Who Uses Bisquick to Bake With?

I just watched a YouTube video from Mashed on pancake mixes, wort to best. Betty Crocker Buttermilk was worst, and Bisquick was second worst. The best was a brand called Maple Grove Farms of Vermont. Never heard of it.

CD

I just watched a YouTube video from Mashed on pancake mixes, wort to best. Betty Crocker Buttermilk was worst, and Bisquick was second worst. The best was a brand called Maple Grove Farms of Vermont. Never heard of it.

CD
BC and Bisquick are both General Mills products...probably pretty close to the same thing. Never heard of the other one either. Interesting.

Apparently they carry Maple Grove products at H.E.B.

Last edited:
I make the dough in 5 minutes, then use a timer to advise me when it´s proved:happy::happy:
You use instant rise yeast i'm guessing? I've just got the regular. It takes me 5-10 minutes to just froth the yeast/water mixture before adding the flour. But I count the entire time to mix and prove dough, so it takes much longer than 5 minutes to make pizza dough.

I don't use a timer, the temperature in my house varies greatly so I just look at it to see how it's doing.

Still can't figure out why anyone makes pizza dough with a baking mix like Bisquick that contains leavening agents like baking powder. The crust would be very odd, right?

Yep - I buy a half kilo packet of dried yeast, and keep it in the freezer.
The temperature in Caracas is always between 25-27ºC (77-81ºF) so heat is not a problem. The timer is simply so I can go off and do something else while the dough is rising.

CD
When I was buying pancake & waffle mixes, I settled on Krusteaz - fairly decent, and a lot better than the Hungry Jack and whatever they’re calling Aunt J***** pancake mixes now.

Still can't figure out why anyone makes pizza dough with a baking mix like Bisquick that contains leavening agents like baking powder. The crust would be very odd, right?
Cracker crust pizza uses baking powder (and soda) for the leavening, and it works very well (if you like that style of pizza), and there’s no rise time - I can have the pizza ready to go before the oven heats up! :cool:

Cracker crust pizza uses baking powder (and soda) for the leavening, and it works very well (if you like that style of pizza), and there’s no rise time - I can have the pizza ready to go before the oven heats up! :cool:
I think the ratio must be different in Bisquick, though. It would not make a cracker crust I think. I think it would be more...well, biscuit-like.

Last edited:
Since I was in town today, here’re pics of the side and back of a Bisquick box, so all our international friends can see what you can do with it:

That pizza does indeed look a mess.

Back
Top Bottom