What's going on in your garden (2023)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol , so my mate dafyd asked for some pears..i rang daughter turns out pears are quinces . I have never seen or had these. Any knowledge on quinces??

Russ
Yeah. I like quinces but a lot of people don't.
Quince paste or quince cheese (is always been called that, nothing to do with veganism) are the most common uses. We used to add it to some crumble or apple tart as our main use of it. I think you can make quince chutney as well but I've not done that.

Yeah. I like quinces but a lot of people don't.
Quince paste or quince cheese (is always been called that, nothing to do with veganism) are the most common uses. We used to add it to some crumble or apple tart as our main use of it. I think you can make quince chutney as well but I've not done that.
I'll check the inter.

Russ

Bought this today to stick out in the ground by the herb garden - a nice bit of color:

2C1BBE64-A8E2-47F8-BB0D-74EBC7608329.jpeg

I didn't take a photo, but I harvested the rest of the earlier ripening variety of pears on my dual graft pear tree, yesterday.

I've started dehydrating the pear slices.
The pears are significantly smaller this year because of the lack of water since the start of the year, but they are stunningly sweet once ripe.

Each day I process the pears, I end up with a jar this size of pear chips.

16797954107142101405490622550638.jpg

I've only taken about 40kg of pears so far this season of this variety. Last year the harvest was over 100kg of this variety (there are 3 main branches of this variety and only 1 of the other variety).

I didn't take a photo, but I harvested the rest of the earlier ripening variety of pears on my dual graft pear tree, yesterday.

I've started dehydrating the pear slices.
The pears are significantly smaller this year because of the lack of water since the start of the year, but they are stunningly sweet once ripe.

Each day I process the pears, I end up with a jar this size of pear chips.

View attachment 97833

I've only taken about 40kg of pears so far this season of this variety. Last year the harvest was over 100kg of this variety (there are 3 main branches of this variety and only 1 of the other variety).
Good to see a fellow preserver. Make stuff for later. :)

Good to see a fellow preserver. Make stuff for later. :)
We do the same with plums. I'm either dehydrate the apples on a similar manner or make apple cider vinegar from them. Not sure yet because they haven't started to come off the tree and they could do with being a bit bigger. Again the tree is struggling with the lack of rain. We've also got a freezer full of spicy pear chutney. I ran out of jars, so got it to the point where it was still a bit thinner than wanted, then froze it with the plan to defrost, return to the boil and then jar it. We're still eating last year's chutney!

We do the same with plums. I'm either dehydrate the apples on a similar manner or make apple cider vinegar from them. Not sure yet because they haven't started to come off the tree and they could do with being a bit bigger. Again the tree is struggling with the lack of rain. We've also got a freezer full of spicy pear chutney. I ran out of jars, so got it to the point where it was still a bit thinner than wanted, then froze it with the plan to defrost, return to the boil and then jar it. We're still eating last year's chutney!
Recipe for apple vinegar please. Daughter has apples for Africa.

Russ

You can use the quinces to make quince jelly, like the Spanish do. This recipe looks good:
Quince jelly
Or, if you want to be adventurous, make a North Italian condiment with the quinces:
Mostarda
I´ve actually made some and it´s an interesting tweak on traditional chutneys or pickles.

You can use the quinces to make quince jelly, like the Spanish do. This recipe looks good:
Quince jelly
Or, if you want to be adventurous, make a North Italian condiment with the quinces:
Mostarda
I´ve actually made some and it´s an interesting tweak on traditional chutneys or pickles.
2-3 medium quinces and 1½-2 cups of sugar!
I wouldn't be seriously questioning the need for that volume of sugar. That's basically a sugar paste with quince flavouring.

Quinces are not usually that big. We grow them here, and used to have a massive "bush" of them when we lived in the UK those were unusually large, plus family always had japonica growing, so they were always around.

Making a quince jelly/dulce de membrillo is similar to making jam . My mum always made jam with 1 kilo fruit to 1 kilo sugar. In Venezuela, I find cane sugar to be sweeter than beet sugar, so I only use 1 kg fruit to 800 gms sugar.
I looked through a dozen Spanish recipes for this, and the proportions are around 75-80% sugar to a kilo of fruit, which is what I´d expect it to be. According to google, a medium quince is about 250 gms, so 3 would be around 750 gms; the 1 1/2 cups (300 gms) to 2 cups (400) only just passes 50%.

Making a quince jelly/dulce de membrillo is similar to making jam . My mum always made jam with 1 kilo fruit to 1 kilo sugar. In Venezuela, I find cane sugar to be sweeter than beet sugar, so I only use 1 kg fruit to 800 gms sugar.
I looked through a dozen Spanish recipes for this, and the proportions are around 75-80% sugar to a kilo of fruit, which is what I´d expect it to be. According to google, a medium quince is about 250 gms, so 3 would be around 750 gms; the 1 1/2 cups (300 gms) to 2 cups (400) only just passes 50%.
I too use the 50/50 fruit to sugar ratio.
It works for me. As far as I know my mum And nana did the same.

Russ

Absolutely nothing it has been almost non stop rain over the past few weeks...it is pouring down now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom