What rice do you use

Where in California is rice grown. I know they are a top rice producer, but I've been all over the state, and seen all kinds of agriculture, but never rice fields. So it has to be somewhere I haven't been.

CD

You need lots of water for rice. So, it is grown in northern California. I have seen rice fields off the I-5 in the Sacramento Valley, while traveling up to Shasta/Whiskey Town area. The paddies I have seen are in the area near Chico.

Last edited:
It was once considered a “Black Market” exotic version.
Really holds its flavor, not too sticky just sticky enough to enhance the flavor and texture.

When I was working at LA Airport the most common two passenger baggage items loaded on the Japan Air Lines planes heading home were Sony Trinitron TVs and 25 lb sacks of Cal Rose rice.

I read someplace long ago the California rice growers perfected paddy water flow and drainage to the precision effect that made a huge difference in the crop yield, grain quality and robust flavor.

Googled that tale but nothing came up.

I read someplace long ago the California rice growers perfected paddy water flow and drainage to the precision effect that made a huge difference in the crop yield, grain quality and robust flavor.

Googled that tale but nothing came up.

Maybe not the article you mean but I was looking at this earlier: American Commodity Company » The Facts About California Rice Production
Because rice is an aquatic plant, continuous flooding is the most effective method of irrigation. Flooding effectively enhances weed control and minimizes the need for herbicides and additional fertilizers. Our industry recognizes that water is an ever-increasingly limited and expensive resource. In the last 30 years, CA rice production has achieved a 40% increase in water use efficiency. By utilizing unique irrigation processes, water quality problems associated with other crops and locales such as soil erosion and high concentrations of trace elements are typically not a problem with rice farming. The use of EPA-designated “Reduced Risk” formulations in CA rice production constitutes 25% of total pesticide applications today, representing an 87% increase since the year 2000. The movement to these “Reduced Risk” formulations is expected to continue in the coming years.

California also produces 81% of the world's almonds and 100% of the U.S. commercial supply. For a state that seems to perpetually be in a drought, the amount of water they use for just these crops (not even touching on grapes, oranges, and other fruits) is staggering.

California also produces 81% of the world's almonds and 100% of the U.S. commercial supply. For a state that seems to perpetually be in a drought, the amount of water they use for just these crops (not even touching on grapes, oranges, and other fruits) is staggering.

Agriculture has a powerful influence on water governance in CA, to the detriment of population centers.

Since daughter moved in last year she got me onto jasmine rice. I love the stuff. I used some brown rice but didn't like it all. We ran out of jasmine and we only just got it a week or two ago. I'm having rice with kebabs tonight. I also have arborio for risotto .
Do you have a go to rice?

Russ
It depends what cuisine I'm cooking. My all rounder is wholegrain Basmati and my go to for Indian dishes. For Japanese or Thai it's either Jasmine or a Basmati / wild rice mix. For risotto, I prefer Carnaroli rice as it keeps it's shape better, produces a creamier risotto and is virtually impossible to overcook.

Mine are basmati or sushi/Calrose white rices. I sometimes want brown rice - I think it goes well with Thai dishes, but otherwise I start with the other two.

Is jasmine rice a variant of basmati? I don't know (but I like it).

Mice last fall ate into my supply of red rice and my black/forbidden rice. I haven't gotten around to replacing, but at least the mice are gone, now. I need to return to my Asian market, but there's been an upsurge in COVID that way, so I have not visited.

Back
Top Bottom