What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another fresh example from Lidl :laugh: Next week they will have fish fillets discounted at 2,59€ for a 400g pack of fillets. That's 6,48€ per kg. But the other supermarket I go to (Auchan) sells the same variety of fish fillets for 6,24€/kg and that's their regular price.

My preferred brown sauce is Yorkshire Chop Sauce. However, my source dried up about 6 years ago so I have been on the hunt for an alternative. The nearest I could find was Waitrose Essential Brown Sauce which was available at our local "upmarket" supermarket for around ฿160.00. Then suddenly there are no bottles on the shelves and the manager has no idea why not.

I decided to check "mail order" in case I got close to running out. There were quite a number of outlets here selling the Waitrose sauce but I was amazed at the variation in prices. For a 480ml bottle prices ranged from ฿119.00 to ฿669.00. Of course the delivery charge was in addition, but was not dissimilar in most cases.

[Currently Sterling is equivalent to ฿43.00]

I always look at the individual prices, because that's how you know what something truly costs.
For a lot of dry goods, the price sticker on the shelf will display the per ounce price (if appropriate), and I’ll sometimes use that when comparison shopping. It makes it easy to compare the value of, say, this 18oz bottle of olive oil versus that 32oz bottle.

Some more hot sauce because that stuff is delicious!

Tropical fruit sauce with habanero on the left, birds eye chilli & garlic oil on the right. Might use the oil to spice up my fondue ❤️

For a lot of dry goods, the price sticker on the shelf will display the per ounce price (if appropriate), and I’ll sometimes use that when comparison shopping. It makes it easy to compare the value of, say, this 18oz bottle of olive oil versus that 32oz bottle.

I went grocery shopping yesterday evening for my mom and sister. I spent 72 dollars. I looked at the food in the bags, and thought, "How is that worth 72 dollars?.

But, I put in my sisters Volvo (another expensive thing I can't quite understand), and didn't think of it anymore.

CD

I went grocery shopping yesterday evening for my mom and sister. I spent 72 dollars. I looked at the food in the bags, and thought, "How is that worth 72 dollars?.

But, I put in my sisters Volvo (another expensive thing I can't quite understand), and didn't think of it anymore.

CD
I feel like that every time I go to the grocery. Fresh fruit and vegetables used to be super affordable. You could buy a whole week of fruit and vegetables for under 5€. Now I buy three potatoes and one garlic bulb and pay almost 3€ for it 😔

I had to smile when my usual lady cashier at the pharmacy yesterday queried why I was purchasing 2 packets of 30 tablets of my antihistamine instead of the usual single packet of 60 when she knew there were packets of 60 on the shelf but that stock of the 30's was running low.

The packet of 60 was $44.99. The packets of 30's were on special offer at $19.99 each. :o_o:nope not paying more to get same number...

I've been waiting for the last two weeks for red meat to go on sale, and finally it is, at 5,99€/kg (regular price is around 9€/kg). So I bought 1kg minced red meat + 2,6kgs red meat for stewing for 22,07€. Plus four apples for 0,4€.
1666339058011.png

That represents three grocery stores (Marc’s, Dorothy Lane Markets, and Kroger).
I’ll add that the cracked black pepper American cheese was very nice, and that brand of low-sodium ham is one I prefer to Boar’s Head. Marc’s is the only place I can find either of those.

I need that pack of Twinings black teas in my life :ohmy:I love Twinnings and I don't get their full variety here.

I need that pack of Twinings black teas in my life :ohmy:I love Twinnings and I don't get their full variety here.
Five years ago, I could get Twining’s only at a specialty store. Nowadays, I can get a small variety at the little Kroger in my hometown, and be spoilt for choice at a big Kroger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom