What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today? (2018-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
...and guess what Food & Wine magazine says pairs exceptionally well with tawny port? Almonds and almond desserts.

And here I am with two almond desserts left to make for the Almond Challenge... :whistling:

Hmmmmm, I'm not sure what the paring of Tawny Porto, or Tawny Port Wine, with almonds or a dessert would taste like. Since I prefer a Vintage Porto, which is a Ruby made from very select grapes from the Douro Valley of Portugal, I haven't experimented with Tawny pairings.

What is the difference between Porto and Port Wine? It is basically the same as the difference between Champagne and Sparkling Wine. It has to come from a particular region in Portugal to be called a Porto, and meet certain quality standards.

I will often choose a Vintage Porto over dessert at a fine dining restaurant.

CD

Restaurant store:
Raspberries
Peaches the size of grapefruits
Artichokes
Cranberries
Carrots
Jewish steak (not sure what the English name is, but it's a steak cut from a tender spot in the shoulder that doesn't bleed, hence the name. It is kosher)
Pork tenderloin (I'm not Jewish lol)
Chicken livers
Poulet noir (French white chicken with black legs)
Spianata romana
Farmer's cheese
Extra long frozen fries
Garlic bread

Regular store:
Potatoes
Courgettes
Cauliflower
Mango
Blueberries
Pears
Plums (fresh)
Eggs
Milk
Goat's cheese
Sausage
Minced beef
Tuna salad
Corn bread
Whole wheat bread
Sprouted vegetable seeds
Pancakes
Chocolate spread
Hotdogs
Jasmine tea

Last edited:
:hyper: I've always wanted to try this. You are under instruction to post photos of the dish you make! :D

Sorry, it's fillet. It's white as normal chicken , it just has black legs. Poulet noir boerderijkipfilet met vel - Lindenhoff

Powdered coconut milk and cocoa butter for homemade white chocolate. The batch is now in the fridge but I think it will turn grainy. Which is a great excuse for me to give it another try.

Image from iOS (161).jpg

caseydog I feel like people use the terms port and Porto wine interchangeably. Here in Portugal we only say Porto wine, because it comes from the Porto region of Portugal.

I feel like people use the terms port and Porto wine interchangeably. Here in Portugal we only say Porto wine, because it comes from the Porto region of Portugal.
Yup. Even the bottle I have, which comes from Portugal, has "porto" on the front label, and "port" in the description on the back label.

Yup. Even the bottle I have, which comes from Portugal, has "porto" on the front label, and "port" in the description on the back label.
Do you want to post a pic of the bottle? Curious about what brand it is.

TastyReuben something for you to do when you come to Portugal. Several companies offer boat tours in the Douro river + wine and cheese tastings in Porto. I think you will love it.

TastyReuben something for you to do when you come to Portugal. Several companies offer boat tours in the Douro river + wine and cheese tastings in Porto. I think you will love it.
Yes, definitely. We've already looked into it and are in the beginning stages of planning a Douro River riverboat cruise, with an extension in Lisbon.

I don't know why, since I've never had any interest or connection to Portugal growing up, but the last five years or so, I've been Portugal mad, like I'm absolutely desperate to get there, and I'm constantly reading about it and watching videos online and figuring out things to do and places to eat.

It's jumped over a lot of "must-see" places on my list to Number One.

TastyReuben I'd be more than happy to help plan that trip for you and Mrs Tasty when it happens!
Thanks! We're at a bit of an impasse at the moment, which is all moot because we're not going anywhere anyway. :laugh:

She's pushing for a self-drive tour around the north of Scotland, and I'm all-in for Portugal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom