What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. I only use the powder. I bought that piece specifically for that photo.

Turmeric is not used much in Thai cuisine; not in these parts anyway.

Thanks so much for the answer, my recipe tried and trusted has 1 teaspoon turmeric powder in it. I just wondered if the root itself was used if it would be more pronounced?? Maybe your wife would know?

Russ

You are missing a treat - grate the root directly into your curry paste.

Yorky do you get fresh turmeric like the root plant? I only have access to powdered. Although I must check my Asian store for fresh root like plant. It surely must taste better than powder?? I get ginger fresh and frozen galangal no problems there.

Russ

Its lovely, much more aromatic than the powder and the colour is a more vibrant yellow. I used fresh root turmeric here:

Turmeric is not used much in Thai cuisine; not in these parts anyway.

I have received more information. Turmeric is used in the south of Thailand (I guess near the Malaysian border) for the cooking of fish. My wife, who is from the north east puts it on her face. Apparently it is also considered a relief for prickly heat.

I have received more information. Turmeric is used in the south of Thailand (I guess near the Malaysian border) for the cooking of fish. My wife, who is from the north east puts it on her face. Apparently it is also considered a relief for prickly heat.

You can keep a root in the freezer and grate from frozen into curry. I hope you give it a go.

No, I've not seem those for ages either, but then I don't buy cakes anymore. Didn't they sometimes have a squirt of strawberry jam inside, or am I thinking of something else? I could probably eat one if it had the proper creme patissiere inside, but not whipped cream. I loath whipped crime in anything.

It's many years since I had one but I believe you are correct about the jam.

I ordered foodstuff on the internet yesterday. For the first time. I needed English mustard powder and can only buy pre-made locally - powder is available 200 km away (sometimes). The shipping was ฿39.00 (about £1.00) which is far cheaper that driving 400 km.

An interesting price comparison:

McGarrett's English mustard powder - ฿350.00 for 454 gms

Coleman's English mustard powder - ฿359.00 for 113 gms.

I cannot tell the difference.

Last edited:
Cherries
Strawberries
Leeks
Courgette
Radishes
Onions
Avocado
Watercress
Gourmet new potatoes
Goose fat