What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
caseydog I love bulk food stores. Sadly they're not always cheaper than pre packaged food although for someone who doesn't have much pantry space and cooks for one there is some convenience in buying only the quantity you need.

Just back from the supermarket, today it’s a bit Italian random food: burrata from Puglia, Thistles from Sardinia, white wine from Tuscany, prickly pear from Lazio

View attachment 45328

Prickly pear cactus grows like weeds here. You can literally throw some cuttings in the garden, and they will take over. The red "flowers" are interesting. I made cocktails with them. They needed a lot of sugar.

CD

caseydog I love bulk food stores. Sadly they're not always cheaper than pre packaged food although for someone who doesn't have much pantry space and cooks for one there is some convenience in buying only the quantity you need.

I have lots of pantry space, so I find myself at the cashier counter with a look of shock on my face. "Um, how much?"

For me, it is almost all nuts. Plain, smoked, candied... they have them all. And, I buy them all. :facepalm:

CD

Tomatoes, courgettes and courgette flowers from that little shop

And another weekly shop in.

Tomatoes
Brussels sprouts
Cucumber
Courgette
Butterhead lettuce
Beetroot
Mango
Pears
Fingerling potatoes
Whole wheat bread
White bread
Whole milk
Kerrygold butter
Creme fraiche
Greek yoghurt
Farmers cheese
Brie
Liver sausage
Prawns
Merquez sausage
Honey
Vanilla extract
Gelatin
Tinned peaches
Aniseed powder
Fresh mint

From the Amish shopping trip tod:

Those whoopie pies are HUGE. The raspberry cream cheese rolls are a little worse for wear from sitting in the car a bit, but they'll be fine.

A similar excursion tomorrow, in the opposite direction. Oh, and I forgot the black raspberry longjohn my wife wanted.

These things don't exist in the UK. Maybe they deserve a new thread?
Actually, they do, by another name and shape. It's essentially a Swiss roll, just constructed differently.

Also, since the Amish are the kings and queens of sugar, I guarantee you that whoopie pie has about four times the sugar of any Swiss roll. They absolutely reek of sugar, and as soon as you bite into it, you'll know if you have any weak or sensitive teeth, because they'll start to throb.

The chocolate one is the traditional whoopie pie, followed closely by the oatmeal one (two oatmeal-raisin cookies with the cream). Amish do a lot with oatmeal. The other two (chocolate chip and peanut butter) are not quite as traditional.

The two fry pies are blackberry (MrsTasty) and raisin (me). Those plums are nearly the size of baseballs, too.

Actually, they do, by another name and shape. It's essentially a Swiss roll, just constructed differently.

Also, since the Amish are the kings and queens of sugar, I guarantee you that whoopie pie has about four times the sugar of any Swiss roll. They absolutely reek of sugar, and as soon as you bite into it, you'll know if you have any weak or sensitive teeth, because they'll start to throb.

The chocolate one is the traditional whoopie pie, followed closely by the oatmeal one (two oatmeal-raisin cookies with the cream). Amish do a lot with oatmeal. The other two (chocolate chip and peanut butter) are not quite as traditional.

The two fry pies are blackberry (MrsTasty) and raisin (me). Those plums are nearly the size of baseballs, too.

Let's see, donuts, pastries and whoopie pies. That should fix that blood sugar problem. :whistling:

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom