What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought or acquired today:

So far, three eggs. I expect 2-4 more. (This is from the chicken coops.)

Haven't gone to a real supermarket for nearly a month. This is what I bought:

2 limes
2 avocados
1 bunch cilantro
0.6 pounds of provolone cheese
8 ounces goat cheese
4 ounces broccoli sprouts
1 bar of Lindt 78% cocoa dark chocolate.
1.8 pounds country style pork ribs
12 ounces of herring in wine sauce.
1 liter Bacardi rum
750 ml extra dry Vermouth.

For the quail: 10 pounds of high protein quail feed.
For the young chickens: Chicken growing feed, GMO-free/Organic.

Will be ordering: GMO-free, soy free, corn free layer feed from Amazon, organic. For the adult hens.

My garden still yields: Salad turnips, onions, kale, parsley, Swiss chard, Asian cooking greens, leeks.

⛔⛔⛔ Warning this post contains the 'C' word ⛔⛔⛔

On my way back from a couple of days working in Manchester I dropped into The Cheshire Smokehouse to get the Christmas treats. Beef cheeks as the main for the day itself, a smoked duck breast that goes brilliantly with a Caesar salad, smoked salmon trimmings that make an excellent mouse and marry with scrambled eggs and chorizo for the best breakfast. Plenty of Stornoway black pudding which is the finest, and some black smoked bacon which I love. All now in the freezer ready for the festive season.

Home - Cheshire Smokehouse

I picked up some Lee & Perrins Worcestershire sauce to round out my condiments.

full.jpg

full.jpg

⛔⛔⛔ Warning this post contains the 'C' word ⛔⛔⛔

On my way back from a couple of days working in Manchester I dropped into The Cheshire Smokehouse to get the Christmas treats. Beef cheeks as the main for the day itself, a smoked duck breast that goes brilliantly with a Caesar salad, smoked salmon trimmings that make an excellent mouse and marry with scrambled eggs and chorizo for the best breakfast. Plenty of Stornoway black pudding which is the finest, and some black smoked bacon which I love. All now in the freezer ready for the festive season.

Home - Cheshire Smokehouse

I’m going to Manchester tomorrow 📖📌

I’m going to Manchester tomorrow 📖📌

I was thinking that if I were to visit Europe for Christmas, I would fly into Munich, go down to Garmisch Partenkirchen for Christmas day, then train through a stop in Basel, down to Geneva, back through to Paris to visit the Louve, through the channel tunnel, then to London, to fly back home with a stop in Montreal.

Of course, that isn't going to happen any Christmas soon. But it's a thought.

I was thinking that if I were to visit Europe for Christmas, I would fly into Munich, go down to Garmisch Partenkirchen for Christmas day, then train through a stop in Basel, down to Geneva, back through to Paris to visit the Louve, through the channel tunnel, then to London, to fly back home with a stop in Montreal.

Of course, that isn't going to happen any Christmas soon. But it's a thought.

It’s only a short trip related to work, a shorter one to Birmingham as well, however it will be nice to visit places I’ve never seen before in the UK beside London and Edinburgh.

I hope you’ll be able to realise your thought one day, sounds like a very nice trip. For Christmas I usually went to Switzerland (I can get Lugano in about 45 mins by car from where I live) and France (through Val D’Aosta, which is also my fave Italian region where to spend Xmas holidays).
I have been to Berlin during Xmas holidays, fantastic.
But to me there is nothing like Paris, a life experience.

We're planning on seeing a niece this weekend, so I'm making a load of sauce and meatballs to bring over for spaghetti.

The dried beef is because MrsT hasn't had creamed chip beef since we've been back, and she's getting a hankering for that. Having it six times on a 10-day vacation will do that to you.

The chicken was buy-one-get-one-free, so that went right in the freezer and I really only needed one pound of ground beef, but the ground beef was slim pickings, to say the least, and the price has definitely gone up. I bought one of those 3-packs a few months ago for $15. These were $19.

I've received (after a bit of a wait) 'seasoning' chillies as mentioned by FowlersFreeTime I think? They are incredibly mild despite looking quite like Scotch Bonnets. The sender threw in some Indian Bay leaves (bottom right, I know them well), cinnamon leaves (top right I think), and chilli leaves (bottom left, I think) as a freebie. No idea what to do with the last two...

Oh. I thought that creamy stuff was sausage gravy like you have with biscuits.
No, that would just be sausage gravy. Same gravy, different meat.

I don't particularly like sausage gravy, though 9,999 out of 10,000, if you order "biscuits and gravy" here, it's going to be sausage gravy. It's just understood. But I don't like it that way.

MrsT grew up with creamed chipped beef as opposed to sausage gravy, because regionally, that was more common in her area of the country, and served over toast, not biscuits (the infamous "💩 on a shingle").

I grew up with biscuits and gravy. I don't know that I ever even had creamed chipped beef before I met my wife, because where I grew, it's biscuits and gravy, not creamed chipped beef on toast. The only biscuit she'd ever had was from McDonald's, as part of a breakfast sandwich thing.

So if there's one food that we make that can symbolize our marriage, it's the "biscuits and creamed chip beef" that we make, and it's the one single thing that she'll cook...the gravy, so we do actually make that one thing together. I bring the biscuits and she brings the gravy.

I've received (after a bit of a wait) 'seasoning' chillies as mentioned by FowlersFreeTime I think? They are incredibly mild despite looking quite like Scotch Bonnets. The sender threw in some Indian Bay leaves (bottom right, I know them well), cinnamon leaves (top right I think), and chilli leaves (bottom left, I think) as a freebie. No idea what to do with the last two...

View attachment 74498
Oh cool! I have come across peppers that look like Scotch Bonnets that were less hot (Habaneros) and even some that were mild (some variety of cuban pepper). All are great to cook with.
The rest of that foliage there... I have no idea what you would use them for 😅

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom