What's for Easter Dinner?

Diane Lane

Veteran
Local time
3:05 PM
I often cook a ham for Easter. That's what I grew up eating, and I love ham, but I think this year I might make lamb chops. Although I love ham, I don't need a lot of leftovers, and I like the idea of the chops. In addition to my own past Easter celebrations, when I think of the holiday, my former neighbors also come to mind. They would celebrate Eastern Easter, also called Orthodox Easter, because they were Greek. They'd roast a whole lamb in their backyard, and the smell would drive me crazy. My dad and I were the only ones who ate lamb, so I'll be thinking of him when I enjoy my Easter dinner, as usual.

Because I enjoy the actual taste of the lamb and don't get it very often, I like to keep the recipe very basic, such as this one: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/grilled-lamb-chops-with-mint-recipe.html

What's everyone planning to cook for Easter?

I have not yet given a thought to Easter dinner, but come to think of it, Easter is just around the corner. However, I got a hint that I would be invited out again this year as usual, so the dinner planning will not fall to me. I may be asked to bring a dish of some sort, but this has not been confirmed as yet. I too like to have ham for Easter, so I may probably buy one. Lamb is not something that I normally eat at Easter time. It would most probably be baked chicken and fried fish, and possibly pork as well.

I haven't even thought about Easter. If I don't get an invite to go out of town, it will probably be ham or even salmon. Although I remember one Easter it was too hot to cook ham here,,,We ended up grilling outside! An Easter barbecue!

Easter in the Philippines is a different celebration because the previous season which is lent is a time for reflection and sacrifices. That means Easter is like breaking the abstinence. Aside from the Easter egg hunt, we have good food during Easter and most of the time steak of the special native dishes like menudo or kare-kare. Menudo is a pork dish cooked in tomato sauce that has an exotic taste. Another exotic dish is kare-kare, a beef dish that is cooked in peanut butter and fried rice broth. It is really unique but special.

We will be having pot roast, potatoes, carrots, corn, and deviled eggs. Typically I make turkey and ham. This past couple of holidays, being pregnant, they both turned my stomach. We thought we'd try something different this year.

I don't do holidays. It's a 'religious' thing for want of a better word. Still I cook more and experiment when I have a holiday. I want to try something I have found here and I have not decided as yet. One thing I'd love to learn to make is a hot cross bun. The bun would be enough. Besides that I would love to try something from https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/the-cookingbites-recipe-challenge.6160/page-32#post-48567. By the way I have not seen any entries from @Theboysmom04, @Diane Lane, @Corzhens, @kgord and many others. I am canvassing so @Caribbean girl will have a hard time finding a winner. It's a friendly competition and the more the merrier:). You still have time left so let's see some more Pumpkin recipes.

I don't do holidays. It's a 'religious' thing for want of a better word. Still I cook more and experiment when I have a holiday. I want to try something I have found here and I have not decided as yet. One thing I'd love to learn to make is a hot cross bun. The bun would be enough.
Hot Cross Buns! I was intending to cook, photograph and post some rather special ones in the next few days. I have a great recipe - well, not my recipe entirely. Watch this space.:D

Hot Cross Buns! I was intending to cook, photograph and post some rather special ones in the next few days. I have a great recipe - well, not my recipe entirely. Watch this space.:D
I can't wait. I have them on my 'before I die' list so do hurry. I love them. I honestly don't care much for the cross and that added sweetness. Of course you know I am not a bun or bread maker having put everything on hold since that tough wholewheat bread I attempted. I think the entire household would be thrilled if I made something like hot cross buns.

I can't wait. I have them on my 'before I die' list so do hurry. I love them. I honestly don't care much for the cross and that added sweetness. Of course you know I am not a bun or bread maker having put everything on hold since that tough wholewheat bread I attempted. I think the entire household would be thrilled if I made something like hot cross buns.

The cross shouldn't be sweet - at least not in the authentic UK version! But I have googled and I see that American versions use a sugary cross. Yuk!

I love them. I honestly don't care much for the cross and that added sweetness.

Well the cross on the buns is why they are called 'hot cross buns' in the first place. Without the cross on them, they would just resemble a regular bun. I like hot cross buns too, but have not bought any of them yet for the season. I like them with raisins too - the whole works. I have found though, that recently the buns are not as hot or gingery as they used to be. I like my hot cross buns with a lot of ginger, but it seems like the makers are cutting back on the ginger. I have never tried making them myself.

Easter dinner is probably my most favorite of all. We are going to have a ham, mashed potatoes, an assortment of veggies, and plenty of sweets. I am totally looking forward to a big platter of hardboiled deviled eggs as well.

In our family, the Easter dinner is very similar to a Christmas dinner. We have turkey, roast and boiled potatoes,an assortment of vegetables, stuffing, apple sauce, cranberry sauce and gravy. We also have a traditional simnel cake.

I forgot about hot cross buns! I do like those. We are having chicken and biscuits..and I am going to make mashed potatoes. I have been craving them like crazy. Naturally, some kind of vegetable will be in order and I have a nice lemon cake for dessert. FYI the American version is only slightly sweet. I think you would like them.

I often cook a ham for Easter. That's what I grew up eating, and I love ham, but I think this year I might make lamb chops. Although I love ham, I don't need a lot of leftovers, and I like the idea of the chops. In addition to my own past Easter celebrations, when I think of the holiday, my former neighbors also come to mind. They would celebrate Eastern Easter, also called Orthodox Easter, because they were Greek. They'd roast a whole lamb in their backyard, and the smell would drive me crazy. My dad and I were the only ones who ate lamb, so I'll be thinking of him when I enjoy my Easter dinner, as usual.

Because I enjoy the actual taste of the lamb and don't get it very often, I like to keep the recipe very basic, such as this one: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/grilled-lamb-chops-with-mint-recipe.html

What's everyone planning to cook for Easter?

I don’t normally cook anything special for Easter, but this year I decided to do a special meal. I plan to make ham, mac and cheese, string beans and rolls. As for desert, I make do brownies (from the box). I also plan to cook on Sat. so after church on Sunday, I can just relax and heat up the special meal.

Shoulder of lamb with onions, garlic and balsamic vinegar, cooked long and slow - about 6 hours until the meat can be pulled off and the onions and balsamic have caramelised into an unctious sauce. Serves with creamy mashed potato and whatever veg looks good at the market this morning. May have a go at making hot crossed buns - Jamie Oliver has a recipe that looks really good.

Back
Top Bottom