Who Uses Bisquick to Bake With?

I just looked at one of the boxes that i have & found out that it's a whopping 96-oz box! Guess that it comes in diffrent sizes. The front of it DOES look similar to this one. Got a lot of it to useup before or by next year. It even comes in little bags. :whistling:
I think you might be able to store it in the freezer to extend the shelf life, and I imagine it stays good longer than the "Best Buy" date on the box.
I’ve never had it.

Back to Bisquick - the only thing I ever remember it being used for, from my youth, was to make a quickie peach cobbler - basically, canned peaches, some other stuff, and mix up some Bisquick and pour that over the top.

Horrible, horrible dessert, IMO. Probably why I never took to it as an adult.
Yeah, I can't imagine it would make a good cobbler. Seems like it would be mushy, doughy topping, ugh.

I am thinking your mom was such a good biscuit maker she would have fainted at the idea of using boxed mix. Do I remember correctly she was a homemaker and didn't have a regular job in the workforce? Not to say that she didn't work hard at home, raising kids (and animals) and running a household isn't easy!

I think you might be able to store it in the freezer to extend the shelf life, and I imagine it stays good longer than the "Best Buy" date on the box.

Yeah, I can't imagine it would make a good cobbler. Seems like it would be mushy, doughy topping, ugh.

I am thinking your mom was such a good biscuit maker she would have fainted at the idea of using boxed mix. Do I remember correctly she was a homemaker and didn't have a regular job in the workforce? Not to say that she didn't work hard at home, raising kids (and animals) and running a household isn't easy!
I thought about using some of it for cobbler. There should be a recipe for it in the cookbook that I got for Bisquick recipes. I'm gonna go look. Our mom used to make box-mix cakes. Wouldn't be surprised if she used this also. :whistling:

I am thinking your mom was such a good biscuit maker she would have fainted at the idea of using boxed mix. Do I remember correctly she was a homemaker and didn't have a regular job in the workforce?
Yes, Mom always made biscuits from scratch, and sometimes they were great, sometimes they were average, and sometimes they were not so good. I mark that down to her naturally frantic personality and her refusal to use a recipe for most things. :laugh:

Yes, also, she was a SAHM, raised six kids, and also looked after both sets of my grandparents. My paternal grandparents ate with us nearly every day, so at her busiest, she was regularly cooking three full meals a day, for up to 10 people at a time.

There were times when money was tight that she’d clean someone’s house or do their laundry for them. One of my very, very earliest of memories, from when I was maybe 4yo, was going to the next village over, maybe five miles away, and playing in the front room of an older woman my mom did for, and how the older woman would always give me candy.

Once we all grew up, she got kind of bored and tried working retail, but hated that, then she got a job, probably when she was 45, cleaning rooms at a hotel owned by the local university. That turned out to be a mixed blessing, as the harsh chemicals she used caused some lung and nerve damage, but did get her full disability when she was in her late-50’s, which allowed my dad to retire a little early.

I have a box of Bisquick in our `fridge and I made Waffles this past weekend with it.
Both DH & I said that they weren't nearly as good as "our usual Waffles" aka Buttermilk from scratch.
I liken Bisquick to an American convenience food.
Some folks just want a dump & go recipe.
For example for the Bisquick recipe, you simply dump into a mixing bowl 2 cups Bisquick, 1 1/4 cup water and an egg, stir and cook.
For Waffles, add 2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil.

For example for the Bisquick recipe, you simply dump into a mixing bowl 2 cups Bisquick, 1 1/4 cup water and an egg, stir and cook.

I think there is something I'm not understanding. Why not just dump self raising flour plus the water and egg in the mixing bowl. How is it quicker?

I think there is something I'm not understanding. Why not just dump self raising flour plus the water and egg in the mixing bowl. How is it quicker?
And oil/lard:
Is baking mix the same as self rising flour? - I Forgot Its Wednesday

You forget that most Americans are a lazy bunch, LOL. Not saying that kaneohegirlinaz is lazy, obviously she is not since she makes waffle batter from scratch and so much other yummy food! But not only are people in the USA lazy, it's just mindless simplicity to pour a premade mix from a box. I'm guilty of needing some mindless simplicity at times. Heck, I will make brown gravy for mashed potatoes with a packet occasionally, and the same with hollandaise and bernaise sauce. If I have a whole lot of other foods going on in the kitchen and 6-10 family members hanging around waiting for the food, I just don't have the time and the space to make that and not screw something else up when it's getting close to serving time. And no one seems to notice or care. If it's just me and hubby and I have lots of time on my hand and no distractions, I will do things much differently.

There are lots of people in the US who think that making Kraft macaroni and cheese from a box or popping a frozen pizza in the oven is cooking. Seriously.

Well I must be being influenced because I just added this to my on-line supermarket trolley - but its only a quid so what the hell!

I'm not seeing a huge difference between the UK and American version ...

Aunt Bessie's:

Ingredients​

• Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin),
  • Sugar,
  • Skimmed Milk Powder,
  • Raising Agents (Potassium Bicarbonate, Calcium Phosphate, Glucona Delta Lactone)
Bisquick:

Ingredients​

Enriched Flour Bleached (wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), Vegetable Oil (palm, canola, high oleic soybean, and/or sunflower oil), Corn Starch, Dextrose, Leavening (baking soda, sodium aluminum phosphate, monocalcium phosphate), Salt, Sugar, Monoglycerides.

I’m sure there’s no one single answer, but several that add up to accounting for the popularity of convenience products like this.

SR flour, while very common here…not everyone will have that. A lot of people don’t even bake any longer, so they wouldn’t have any flour, but if they have one flour, it’s AP/plain flour.

Also, convenience means ease, right? Bisquick has the directions to probably six or eight products right on the box, because it’s specifically made for biscuits, pancakes, cobblers, impossible pie, etc. It’s one box with everything on it. If I buy SR flour, now I’ve got to go track down a recipe for this, and a recipe for that…not a big deal when you like to cook/bake, but a right pain when you see the kitchen as nothing more than a room of chores. Pick up a box, look at the back, it’s all right there, six different things, in one spot.

There’s no doubt a good bit of psychology going on as well. Marketers are excellent at making consumers want to buy their products, that’s what they do, get you to somehow believe that using this product over that product will be easier and time-saving.

So…I just looked at Bisquick’s basic waffle instructions - four ingredients. I just looked at White Lily’s (a popular SR flour here) basic waffle ingredients - five. Not only that, but White Lily wants me to separate the eggs, whip the whites, and beat them in separately.

Now, I’m an experienced waffle maker (😎), so I know that’s not necessary to make a decent waffle. I do that maybe half the time. But, if I’m not an experienced cook, and my only interest is to get some waffles down the necks of my screaming brat kids to shut them up for once and give me five 🤬 minutes of peace, I’m likely going to look at those to and say, “Bisquick it is. I’m not separating any damn eggs and I don’t even know what folding an egg white means!”

Remember, not everyone is as interested in cooking as we all are. :)

There are lots of people in the US who think that making Kraft macaroni and cheese from a box or popping a frozen pizza in the oven is cooking. Seriously.
That’s definitely true, and I’ll always think of my generation as the generation of convenience food babies. I was lucky in that I wasn’t raised that way, but so many people of my generation were, so that’s the taste they developed, and that’s how they continue to eat.

That’s why I giggle a little at some of the folks I know who are a generation later than me, with their 85%-finished meal kits, bragging online about how they’re “cooking from scratch.” No, you’re sort of cooking from scratch, you’re finishing from scratch, it’s scratch-ish, but it’s not from scratch. I’m not knocking doing it, I’m just taking exception with the way it’s described.

Anyway, a little story to illustrate that. Several years ago, around 2010, my nephew came over to spend the night with his ultra-happening uncle (😏), and at one point, I suggested we have some popcorn.

I got out a pan…some oil…some butter…some popcorn kernels…and proceeded to make popcorn.

He was stunned. He had no idea that popcorn could be made in any other way than by tossing a bag in a microwave and pressing start.

There are, I’m afraid, a whole lot of people who don’t even realize you can make better-than-frozen, better-than-delivery pizza at home easily, or that hot wings can be made at home…or Chinese takeout favorites, or that soup doesn’t have to just come from a can, that sort of thing.

Even when some people do cook things “from scratch,” more often than not, it’s jarred spaghetti sauce, or a premade pizza crust and jarred pizza sauce, or canned chili. Again, nothing wrong with those products, but sometimes, I think there’s a real disconnect between what we, as proper cooks and bakers, think of as homemade, and what a lot of other people out there think as homemade.

I’m sure there’s no one single answer, but several that add up to accounting for the popularity of convenience products like this.

SR flour, while very common here…not everyone will have that. A lot of people don’t even bake any longer, so they wouldn’t have any flour, but if they have one flour, it’s AP/plain flour.

Also, convenience means ease, right? Bisquick has the directions to probably six or eight products right on the box, because it’s specifically made for biscuits, pancakes, cobblers, impossible pie, etc. It’s one box with everything on it. If I buy SR flour, now I’ve got to go track down a recipe for this, and a recipe for that…not a big deal when you like to cook/bake, but a right pain when you see the kitchen as nothing more than a room of chores. Pick up a box, look at the back, it’s all right there, six different things, in one spot.

There’s no doubt a good bit of psychology going on as well. Marketers are excellent at making consumers want to buy their products, that’s what they do, get you to somehow believe that using this product over that product will be easier and time-saving.

So…I just looked at Bisquick’s basic waffle instructions - four ingredients. I just looked at White Lily’s (a popular SR flour here) basic waffle ingredients - five. Not only that, but White Lily wants me to separate the eggs, whip the whites, and beat them in separately.

Now, I’m an experienced waffle maker (😎), so I know that’s not necessary to make a decent waffle. I do that maybe half the time. But, if I’m not an experienced cook, and my only interest is to get some waffles down the necks of my screaming brat kids to shut them up for once and give me five 🤬 minutes of peace, I’m likely going to look at those to and say, “Bisquick it is. I’m not separating any damn eggs and I don’t even know what folding an egg white means!”

That’s definitely true, and I’ll always think of my generation as the generation of convenience food babies. I was lucky in that I wasn’t raised that way, but so many people of my generation were, so that’s the taste they developed, and that’s how they continue to eat.

That’s why I giggle a little at some of the folks I know who are a generation later than me, with their 85%-finished meal kits, bragging online about how they’re “cooking from scratch.” No, you’re sort of cooking from scratch, you’re finishing from scratch, it’s scratch-ish, but it’s not from scratch. I’m not knocking doing it, I’m just taking exception with the way it’s described.

Anyway, a little story to illustrate that. Several years ago, around 2010, my nephew came over to spend the night with his ultra-happening uncle (😏), and at one point, I suggested we have some popcorn.

I got out a pan…some oil…some butter…some popcorn kernels…and proceeded to make popcorn.

He was stunned. He had no idea that popcorn could be made in any other way than by tossing a bag in a microwave and pressing start.

There are, I’m afraid, a whole lot of people who don’t even realize you can make better-than-frozen, better-than-delivery pizza at home easily, or that hot wings can be made at home…or Chinese takeout favorites, or that soup doesn’t have to just come from a can, that sort of thing.

Even when some people do cook things “from scratch,” more often than not, it’s jarred spaghetti sauce, or a premade pizza crust and jarred pizza sauce, or canned chili. Again, nothing wrong with those products, but sometimes, I think there’s a real disconnect between what we, as proper cooks and bakers, think of as homemade, and what a lot of other people out there think as homemade.
Ya know TastyReuben I couldn't have said it better.
Convenience, that's the name of the game.

And oil/lard:
Is baking mix the same as self rising flour? - I Forgot Its Wednesday

You forget that most Americans are a lazy bunch, LOL. Not saying that kaneohegirlinaz is lazy, obviously she is not since she makes waffle batter from scratch and so much other yummy food! But not only are people in the USA lazy, it's just mindless simplicity to pour a premade mix from a box. I'm guilty of needing some mindless simplicity at times. Heck, I will make brown gravy for mashed potatoes with a packet occasionally, and the same with hollandaise and bernaise sauce. If I have a whole lot of other foods going on in the kitchen and 6-10 family members hanging around waiting for the food, I just don't have the time and the space to make that and not screw something else up when it's getting close to serving time. And no one seems to notice or care. If it's just me and hubby and I have lots of time on my hand and no distractions, I will do things much differently.

I don't know that I would say "lazy." More like too lazy to cook a meal after a full day at the office. That, and too frantic in the morning to cook breakfast. Americans work more hours than people in most European countries, Australia/NZ and Canada. As a result, we are a wealthy country of tired people.

My mom had plenty of time to cook our meals (she just wasn't a good cook).

CD

Last edited:
My Mother too is a horrible cook and she'll admit it, and tell people my daughter is an excellent home cook 😊
I think that's why she used alot of these "convenience products" because the marketing campaigns were/are so successful.
Mom looks in my pantries and shakes her head ... "what do you need all of this stuff for?"
Ummm, to cook good food.
A well stocked pantry is a home cooks best friend, but if that home cook wants to take a few shortcuts along the way to putting a good meal on the table for their family, I say more power to them.

Well said.

Back
Top Bottom