What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_2045.JPG

I stopped at the Farm Stand on my way home from my errands this afternoon.
I'd never seen yellow Zucchini before! And a nice small Patty Pan, these are going on the grill with our Steak this evening (details at 9 Chet).
The Tomato I think will be that last for the season, they'll be simply cut into wedges on DH's plate. He said they've been a touch on the sour side, so I think they're done as I mentioned.

I know at least one or two members on here besides me have ordered from Wild Forks. I live close to a store so can either pick it up or get delivery within an hour or 2, but they do ship. Got their regular weekly or biweekly e-mail a day or 2 ago that I kept because there were a couple of things that I was looking at. Just got done purchasing:

A 5 pound pack of boneless/skinless thighs for $11.40, which is $2.28 a pound. Yes, they have been injected with a brine but the reviews are great and you can't touch B/S thighs at the grocery, at least here, for anywhere near that, it's usually over $4 a pound.

A piece of Berkshire pig pork belly, about 4 pounds at $31.92, which is just under $8 a pound. They only charge for the exact amount but give you a ballpark figure on the web site. Have always wanted to try the Berkshire pork so I ordered it.

2 pieces of bone-in veal osso bucco for $11.98 a pound. They will be at least 1" thick. It's been hard, if not near impossible to find lately and the prices have been up closer to the $20 a pound mark at the little Italian deli, so we'll give these a whirl.

It's only a $4.95 charge for delivery to my door for me, plus tip of course. If I had thought about it, we would have gone there Friday as we ate out at an Italian place just south of the store, but I didn't and don't feel like driving over there again so soon, so have scheduled delivery for later today after we get home.

wildforkfoods.com
Yeah I order from them regularly and have "free" unlimited delivery (I pay a 1x yearly fee). It arrives flash frozen on dry ice. I know both medtran49 and caseydog have brick and mortar stores in their areas. I wish we did here.

Finally got to a Farmer´s Market yesterday. There´s supposed to be one in the town, but it doesn´t exist any more, so I had to go to a village about 6-7 miles away. Worth the effort, however:

The beer was brewed in a microbrewery about 20 miles away. Still have to try this one, but the brown ale was really good.
The cipollini pickled onions were absolutely fabulous. Still haven´t worked out what they´re pickled with, but I suspect balsamic and sugar/honey. The stallholder was Greek, so I´d already bought loads of olives, feta, baklava, before I even tried these. Came home with a half kilo...
Sussex Charmer is a matured cheese and, according to the producer, a mixture of cheddar and parmesan. Look forward to getting my gnashers around that.
And finally, an Indian lady who makes all her own chutneys and pickles, just like I used to! I tried the mango, pineapple & ginger, lime pickle, spicy tomato and we chatted about how she makes them, where the mangoes come from, how to mature the pickles, etc.

That's it! In Hawaii is the same!
DEElish bananas. They call them "manzano" (apple) bananas in Venezuela.
36788-albums322-picture8020-jpg.jpg

These yellow orbs are Manzano (apple) chilis. A local Mexican market carries them fresh. They are slightly north of the Serrano chili heat wise. Perhaps these would be good for stuffing.:heat: So be clear what you're asking for when you ask for "Manzano"!

These yellow orbs are Manzano (apple) chilis. A local Mexican market carries them fresh. They are slightly north of the Serrano chili heat wise. Perhaps these would be good for stuffing.:heat: So be clear what you're asking for when you ask for "Manzano"!
Seen them, worked with them, love them. In Venezuela and Perú, they´re called rocoto.
I once bought 3 kilos and decided to make some hot sauce. Didn´t use gloves and got Hunan Hand for 3 days.
They´re great for stuffing, but I seem to remember that the Peruvians cook them in boiling water for 5 minutes, drain the water, 5 more minutes, then drain and cook again. This gets rid of some of the "heat", and then they´re fine to stuff.

Next month is time for Hatch Chilis! I may order some and roast them in my rotisserie basket using wood as fuel. Maybe Winn Dixie will bring them into the produce Dept. and I can score them @ $.49 per pound like I did a couple years ago. This time I won't get the "El Scorcho" level!

karadekoolaid, Do you make a "mash" when making hot. sauce?

Wow! I joined an online foraging group this year (Facebook) and was surprised to learn that porcini, morels, enoki and all sorts of things grow here.

The only thing I bought today besides a thorough washing of my beloved car was a kilo of royal blue fondant for my friend to decorate a cake with.

What I got today for 6,26€:
- Two cans diced tomatoes (around 0,8€ each I think)
- 1kg regular long grain white rice (0,79€)
- 1kg wholegrain rice (0,89€)
- Bread (0,95€) - this is for my boyfriend, I hate this kind of bread just the smell makes me nauseous
- Over 1kg of onions (0,89€/kg)
- Garbage bags
1662059202952.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom