curious too.
Those look dangerous! But are probably a delicacy!

Chicken Wings! WooHoo! I've been craving Buffalo Wings for weeks, but the store shelves everywhere I went had no chicken wings (?). They had breasts, thighs, legs and tenders, but not a single wing. Until yesterday. They were organic, so they cost more, but they are wings. Well, we're... I made my Buffalo Wings last night and ate them. :woot:

CD

Chicken Wings! WooHoo! I've been craving Buffalo Wings for weeks, but the store shelves everywhere I went had no chicken wings (?). They had breasts, thighs, legs and tenders, but not a single wing. Until yesterday. They were organic, so they cost more, but they are wings. Well, we're... I made my Buffalo Wings last night and ate them. :woot:

CD

Just for clarification, why are wings from a chicken called "buffalo wings"?

In this part of the world chickens are far from similar to buffalos and the latter is unlikely to have wings (before 5 pm anyway).

Just for clarification, why are wings from a chicken called "buffalo wings"?

In this part of the world chickens are far from similar to buffalos and the latter is unlikely to have wings (before 5 pm anyway).

Buffalo wings are a way of preparation. You deep fry the wings. Then toss in a sauce of Frank's Red Hot (cayenne pepper sauce) and melted butter. That's what makes them bright orange in color. The dish originated in Buffalo, New York. Hence, the name. They are probably the most popular bar food in the US.

Yorky, you would like them. They are very spicy. Restaurants/bars that specialize in Buffalo Wings will often offer them in different levels of heat -- mild, to hot, to names like "Wings of Death."

CD

Last edited:

View attachment 59707
This fish is not familiar to my boyfriend.
I googled a few of the suggestions, have not discovered a perfect match yet.
Any chance finding out from the fisher himself?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom