What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought some fresh tomatoes that actually looked pretty good. I hope I didn't throw away money on red water bombs, again.

Also, a russet potato for a baked potato meal in the next week, some slider rolls for two meals I'm working on, a red onion and a block of low moisture mozzarella.

A few of those items are for the new recipe challenge.

CD

I bought some fresh tomatoes that actually looked pretty good. I hope I didn't throw away money on red water bombs, again.

I have some arriving tomorrow (various types). Luckily I can get pretty good ones, either greenhouse grown here or imported from Italy/Spain from the supermarket. The days of tasteless tomatoes I remember very well, but as long as you don't buy rock bottom cheapest, the quality is now pretty good in the UK.

Just back from the international market:

The crisps/chips are cut off there, so that's smoky bacon and salt & vinegar at the bottom there.

I bought all the fixens for a Japanese dish/cooking style called ODEN. I wish I'd taken pics before putting everything in the pot.

There are sticks of wheat gluten, several different kinds of tofu, konyaku, "fish cakes" and at the base daikon -- all kept below the simmer for several hours before you eat it, then cooled and warmed up over several day. (The hot/cold cycle driving flavor deep into the ingredients.)

It's a great food for cold days because it keeps your home warm and smelling great. :)

I have some arriving tomorrow (various types). Luckily I can get pretty good ones, either greenhouse grown here or imported from Italy/Spain from the supermarket. The days of tasteless tomatoes I remember very well, but as long as you don't buy rock bottom cheapest, the quality is now pretty good in the UK.

It may be more of a North Texas thing than nationwide. You can grow tomatoes here in your garden, but you need to do a ton of soil amendments. Our soil is not right for tomatoes. It wouldn't be cost effective to do those soil amendments on a large scale. My home is built on what was once cotton fields.

CD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom