What rice do you use

Carnaroli for risotto and baked rice pudding. Basmati, Jasmine for everything else.
1614671738492.png

We ate rice only one way when I was growing up - rice pudding. That was it. No fried rice, no risotto, no rice in soups or as a side dish, no rice-a-roni, just rice pudding, and it's still my favorite way to have it.

Same here. I think the first time I had rice in a savoury dish was in an Indian restaurant as a teenager. Now its very different - everyone grows up eating rice in savoury dishes and not many people eat rice pudding.

My favourite is 'aged' basmati.

Basmati, almost without exception. The one exception recently was when we had the first lockdown last March and we couldn't seem to get any basmati anywhere for a little while. We got a five kilo bag of plain rice, which did the trick. Plenty of basmati around now - we usually have white, but sometimes brown for a change.

Oh, I forgot about forbidden (black) rice, but we just buy that when we have a specific use for it.

we use all of them - Carolina 'white' - basmati, Texmati, aborio, wild - I try to use one that will add a flavor touch to the dish....

here's a question tho - the Carolinas were actually the/among? the first to cultivate rice - it having been 'secretly imported'

there is "Carolina Gold" - supposedly the original strain. anyone tried it? is it worth getting some?

My work security won't let me open this page for some reason, but I found another that I could open that tells the story:

The Story of Carolina Gold, the Best Rice You've Never Tasted

Quite an entertaining story, too.

Unfortunately, it appears to not be available in Europe; amazon.co.uk didn't have it available, but you can order a book where you can read about it:

41uPfe6maCL.jpg

Last edited:
Calrose white rice, rinsed and cooked in a rice cooker. Ya just can't top it. Considered a delicacy in Japan. I've always used it and the kids can no longer stand Minute Rice.

Sometimes Mix it 50/50 with your favorite Rice a Roni, throw in some blackened Adel's Chicken and Pineapple sausage, seasonings and you have a hell of a dish.
I usually use chicken or vegetable stock instead of water for an extra flavor kick.
Google images:

91uyDCJxGBL._SY445_.jpg
61c1W52KM8L._SY550_.jpg

Calrose white rice, rinsed and cooked in a rice cooker. Ya just can't top it. Considered a delicacy in Japan. I've always used it and the kids can no longer stand Minute Rice.

Sometimes Mix it 50/50 with your favorite Rice a Roni, throw in some blackened Adel's Chicken and Pineapple sausage, seasonings and you have a hell of a dish.
I usually use chicken or vegetable stock instead of water for an extra flavor kick.
Google images:

View attachment 58393View attachment 58394

Where in California is rice grown. I know they are a top rice producer, but I've been all over the state, and seen all kinds of agriculture, but never rice fields. So it has to be somewhere I haven't been.

CD

Where in California is rice grown. I know they are a top rice producer, but I've been all over the state, and seen all kinds of agriculture, but never rice fields. So it has to be somewhere I haven't been.

CD
"Rice production is concentrated in the Sacramento Valley, where about 95% of California rice is grown, with the balance grown in a few counties of the northern San Joaquin Valley."

:)

Back
Top Bottom