Cryptic food and drink

I think in this instance I'm clueless literally!

Sorry
I'd have thought someone else like @classic33 would have answered it by now! A few desperate last clues - then I'll assume you have never heard of it.:

It is Indian (colonial) in origin in the UK
It contains hard (or soft boiled) egg and fish

I'd have thought someone else like @classic33 would have answered it by now! A few desperate last clues - then I'll assume you have never heard of it.:

It is Indian (colonial) in origin in the UK
It contains hard (or soft boiled) egg and fish
I think you may have to settle for the "I've not heard of it option"!

I think you may have to settle for the "I've not heard of it option"!
Its odd that you haven't really... its a famous dish. Originally served at breakfast in Victorian times but now sometimes served at other times. I served it on Xmas eve last year. Ask your partner? Rice, hard or soft-boiled eggs, smoked fish, curry powder? Begins with 'K'. An interesting vegetarian version might be able to be made, if the fish was omitted and something else (which I'll have to think about) substituted.

Ah well. Here is an easy one to be going on with.
Breakfast has bad smell around edge. (8)

'Bad' could indicate an anagram. But smell and edge make 9 letters and the solution is 8. So...perhaps there is another word for smell which has 4 letters or another word for edge with 3 letters.

So...can you now understand the anagram?

Well it needed a thesaurus but I think I got there with reek... :facepalm:

Ground oats turn into vegetarian classic.(3,5)
@Duck59, please correct me if this doesn't follow cryptic clue rules. I'm still learning! I'm trying to do a new anagram for @SatNavSaysStraightOn.
So potential I need to rearrange the letters in oats and into because turn would indicate anagram? Ground and vegetarian are clues?

Although that fails because I came up with 'nut roast' and there is no 'r' in my letters...

So potential I need to rearrange the letters in oats and into because turn would indicate anagram? Ground and vegetarian are clues?

Although that fails because I came up with 'nut roast' and there is no 'r' in my letters...
Correct answer! 'Ground' indicates an anagram - there are lots of cooking terms which are used to indicate anagrams (mixed, salad, beaten, carved up etc.) the words used to make up the anagram are 'oats' and 'turn'. I think you are getting the hang of it!!

Ground oats turn into vegetarian classic.(3,5)
@Duck59, please correct me if this doesn't follow cryptic clue rules. I'm still learning! I'm trying to do a new anagram for @SatNavSaysStraightOn.

I don't think there are any set rules, although compilers in general have followed the style of the old Observer setter, Ximenes. Some of the more recent setters have been a bit wackier, like the late, great Araucaria in The Guardian. Even more anarchic is Paul, whom some people can't abide, although I think he's terrific. My occasional forays into crossword compiling are more on the lines of the Araucaria/Paul axis, though without the element of mad genius.

All of which reminds me that I have another 'duck' clue lined up:

A pintail digests heart of mango - one less tropical fruit! (8)

I don't think there are any set rules, although compilers in general have followed the style of the old Observer setter, Ximenes. Some of the more recent setters have been a bit wackier, like the late, great Araucaria in The Guardian. Even more anarchic is Paul, whom some people can't abide, although I think he's terrific. My occasional forays into crossword compiling are more on the lines of the Araucaria/Paul axis, though without the element of mad genius.

All of which reminds me that I have another 'duck' clue lined up:

A pintail digests heart of mango - one less tropical fruit! (8)
Araucaria is my all time favourite! I haven't done the Guardian crossword (or any crossword!) for ages but think I remember Paul was tricky.

Back
Top Bottom