Who Uses Bisquick to Bake With?

I was being mostly tongue in cheek but in my neck of the woods your pancakes would be called crepes, which I like especially filled with some curry, like butter chicken. Now I want crepes lol.

Although similar, English pancakes (as pictured by Yorky) are a bit thicker than French crêpes. Here are my pancakes:

Although similar, English pancakes (as pictured by Yorky) are a bit thicker than French crêpes. Here are my pancakes:

View attachment 83548
Your "pancakes" look tasty but pancakes are kind of iconic in North America and the crepe is not part of the celebration. I fold egg whites into my pancake batter for lift and lightness, my friends and family call them "angel wings" lol. cheers.

Your "pancakes" look tasty but pancakes are kind of iconic in North America and the crepe is not part of the celebration. I fold egg whites into my pancake batter for lift and lightness, my friends and family call them "angel wings" lol. cheers.

I think American pancakes and English pancakes are very different things. American pancakes are closer to Scotch pancakes (also known as drop scones) than English.

Scotch pancakes:

I think American pancakes and English pancakes are very different things. American pancakes are closer to Scotch pancakes (also known as drop scones) than English.

Scotch pancakes:

View attachment 83549

American pancakes are thick and fluffy (good ones). They are about half air when they are done cooking. A very common serving size is a "Short Stack," which is three pancakes.

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 4.48.59 AM.jpg

CD

I make pastry for pies, quiches, etc. in less than 10 minutes, pancake batter in five minutes, pizza dough in 5 minutes - not a boast, just to show it doesn´t take very long to make simple things which taste far superior to purchased items.
The other point is, I suppose, I´m never in a hurry!
When I'm trying to get ready for work, 10 minutes is a lot of time.

I would never use Bisquick for pastry or pizza dough,, yuck.. it's for biscuits primarily (American style obviously, not cookies).

And I've never been able to make pizza dough in 5 minutes. Do you not use yeast?

American pancakes are thick and fluffy (good ones). They are about half air when they are done cooking. A very common serving size is a "Short Stack," which is three pancakes.

View attachment 83553

CD
My pancakes are a lot thinner, more like crêpes. I like to call them pancrekes. But mine almost always have pureed fruit in the batter (pineapple or mashed banana) so really they aren't either thing.

I don't understand why its quicker for making pancakes. Surely, It takes seconds to make pancake mix from scratch.
I primarily use it for biscuits. When I'm stumbling and fumbling around in the kitchen sipping my cup of tea and blindly trying to prepare something to eat before work, I don't have to think or measure. I'm not making pancakes before work generally, but sometimes I will because hubby wakes up hungry. I just need something light. But I don't function well immediately after crawling out of bed. Most of the time I don't make pancakes using Bisquick, but usually I'm not working on those days.

BTW, a box of Bisquick generally lasts me over a year.

I don't understand why its quicker for making pancakes. Surely, It takes seconds to make pancake mix from scratch.
I make a lot of pancakes and waffles, as anyone who’s perused the breakfast thread knows, and I make them completely from scratch.

No, I cannot make them in seconds. It takes several minutes for me. Maybe I’m just slow at the measuring/weighing. I’ve used box mixes before, and that can literally be seconds, as it’s just adding water (depending on the mix used), but making them from scratch…it’s closer to 15 minutes for me (which, of course, still isn’t that long).

Keep in mind, though - from a box, just add water. From scratch, there’re the dry ingredients (which may be self-rising flour, or flour with the leavening agents added, so that’s even more time), then the buttermilk, maybe a little citrus zest, some vanilla, maybe a mix of two kinds of sugars - when you start going down the scratch path, you can suddenly find yourself caught up in an ingredient spiral! :laugh:

Pizza - I also make a lot of pizza dough, and in a variety of styles. I also cannot make a pizza dough in five minutes. It takes me longer than that to measure/weigh the ingredients. The quickest is about 10 minutes, not counting the rising, of course. I do have a no-yeast one that’s actually ready for the oven in 10 minutes, no rise necessary.

I don’t buy premade pizza crusts (or even premade doughs), nor do I buy boxed pancake/waffle mix, but I sure can’t make either from scratch in under 10-15 minutes.

Maybe I’m just slow at the measuring/weighing.

You've said before you are very slow at prepping! :) What I do is stick a bowl on the digital scales, zero the scales and add each ingredient that needs weighing, zeroing the scales in between.

Obviously if you are adding things like citrus zest and vanilla and two kinds of sugar, it will take more time. But for a really basic pancake mix (which Bisquick is) I'd have thought (especially using cup measures) it would be fast.

Obviously I'm now going to have to make an American pancake mix and time myself. :laugh:
I was just about to reply that the next time I make pancakes, probably this weekend, I’m going to time myself! :laugh:

I probably need one of those corporate efficiency experts to come round my kitchen and suggest ways I can speed things up. :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom