What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
GEEZ!
Where is it that you shop, and take me with you next time, will ya?
The first and last ones are from good ol' ALDI, and the middle two are from a three-store local gourmet chain called Dorothy Lane Market.

I love that place, but if they call Whole Foods "Whole Paycheck" to rib them about their prices, DLM should be called "Whole Mortgage," because the prices on some of their stuff will water your eyes.

The first and last ones are from good ol' ALDI, and the middle two are from a three-store local gourmet chain called Dorothy Lane Market.

I love that place, but if they call Whole Foods "Whole Paycheck" to rib them about their prices, DLM should be called "Whole Mortgage," because the prices on some of their stuff will water your eyes.
Here in "Cowboyville Arizona" 🤠
We have none of those fancy pants stores!
If I want to get gourmet stuff, I've got to drive a good 1 1/2 - 2 hours down into "The Big City".
Were we use to live 3 1/2 hours from here in NoAZ, there's a store that I liken (not exactly, but kinda)
to Wegmans on the East Coast 🤩 😍
I love Wegmans!
I also really like Publix

Here's the thing about Arizona:
If you don't live in one of the major cities, forget about it!
It's just very bare-bone basic stuff.
In a lot of the real rural areas, you have to drive maybe 2 hours to get the basics!
Folks `round here do alot of trade & barter for food stuffs and services.
My first question to a tradesmen is do you offer a cash discount? Or could I offer you a full hot lunch for a 25% discount?
Don't laugh! It works!

We're sorta out there, but not too far out there in the sticks and boonies 😁 and that's how we want it.

We're sorta out there, but not too far out there in the sticks and boonies 😁 and that's how we want it.
That's how we are.

off-grid except for electricity. Not even a hard telephone wire to the farm house. broadband & TV are both Satelitte (TV is only via internet). Mobile reception is best called "patchy ". It's actually not that far (to us at least) to the nearest city if it's the north you're going to. Distance wise most people do a double take, but when you point out that door to door is 45-50 minutes to the supermarket (135km round trip) or hubby's work it's fine - hospital is 75-80 minutes plus parking. Doctors is 40-45 minutes as is physio. Mention the idea of no corner shop or local supermarket to drop into and people get upset.
But 800 hectares (2,500 acres) and surrounded only by more sheep ranches, we've not really had to worry about being reported for spending all day everyday outside when stay at home orders exist (they actually state inside house 23hrs a day here!)
It is just very easy to run out of fuel very quickly with the distances we cover... 110km round trip for physio or doctors, 135km for a supermarket run into another state (that caused a few headaches but luckily rules explicitly stated we are considered border residents so are allowed into the city!

But we are considered too rural for supermarket delivery despite only being 10 minutes off a major highway (not that you would have any idea at all).

But I would much rather live on a farm/ranch surrounded by merino sheep and chickens than live on the outskirts of a village even.

Oh My TastyReuben , maybe the girls could share between their households that extra set and then once the time does come the second set could make it even-steven?
If we did that, that second set would "get lost" five minutes after they got it! :laugh:

We're just going to hold onto it for now.

What are you referring to? I lost the plot...
The salient points:

1. We just bought a fairly expensive set of blown glass ornaments

2. Unbeknownst until we started decorating, but we also apparently bought the same set of ornaments from the same shop in 2013.

3. Two nieces have laid separate claims to our ornaments after we pass on, and someone suggested we take the extra set and let them share it, trading off each Christmas.

4. I remarked that as soon as those ornaments landed in either nieces' hands, they'd suddenly become "lost," as in they'd keep them for themselves and claim they never had them to begin with.

A trip to Tori & Ben's to get the last of my Christmas meat, some fantastic lamb and thick cut steaks.

Here we see some future steaks relaxing with its mother.

The salient points:

1. We just bought a fairly expensive set of blown glass ornaments

2. Unbeknownst until we started decorating, but we also apparently bought the same set of ornaments from the same shop in 2013.

3. Two nieces have laid separate claims to our ornaments after we pass on, and someone suggested we take the extra set and let them share it, trading off each Christmas.

4. I remarked that as soon as those ornaments landed in either nieces' hands, they'd suddenly become "lost," as in they'd keep them for themselves and claim they never had them to begin with.

Thanks! Got it. I did read your original post but somehow a post got detached from it so I didn't relate it.

hubby forgot to get a salad dressing for our 2 lunch salads a week... so after running out of the spares the hospital had given me (once they are on your tray and in your room, if you don't use them they get thrown away which I hate, can't stand the western world's approach to waste) we were left with nothing to add to our next salad, so whilst I was at physio yesterday, he slipped into the local supermarket and came out with this....

We had it on lunch a few hours later. It's taste was totally not what I was expecting but I did adjust to it my the end of the meal. MG, this would be down your street total. not even a hint of sweetness to it!

I know, I could have made one, but I wasn't in the mood to and they never seem to as good.

MG, this would be down your street total. not even a hint of sweetness to it!

I might well - I tracked down the ingredients as I can't get it here. Says its a product of Thailand? Marion's Kitchen doesn't sound very Thai!

Ingredients: Water, vinegar (15%), miso (9%) (Soybean, rice, salt, sugar), light soy sauce (water, soybean, salt, rice flour, sugar), sesame oil (2.4%), ginger, sesame seeds (1.5%), tapioca starch, vegetable gum (415).

I might well - I tracked down the ingredients as I can't get it here. Says its a product of Thailand? Marion's Kitchen doesn't sound very Thai!

Ingredients: Water, vinegar (15%), miso (9%) (Soybean, rice, salt, sugar), light soy sauce (water, soybean, salt, rice flour, sugar), sesame oil (2.4%), ginger, sesame seeds (1.5%), tapioca starch, vegetable gum (415).
Marion’s Kitchen - Bring the Best Flavours of Asia to Home Kitchens
Thai inspired food it says.

but product of thailand just means made in thailand, nothing more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom