What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was speaking to a friend here yesterday and his wife grows turmeric. He dropped some root off today for my wife to plant.

That is a lot of turmeric!

If you haven't got any other fresh turmeric roots, pop one of those in the freezer - then grate straight from frozen into curry sauces etc. I don't bother to peel. A microplane is perfect for the grating. Then it goes straight back in the freezer for next time.

Why do the naughty bits always get sneaked in at the end of the shopping lists?
When I do my shopping, I almost always buy either some beer, a bottle of wine, or a bottle of bubbly (or some combo of all three).

I scan everything on my phone, then pay at the kiosk, because the attendant has to clear the booze. My order will transfer to the kiosk, and then the light will flash that I need help.

I used to say, "It's just the booze," or something like that, because that light can go off for all kinds of reasons.

Now, whenever I go through, it goes off, he comes over, and before I can say anything, he says, "I know, I know...it's the booze."

Most of the time now, when he sees me pull up to a kiosk, he just comes over and waits for the light to go off. :laugh:

We just had a nice drive down to Ploce in the river Neretva valley.Its the main fruit producing region in Dalmatia. There are about 50 of these local farmers stalls by the road. Selling fruit and other local produce, honey ,jam, olive oil, cheese wine and plumb brandy. It is legal here to have a still, you are allowed to make 5 litres of moonshine per family member over 16 yrs. My wife has 2 uncles with 29 kids between them

My grandpa had a still and supplied the surrounding area, apparently. He hid moonshine all over. When he got elderly and couldn't drive anymore, he used to tell my brother where to find some and my brother would go get it for him. "Take Mt. Graham road out 3 miles and turn on a dirt road. Look for the tallest saguaro and dig at the base of it. " That type of thing. Amazing what that man could remember.

Anyway, this is my haul for today.
Giant roaster for lemon crock pot chicken a'la Jas in the pot and ready to go.

Lots of fruit and veg freshly washed and drying.

I got these giant blackberries which will go into a cobbler today. I put one in a tablespoon for scale.

My grandpa had a still and supplied the surrounding area,
So did mine, my mom's dad. He had a somewhat secret room that was built under his front porch. However, he mainly just kept himself and a few friends supplied. He used it as barter more often than not. He was a bartering fool. He could trade anything for anything else.

Moonshine is all the rage the last few years. There is a restaurant/bar built on moonshine. I went there once, and could only handle two drinks.

Mash'd | Frisco Reservations

You are allowed to have a still here, with restrictions, of course. Limits on amounts, and no selling, of course. I would like to build one someday, just for the building of it. I have a friend in Louisiana who has one, and that stuff is wicked. But, it actually goes down pretty easy. Not hard to drink.

CD

Well what is funny is that my mother converted to a somewhat conservative sect of Christianity, but at every family reunion she would strum her guitar and sing this song in her glorious alto voice. Maybe not quite as glorious as Joan but we enjoyed it.
View: https://youtu.be/glMQXjy46J8

Moonshine is all the rage the last few years. There is a restaurant/bar built on moonshine. I went there once, and could only handle two drinks.

Mash'd | Frisco Reservations

You are allowed to have a still here, with restrictions, of course. Limits on amounts, and no selling, of course. I would like to build one someday, just for the building of it. I have a friend in Louisiana who has one, and that stuff is wicked. But, it actually goes down pretty easy. Not hard to drink.

CD
It's called Rakija here, they make various concoctions. Travaritca is rakija with health giving herbs placed in the bottle. One shot for breakfast is classed here as medicinal. My mother in a law makes version by adding her own walnuts. If I drink it 8 hrs later I have to be able to see a bathroom door. NB everyone who makes it sells it.

It's called Rakija here, they make various concoctions. Travaritca is rakija with health giving herbs placed in the bottle. One shot for breakfast is classed here as medicinal. My mother in a law makes version by adding her own walnuts. If I drink it 8 hrs later I have to be able to see a bathroom door. NB everyone who makes it sells it.

The last time I was in Italy, I was close to the East coast, I had a free day, and took a day-trip to Dubrovnik. I only had about six hours there, and had no Idea where to go, so I didn't get far from the old city. I had some lunch at a nice little cafe, and drank some beer. I also spent some time looking at the boats on the Adriatic Sea. I could imagine myself spending a lot more time there. I've owned four boats (so far), and could easily see myself sailing along the Croatian coast.

I would have to pass on the moonshine, but I'd be all-in on the fresh seafood.

CD

That is a lot of turmeric!

If you haven't got any other fresh turmeric roots, pop one of those in the freezer - then grate straight from frozen into curry sauces etc. I don't bother to peel. A microplane is perfect for the grating. Then it goes straight back in the freezer for next time.

I've cleaned and put this piece in the freezer.

Today, I ordered a large amount of stuff from MassFoodDelivery.com. (Which if Shermie hasn't discovered it, he might want to consider, since he also resides in this state.) It will arrive Thursday or Friday. One of each:

Cheddar, Sharp. It's CHEESE!
Broccolini. One of my favorite brassicas, alongside most cabbages.
Collard Greens. Another brassica, and I have a smoked ham hock in my freezer...
Chicken, Legs (drumsticks). They're GMO free and free ranged. (They are also organic, which I care a little less about.)
Lions Mane Mushrooms, dried. This way I don't have to eat them all at once, or dry them myself. A little dried mushroom goes a long way, and can provide towards a great umami broth. The word is that Lions Mane mushrooms taste a lot like lobster, but having visited Maine often enough, I can only vaguely see the resemblance. But they're good in their own right. Never had them dried, but I'm interested.
Gruyere, Wild Alpine. Not sure what the "wild alpine", but I'm in the mood to make a quiche, my hens willing. (I've been passing on eggs to others of late, so there aren't many in my larder atm.) Gruyere for me is essential to a great quiche.
Tortillas, corn. Growing into the mood for more soft tacos...
Pea shoots. They'd be fun in the tacos. And in salads.
Oatmeal Crisps, Original. 100% of the profits from this one, the business that makes this, goes to an a local farmers initiative in the area. I figured I'd give these a try. They're something I wouldn't have bought, especially at $9 a bag, but sometimes a good cause... and maybe I'll like them?
BBQ Spice Blend. The spices in this look like an intriguing and perhaps tasty blend of East and West.

A little more than I wanted to spend this round, but these people deliver themselves, without going through third-party delivery services - so nothing will get set into some ware house to decay before COVID snaggles allow them to deliver.
Q

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom