When to add cheese and tomato sauce to pizza

Amateur1

Local time
10:45 AM
When making pizza with grated mozarella cheese and tomato sauce, is it best to add them before or after I've put the pizza in the oven at 250F for 12 minutes?

A "classic" pizza would always put the tomato sauce, covered with grated mozzarella, on before baking the pizza - otherwise the cheese won´t melt.

Will melting the cheese at that temperature affect the protein or fat content?

250F? At 12 minutes, you probably need closer to 450F.

When making pizza with grated mozarella cheese and tomato sauce, is it best to add them before or after I've put the pizza in the oven at 250F for 12 minutes?
Yeah, I think your confusing fahrenheit with celsius. Personally I set to 500F.

Or, you do a precook for 12 minutes @250 then add ingredients, then reset temp? I'm not sure but no, this is a different type of pie. :okay:

I "bake" the base (whether home made or bought) for about 5 minutes at 250°C to crisp one side. Then turn it over and add tomato sauce (drained) and cheese and it goes back in the oven until the cheese melts (about 10 minutes). Somewhere on the pizza I usually add raw onions, chopped chilli peppers, pepperoni, salami or cooked bacon, mushrooms and top with dried oregano.

Thanks. Would those pizza recipes freeze
I have a standard oven with a maximum setting of 250.
If it is celsius, then the original question returns. Would 12 minutes destroy the nutrients in the cheese? 250c = 482f

Your not sure if your oven is in c or f ?

Why not do a field trial where you turn on your oven to max and then feel the heat when you open the door, that generally will be a pretty good tell tale sign. Another field trial would be to put something in the oven, like for example a piece of bacon at your 250 max and see what happens, if it barely cooks it and looks uneatable after 20 minutes, then your right you oven is in f but if it's burnt then it's c. Try that and let us know your findings.

Last edited:
Thanks. Would those pizza recipes freeze
I have a standard oven with a maximum setting of 250.
If it is celsius, then the original question returns. Would 12 minutes destroy the nutrients in the cheese? 250c = 482f

I freeze the bases and the tomato sauce. I've not tried freezing the complete constructed pizza - never seen the need.

Your not sure if your oven is in c or f ?

Why not do a field trial where you turn on your oven to max and then feel the heat when you open the door, that generally will be a pretty good tell tale sign. Another field trial would be to put something in the oven, like for example a piece of bacon at your 250 max and see what happens, if it barely cooks it and looks uneatable after 20 minutes, then your right you oven is in f but if it's burnt then it's c. Try that and let us know your findings.

If its a UK oven it will be centigrade unless its an antique.

I freeze the bases and the tomato sauce. I've not tried freezing the complete constructed pizza - never seen the need.
If someone is using fresh dough and making the base then individual pizza's can be made and frozen individually before cooking and not after, with decent results. Not something I've done but know it's better than trying to freeze pizza after it's cooked. Don't think that would be very appetizing.

My oven is celsius / centigrade. Sorry for the confusion. From Yorky's reply it seems there is nothing wrong with leaving the pizza in the oven with the cheese at 250c for 12 minutes.
Yorky Do you put the toppings in the oven with the pizza or prepare them separately then put them on the pizza? I used to put frozen mixed veg on the top and put it in the oven, but it got burnt. Therefore, I put it in the microwave whilst the pizza is in the oven.

Back
Top Bottom