Ten cooking utensils that every kitchen needs

I Really like the long ladle type things that are used to stir in woks. I love those because I get to move around the food without getting my hands close to the fire and food which then helps me keep the food smells on my hands as minimal as possible.

I have two full drawers full of utensils, many of which I never use. I regularly use the pasta spoon, the tin opener, the spatulas and the ladles. Other items are only used about twice a year. I never use the garlic crusher and I prefer to peel vegetables with a knife rather than using the peeler.

I had originally used the term antique because the one I have is an antique... they seem to have the better mechanisms and are much smoother. I picked mine up at white elephant stall of a village fair a few years back - it came still in its original 1950's (guessing here, could have been 60's) box made by prestige... there was even a price tag on it which meant nothing to me! strange thing before decimalisation, talked about £sd... :whistling:
What was the price. Out of curiosity?

A can opener is a must that should have been put on that list. I prefer the punch openers though, since I find that the other kind do not do the job as good, and for some reason, do not last very long. They work for a while, and then they are no more use. The one shown in the picture below is what I am talking about.

I would also have included a measuring cup and measuring spoons, as well as a funnel. The measuring cup and spoons would be more useful when baking.

upload_2014-10-30_8-56-53.jpeg

Dear enough when bought though!
If it was the 50's.
50's or 60's going by the packaging and what I am seeing online. I was just after a good quality hand whisk. The modern ones seem to give up the ghost and slip really badly... this one has been brilliant and a good 50p purchase!

Cast rather than pressed. And possibly an extra set of gears fitted, making it easier use.

The experts say that to function efficiently we need certain basic cooking utensils. Here is list I came across while online.
1. Spatulas to Blend, mix and scrape
2. Spatulas or Flippers to lift, turn or remove
3. Wooden spoons
4. Openers for Cans, bottles and cartons
5. Vegetable Peelers
6. Serving salad spoons
7. Soup ladle
8. Splatter Screen
9. Pasta spoon or server
10.Whisks for mixing and blending

At a glance it appears I have all the basics but I would be lying if I said I always use them. I am a rush cook and often I will use what's right at hand. What about you?

I have ALL of these.:) :eek:

1. Spatulas to Blend, mix and scrape
2. Spatulas or Flippers to lift, turn or remove
3. Wooden spoons
7. Soup ladle
10.Whisks for mixing and blending

think that is the sum total of what I have and use....

personally I think a sieve/colander is also totally vital, plus I could not survive for long without my (antique) hand egg beater...
View attachment 367

I have that also! Surprised that it is still being made!! We used this as kids before our mom got her first stand mixer!! :eek:

I have that also! Surprised that it is still being made!! We used this as kids before our mom got her first stand mixer!! :eek:
A relative who had his own baker's shop, wouldn't use any powered equipment on his special orders.
Claimed that you lost the feel of the mix, leading to underquality.

IMG-20141108-WA0000.jpg IMG-20141108-WA0001.jpg

What about knives? I love my Mezzaluna knife for cutting up vegetables and herbs for salads and sauces. Pictured is my version of Tabouli. There are a lot of folks of Arab descent here in Honduras, and several specialty shops. One store even imports barrels of olives! The older ladies make the best desserts, unfortunately the customs are being lost with the newer generations.

That looks similar to my dumpling cutter.
Oh and what is a salad spoon?
I have everything else on that top list.
Salad servers - I'm sure you have them. I wouldn't call them 'spoons' 'cos usually they are fork and spoon shaped. Well, I'm assuming that is what is being referred to in the list. This type of thing:

233486626.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom