What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna try some on my hamburger

Got 2 loaves of bread (1kg total) and one small piece of ginger for 1,78€
1666176983523.png

We pay over ฿160.00/kg for decent bread (c. €4.00) but we can buy a bucket load of fresh ginger for peanuts. Unfortunately, ginger isn't the staff of life!

We pay over ฿160.00/kg for decent bread (c. €4.00) but we can buy a bucket load of fresh ginger for peanuts. Unfortunately, ginger isn't the staff of life!
This is the cheapest bread I can get, it was discounted at 1,7€/kg. Ginger was selling for 4,69€/kg, I paid 9 cents for that little piece.

Ginger was selling for 4,69€/kg, I paid 9 cents for that little piece.
That's cheap. Here it sells at ridiculous prices. I've seen it at $60/kg not that long ago but at the moment it is down around the $29/kg mark the cheapest it has been for quite a while. (Organic peaked at $100/kg and is currently $50‐60/kg.)

($29 AUD is €19/USD $18/£17/฿700 THB)

Blimey. Just before I left Caracas last year, I gifted 2 kgs of fresh ginger from my garden to a friend whose a chocolatier. Grows like crazy over there.

That's cheap. Here it sells at ridiculous prices. I've seen it at $60/kg not that long ago but at the moment it is down around the $29/kg mark the cheapest it has been for quite a while. (Organic peaked at $100/kg and is currently $50‐60/kg.)

($29 AUD is €19/USD $18/£17/฿700 THB)

View attachment 91544

View attachment 91545
What?? I thought you got it cheaper since you don't need to import it from so far away...

I see these posts about what things cost, and I have no idea what I pay for this stuff. I put things in the shopping cart, and pay for it. I see the total cost, but don't look at the individual item prices. That drove my ex-wife nuts. She would say things like, "I can't believe you paid $XXX for XXXXX." I would just look at her like an idiot, because I had no idea what I paid for whatever that food was.

When I shop for food, I look at things, and think, "I want to eat that," and buy it.

Hey Tasty, show this post to Mrs. T, and tell her, "You could have done a lot worse than me." :laugh:

CD

Hey Tasty, show this post to Mrs. T, and tell her, "You could have done a lot worse than me." :laugh:
All she has to do is look at three of my four brothers and know that’s true. Sorry, bros… :laugh:

I’m more or less the same with prices, when I quote them here, it’s because I went out and looked at them on the Kroger app.

Some things I know, though: Kroger half-and-half was $1.99 for a quart not long ago, now it’s $2.99. Eggs were about $5 for fancy eggs, now they’re $6-$7, that sort of thing.

Ginger root…not sold by the pound/kilo here, but by the piece, apparently, for $2.99.

I always look at the individual prices, because that's how you know what something truly costs. For example I see bags of minced meat discounted, 6€ for a 500g bag, but at the butchers' the regular price of minced meat is 6€ per kg. This is common with Lidl, they sell all their fish and meat prepackaged, they look affordable but when you look at price per kg, you realize Lidl is actually selling their meat and fish at double the price than the other supermarkets. It's also the best way to budget and plan your meals - for example people will buy a pack of cookies and say that's a cheap snack, but 1kg of cookies costs 5x times more than 1kg of bread, and you can get a lot more snacks out of 1kg of of bread than out of a 150g pack of cookies.

Of course, quality is something entirely separate from price, but some of us can't afford to choose food based only on quality and not consider the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom