Your Photos

How velvety are these?

I was out driving about some time ago, enjoying a sunny summer day and watched somebody lay a brand new Ducati down and break off a side mirror, as well as scraping up its side. It was apparently too much bike for somebody who couldn't handle it.
That's a shame, hope nobody was hurt. You know the old saying, "it isn't if your going down on a bike, but when."

That's a shame, hope nobody was hurt. You know the old saying, "it isn't if your going down on a bike, but when."

Nah, he wasn't hurt, except in his ego.

The worst ego bike wreck I ever saw was just as I was about to pull out of a shopping center parking lot. A kid zoomed his bike smack into the side of a van that was pulling out, spinning the van around its front wheels and bending it around the impact. He had his girl friend on the back. They were both instant fatalities. Beer cans were rolling around on the street at the crash site. The story was obvious, a young kid, a nice motorcycle and a big ego slopped by alcohol. If he got the girl, it had to have been before that day.

Yeah, but now the person in the van has to live with that. Someone pulling out directly in front of you is a bikers worst nightmare. Been there, was lucky that day.

The thing is ... I witnessed the accident. I was about to pull out of the parking lot and stopped to see what was on the street. When I looked, I looked left and the bike wasn't there. To the right, I saw the van pulling out. I looked left again and the bike was coming out of the parking lot at another exit and immediately gunned to top speed. I barely watched him go by before he slammed into the van.

There's a thing called situational awareness and I practice it in a vehicle of any time, from cars to aircraft. The van could not have seen the bike coming, but the kid on the bike should've seen the van - as I did.

I understand and you are correct, situational awareness is key for survival on a motorcycle. Target fixation is another killer. I'm not saying it wasn't the motorcyclist fault. To accelerate to top speed and intentionally drive into a vehicle is very strange.

I've had to drop a bike twice, both saved a lot more damage if I hadn't. I did a defensive driving course when young, it saved me several times. Treat all drivers as idiots who will come for you.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom