Who Uses Bisquick to Bake With?

Heh yeah just pulling everything out and putting it back takes longer for me. I don't really care that much for pancakes, so I never took a lot of effort in making them from scratch. Usually making them for the kids anyway if I'm doing it.

Obviously I'm now going to have to make an American pancake mix and time myself. :laugh:
Although some people occasionally use it for that, Bisquick is not a pancake mix!

I like buttermilk pancakes and I always use an egg as well. Typically I will add vanilla (or Malibu rum), and as mentioned before, pureed fruit in the batter.

Last edited:
Although some people occasionally use it for that, Bisquick is not a pancake mix!

I like buttermilk pancakes and I always use an egg as well. Typically I will add vanilla (or Malibu rum), and as mentioned before, pureed fruit in the batter.

Ah - well the packets I googled said they were pancake and baking mix and had a big picture of pancakes on the packet (with pictures of other baking goods less dominant) so I assumed they were often used for that.

Ah - well the packets I googled said they were pancake and baking mix and had a big picture of pancakes on the packet (with pictures of other baking goods less dominant) so I assumed they were often used for that.

View attachment 83564
Ok, fair enough. Just not in my experience. I don't personally think they make great pancakes. I'd rather use Hungry Jack pancake mix, lighter, fluffier pancakes.

Shows you how long it's been since I bought it, last time I bought a box it had an image of biscuits on the front. I never remember it being called pancake and baking mix before.

Edited because I was reading online that it's being pushed to consumers to use Bisquick for pancakes. They make it sound like everyone uses it for that. But everyone I know who makes pancakes uses Hungry Jack or Pearl Milling (formerly Aunt Jemima). Maybe even Krusteaz. Never Bisquick.

Last edited:
Ok, fair enough. Just not in my experience. I don't personally think they make great pancakes. I'd rather use Hungry Jack pancake mix, lighter, fluffier pancakes.

Shows you how long it's been since I bought it, last time I bought a box it had an image of biscuits on the front. I never remember it being called pancake and baking mix before.

Edited because I was reading online that it's being pushed to consumers to use Bisquick for pancakes. They make it sound like everyone uses it for that. But everyone I know who makes pancakes uses Hungry Jack or Pearl Milling (formerly Aunt Jemima). Maybe even Krusteaz. Never Bisquick.

To all of you: You use your discretion at your own preference. I just wanted to know if you use the mix or not, And I haven't had pancakes in God knows how long.
I used to buy the frozen pancakes that you just heat in the microve when you want a few. The problem with that is you have to keep them in the freezer. And I normally keep it full with meat. Another thing is that if you don't use them up soon enough, they start to dry out & become freezer-burnt!! :yuck:

Last edited:
To all of you: You use your discretion at your own preference. I just wanted to know if you use the mix or not, And I haven't had pancakes in God knows how long.
I used to buy the frozen pancakes that you just heat in the microve when you want a few. The problem with that is you have to keep them in the freezer. And I normally keep it full with meat. Another thing is that if you don't use them up soon enough, they start to dry out & become freezer-burnt!! :yuck:
I never bought the frozen pancakes, but I used to buy Ego frozen waffles for the kids so I didn't have to get up and cook breakfast all the time before they went to school. I would think though that if you put them in zipper plastic bags after opening they might keep longer? A box of waffles with 4 kids doesn't last very long so I never had to worry about them drying out or getting freezer burnt. I would also guess that you might be able to make a larger batch of pancakes all at one time and then freeze them. You might have to put them on a tray on wax paper or something and freeze them separately before putting them in bags to freeze to keep them from sticking together.

If you use Bisquick to make pancakes, I would recommend adding buttermilk, vanilla, and eggs. I do that with pancake mix as well, even the ones that say they have buttermilk in them and that I only need to add water. That's everyone's choice, like you said, to our own preferences. And I am sticking with using Bisquick (when I have it around) for biscuits only!!!! :laugh:

And yes, I have used it for pancakes a few times but they weren't great.

Nesquik can also be bought already made in bottles. It comes in 2 sizes, small & large. :whistling:
Does it have milk in it, like a premixed drink or do you mean the flavored syrup that you stir into milk? I have seen the latter but never seen it in a ready-to-drink form.

Well there you go. I wasn't looking for it, maybe that's why I didn't know!!!
I’ve never had it.

Back to Bisquick - the only thing I ever remember it being used for, from my youth, was to make a quickie peach cobbler - basically, canned peaches, some other stuff, and mix up some Bisquick and pour that over the top.

Horrible, horrible dessert, IMO. Probably why I never took to it as an adult.

View attachment 83564

I just looked at one of the boxes that I have & found out that it's a whopping 96-oz box! Guess that it comes in diffrent sizes. The front of it DOES look similar to this one. Got a lot of it to use up before or by next year. It even comes in little bags. :whistling:

Last edited:
Does it have milk in it, like a premixed drink or do you mean the flavored syrup that you stir into milk? I have seen the latter but never seen it in a ready-to-drink form.

Don't know exactly what all is in it, but it DOES have milk in it. At some stores, they have it in strawberry, chocolate, banana & vanilla. :whistling:

I never bought the frozen pancakes, but I used to buy Ego frozen waffles for the kids so I didn't have to get up and cook breakfast all the time before they went to school. I would think though that if you put them in zipper plastic bags after opening they might keep longer? A box of waffles with 4 kids doesn't last very long so I never had to worry about them drying out or getting freezer burnt. I would also guess that you might be able to make a larger batch of pancakes all at one time and then freeze them. You might have to put them on a tray on wax paper or something and freeze them separately before putting them in bags to freeze to keep them from sticking together.

If you use Bisquick to make pancakes, I would recommend adding buttermilk, vanilla, and eggs. I do that with pancake mix as well, even the ones that say they have buttermilk in them and that I only need to add water. That's everyone's choice, like you said, to our own preferences. And I am sticking with using Bisquick (when I have it around) for biscuits only!!!! :laugh:

And yes, I have used it for pancakes a few times but they weren't great.

Yeah, I heard that buttermilk helps to make good-tasting pancakes & biscuits. It's also one of the chief ingredients used to make German Chocolate Cake. I used to make it from scratch. The Bisquick recipes all call for milk. I just drank up what was left of the milk last night!
Have to go get some more. 🤔

Last edited:
Don't know exactly what all is in it, but it DOES have milk in it. At some stores, they have it in strawberry, chocolate, banana & vanilla. :whistling:
I've never seen the banana flavor in any of the mixes, interesting! I did a lot of grocery retail merchandising in the past so I generally was working with shelf stable ingredients and not in the refrigerated section.

Back
Top Bottom