What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to a new Kroger, and one with a branding style I’ve never seen before:

That box of cereal was free, and the tea was on sale as well.

I went back to the new HEB in Frisco today. No line to get in, today. I finally got some Crystal's hot sauce (from Louisiana). Nobody else has it.

Here are a couple more photos. The Cheese and Charcuterie section and the "meal kits" section.

IMG_1968.JPG

IMG_1970.JPG

CD

I have been wondering for quite a while why you don't go to the deli counter and buy your deli meats fresh sliced.

CD
I do! 🙋‍♀️
I keep Ham, Turkey and Roast Beef, as well sliced Cheeses in the deep freeze.
I understand that Boar's Head is going to discontinue our favor flavored Hams, damn it all! 👿

I have been wondering for quite a while why you don't go to the deli counter and buy your deli meats fresh sliced.

CD
The pre-sliced stuff has a longer shelf life, and I’d read a little blurb awhile back from some government agency (FDA, USDA, one of those or the like) that fresh-sliced deli meats had a much higher incidence of contamination because of the handling and usually being co-located with raw food handling, and that delis may not always turn over some items fast enough, so you never quite know how long that hunk of bologna has been in there.

The pre-sliced stuff has a longer shelf life, and I’d read a little blurb awhile back from some government agency (FDA, USDA, one of those or the like) that fresh-sliced deli meats had a much higher incidence of contamination because of the handling and usually being co-located with raw food handling, and that delis may not always turn over some items fast enough, so you never quite know how long that hunk of bologna has been in there.

Well, there goes another 100 years of people doing something that should have killed them, and yet, it didn't.

I just bought a pound of Boar's Head low sodium ham and a half pound of Swiss cheese at the deli counter. Wish me luck, that I might survive another week.

CD

Well, there goes another 100 years of people doing something that should have killed them, and yet, it didn't.
I still buy stuff from the deli, like Lebanon bologna, since I can’t get that pre-sliced, or the cheese yesterday - all the blocks of longhorn were sold out.

Also, since MrsT started WW, about the only lunchmeat we buy is chicken and turkey, since those are no/low points.

Y'know TastyReuben our Fry's aka Krogers has pre-sliced/packaged Boar's Head meats and cheese.
I like to buy Boar's Head brand deli meats and cheeses because they have far less "not so good for ya stuff" in them.
The shelf life is shorter because there is little to no preservatives, so I divvy it all up for the deep freeze and only take out what we need at the moment.

Y'know TastyReuben our Fry's aka Krogers has pre-sliced/packaged Boar's Head meats and cheese.
I like to buy Boar's Head brand deli meats and cheeses because they have far less "not so good for ya stuff" in them.
The shelf life is shorter because there is little to no preservatives, so I divvy it all up for the deep freeze and only take out what we need at the moment.

I buy Boar's Head meats and cheeses, too. They make low sodium ham, chicken breast, turkey breast and roast beef. All of their deli meats and cheeses are top shelf. They cost more, but you can catch them on sale if you pay attention, and they are worth any extra you pay for them.

CD

I have to go to the big Kroger for that. My local Kroger doesn't carry Boar's Head...yet.

Wow, I thought all Kroger stores carried Boar's Head. Kroger's Private Selection deli items are also pretty good. But, now that we have an HEB in Frisco, I only go to Kroger for my prescriptions at their pharmacy.

HEB is opening a second location here right across the street from Kroger's first Marketplace store. HEB is going to put that store out of business, if Kroger doesn't get their act together. About six months ago, I shopped at that Marketplace store, and on my way out, passed the Manager. I stopped and told him, "This store is filthy." He made up some lame excuse and blew me off.

CD

Wow, I thought all Kroger stores carried Boar's Head.
No, it just depends on the location. There are things that I can get at my local small-town Kroger that I can’t get at any of the numerous Marketplace shops. 🤷‍♂️

The one that really gets me, though, is Meijer. It seems like we have as many Meijer shops as we have Kroger ones, and my favorite breakfast sausage (bulk), I can get that at exactly one Meijer, about 30 minutes away.

I can’t get it at any other Meijer, no Kroger carries it, no IGA, nor Dorothy Lane Markets or even Jungle Jim’s. One solitary Meijer. That’s it.

Any time I’m in that neighborhood, I come home with five pounds of sausage. :laugh:

No, it just depends on the location. There are things that I can get at my local small-town Kroger that I can’t get at any of the numerous Marketplace shops. 🤷‍♂️

The one that really gets me, though, is Meijer. It seems like we have as many Meijer shops as we have Kroger ones, and my favorite breakfast sausage (bulk), I can get that at exactly one Meijer, about 30 minutes away.

I can’t get it at any other Meijer, no Kroger carries it, no IGA, nor Dorothy Lane Markets or even Jungle Jim’s. One solitary Meijer. That’s it.

Any time I’m in that neighborhood, I come home with five pounds of sausage. :laugh:

Now I'm curious, what breakfast sausage it it?

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom