What produce/ingredients did you buy or obtain today (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t remember where I read it, but for whatever reason, they don’t put that edible food wax on cukes like they do apples, citrus, etc, so they wrap them instead.

Just found this: The 3 Reasons English Cucumbers Come Wrapped In Plastic
First thing we do is to cut them out of it because they last longer in our fridge without the plastic.

Over here English cucumbers are called continental cucumbers vs the Lebanese cucumber and the qukes. (A specialty variety - made to be mini | Perfection Fresh Australia)

The canned chili is for chili sauce for enchiladas and/or tamales. The meat is very finely ground.

IMG_2389.JPG

My first strawberry purchase of the summer. They smelled good in the store...

1686267314522.jpeg

...and are red all the way through, and really sweet.

1686267428268.jpeg

I got some tomatoes and mozzarella, too. I have three basil plants in the garden.

1686267493013.jpeg

I saw these new Doritos flavors. I didn't buy them.

1686267545379.jpeg

CD

My wife bought some "rough" minced pork for burgers on Wednesday.

Yesterday I discovered that we only had two wax paper discs left (the press came with only 100, i.e. 50 burgers) so I had to cut some from the sheet. I now have another kitchen job that I hate.

My wife bought some "rough" minced pork for burgers on Wednesday.

Yesterday I discovered that we only had two wax paper discs left (the press came with only 100, i.e. 50 burgers) so I had to cut some from the sheet. I now have another kitchen job that I hate.

I get my burger sheets from a restaurant supply store. Do you have anything like that near you? The ones I get are not round, but work just fine. IIRC, your burger press is pretty much the same as mine.

CD

I get my burger sheets from a restaurant supply store. Do you have anything like that near you?

As far as I'm aware, we have nothing like that local. I obtained the press on-line and, of course, they don't sell the discs separately. I'll try square discs next time. I have a paper cutter which may make it easier.

Paper cutter s.jpg

[Edit: I've done a trial run at cutting the squares and it works fine].

Last edited:
Yesterday I bought 6 large jars of pimento stuffed olives, 3/4 lb of salmon, 3/4 pound of Chilean seabass, 1 lb asparagus, some arborio rice, 1 pound of lobster tails, 1/2 lb smoked salmon, 3 loaves of bread (for my groundhog's pb sandwiches), 3 lbs bananas (for the groundhog), mushrooms, strawberries, cheese (cheddar and gouda), and a few other things. I never think about taking photos until after it's put away, lol.

I have been looking for Sumac for a week or two, and none of the main stores have it. So, today I popped into the Indian Grocery store near my house just to see if they might have it. It was a nice looking store. A pretty decent number of customers were in it. Frisco has a substantial Indian community. The store has been there for years, and I drive past it all the time, but today was my first time inside it.

Within about two minutes, I was wondering if I had grown an extra head, or my fly was open, because that's how people were looking at me. I was the only non-Indian in the place, and one might think I was the first non-Indian they had ever seen. I clearly did not feel welcome.

I looked through the spices quickly, and got out of there. That was weird.

CD

I have been looking for Sumac for a week or two, and none of the main stores have it. So, today I popped into the Indian Grocery store near my house just to see if they might have it. It was a nice looking store. A pretty decent number of customers were in it. Frisco has a substantial Indian community. The store has been there for years, and I drive past it all the time, but today was my first time inside it.

Within about two minutes, I was wondering if I had grown an extra head, or my fly was open, because that's how people were looking at me. I was the only non-Indian in the place, and one might think I was the first non-Indian they had ever seen. I clearly did not feel welcome.

I looked through the spices quickly, and got out of there. That was weird.

CD
Wow that sucks. I shop at ethnic stores regularly and no one bats an eyelash.

I’ve had that happen in a couple of specialty shops like that. I never know if they’re actually suspicious of me, or if I’m just misinterpreting some body language.

Those grilled marinated olives that show up in my salads…I got those in a Middle Eastern shop, and the husband/father just glared at me the whole time, and the wife/mother sort of followed me from aisle to aisle - it was the teenaged kid who talked to me at checkout.

Same thing happens at one of the mall pizza places I go to, and something similar happened at an Eastern European/Russian shop - adults giving me the stink eye, kids helping me out.

My response is to be annoying overly nice, and to always buy something, even if I don’t want it. :laugh:

My response is to be annoying overly nice, and to always buy something, even if I don’t want it. :laugh:

I wanted to ask an employee for assistance finding Sumac (if they had it). I decided not to draw any more attention to myself. I left, and will never go back.

I used to go to a Middle-Eastern store in North Dallas years ago. My Persian neighbor took me there the first time. The mom and pop owners were very nice to me. If they are still around, that's were I should go to look for Sumac.

CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom