Ten cooking utensils that every kitchen needs

Probably, but if you strain it, nearly any utensil will get it out of the pan.
Besides as the queen of kitchen toys, it is my duty to make sure the king sees all gadgets. Besides he started it with the oven.:laugh:

I just tip the whole lot into a colander in the sink, shake it about a bit, then deposit it onto the plate. Same with any pasta.

I don't find them that much of a revelation. They are good for some blending but if you want a really smooth, and I do mean really smooth, soup, a liquidizer is still the best option imo. I have a stick blender (a kitchenaid one) and have had one off and on over the years, but I can live without one. What I find I can't live without is a good quality liquidiser!

I've never had a a stick blender so I probably don't know what I am missing. However, like SNSSO, I would find it difficult to cook without my blender (and associated spice grinder).

I have a recipe for the soup.. I think it is on here, but I just find that broccoli soup in particular does not blend well with the stick blender unless really overcooked.
You're welcome and thank you. I do find that sometimes my straight talking and inability to be anything other, lack of subtly and sense of humour causes me issues with people. They often simply don't know how to 'deal' with me or respond to my responses and usually take things the wrong way and I kind of feel like I am going through one of those periods at the moment. People are often simply misunderstanding what I am trying to say, meaning and well it makes life hard. I guess my lack of ability to interact with people on a 'actually seeing someone other than my OH' level at the moment is probably the issue. Even before the broken ribs. I only got out on a Saturday and that was to do with the shopping. I also find that me trying to be helpful is usually taken as a criticism when I never meant it to be. I guess I am a typical IT Engineer. Antisocial and find it difficult to relate to other people, dyslexic and left handed. It is only my love of the outdoors, wildlife and flora, travel, cycling, hiking, mountaineering, photography and cooking that keep me from being 100% typical of the IT engineers world. Oh, and knitting. How that happened I can only blame my Grannie. Actually I think I can blame cooking, fauna, flora, photography, the outdoors and knitting (plus sewing (I actually have a sewing machine and can use all the settings on it right down to zips and button holes, but don't tell anyone please!)) all on my Grannie! Oops missed gardening and allotments off that list.... OK I'm reaching the conclusion I need to be an IT Engineer who lives off grid and outdoors. I have the satellite broadband, capture rain water and grow my own veg. Loads of land... I have a couple of solar panels which can run the laptop at the minimum and can do the Dutch ovens, camp fires for cooking (not those desperately wasteful things that you see in the movies...) and build my own shelters if needed, though between you and I there are that many ants around here, I'll stick to a house. I can at least try to limit the number inside... OK - better stop hijacking this thread.... :laugh:
Oh wait, outside would mean ants and mosquitoes. We do need houses.
So now to get back on topic, how about designing an anti-ant kitchen gadget.

how about designing an anti-ant kitchen gadget.
As in this? *

DSC_1853.JPG

My waste food that I can't compost because of the mouse and ant issues, mice bring in snakes and the snakes here are deadly... so I have to burn it. Only I didn't have a fire last night and we had mango. The only way of dealing with the ants is to surround it in water because when I told my OH to purchase a sealed container for the waste, he came home proud as punch with a waste paper bin that ants can get into :o_o: :o_o:. So this mornings washing up water which he always leaves in the washing up bowl (hate that habit but he insists it is for the best for the septic tank (I personally think it will be cold by the time it gets there from the distance it has to travel and such a small quantity into such a large tank...)) anyhow. I have a use for it and can make a point each and everytime. In fact it makes 2 points in 1 go really! :laugh:

* for some peculiar reason, mouthwash has exactly the same attraction to ants, as does my UK morphine bottle which contains sucrose unlike my Aussie morphine bottle which does not.

Whenever I defrost frozen food I sit the item(s) in a bowl in about 50mm deep water in the sink. That keeps the little buggers away.

Whenever I defrost frozen food I sit the item(s) in a bowl in about 50mm deep water in the sink. That keeps the little buggers away.
glad it is not just me then. (and that is what I was trying to show in the picture). the mouthwash sits in a kitchen soap tray that has 2 compartments, the soap doesn't get a say in, it has a seperate soap dish...(our bathroom isnt really a bathroom. It is a toilet attached to a laundry room which has a large and long (and when the sun shines, very hot) metal kitchen sink in to, then there is a cubby hole off this which has a shower 'room' in. At either end of the laundry (L shaped) there is a door, one leads to the sunroom and another leads to our bedroom. Visitors (not that we have actually had any) get the choice, go through the sunroom to get to the laundry and hence toilet room (the light switch is at the wrong end so at night it is totally dark in there unless the moon is up) or they can go through our bedroom. The house is basically sqaure and there is an internal circuit that takes up 2/3rds of the space which allows you to walk around in circles if you want to! Hummm I can feel a rough sketch of the house coming on here!

A friend of mine wished to build a house some 150 km north of here and asked me to design a layout for him. Unfortunately his Thai wife didn't agree with my logic and finally the only bathroom (which is the size of my lounge) was positioned next to the kitchen (which makes sense) but is only accessible from the kitchen. If you wish to use the bathroom when in any of the three bedrooms, it is necessary to walk through the lounge and the kitchen.

A friend of mine wished to build a house some 150 km north of here and asked me to design a layout for him. Unfortunately his Thai wife didn't agree with my logic and finally the only bathroom (which is the size of my lounge) was positioned next to the kitchen (which makes sense) but is only accessible from the kitchen. If you wish to use the bathroom when in any of the three bedrooms, it is necessary to walk through the lounge and the kitchen.
I was brought up with exactly that. Only the bathroom was through the kitchen on the ground floor... During my primary school years, it was not only through the kitchen, it was out of the kitchen door, outside in to the garden (we lived rurally so no lights etc) and 2 doors down. The 1st door down and the 3rd door down we the wood shed and the coal shed. All 3 doors were painted the same colour, black, and opened the same way, home on the same side.
Now I know why they were there but...
Here every one either needs to walk through the main bedroom, or leave via the kitchen door into the veranda, down the steps, around the corner, passed our bedroom window over the uneven path, in through the laundry door and then around the corner to the toilet. The only other option is the other toilet in Southey building they is disused. The toilet is however operational. This is about 100m from the house. By which time you may as well have scent marked a tree!

Here every one either needs to walk through the main bedroom, or leave via the kitchen door into the veranda, down the steps, around the corner, passed our bedroom window over the uneven path, in through the laundry door and then around the corner to the toilet. The only other option is the other toilet in Southey building they is disused. The toilet is however operational. This is about 100m from the house. By which time you may as well have scent marked a tree!

And I thought I lived in Nakhorn Nowhere!!!!

The house where I was born. It's still there although now with an inside toilet and electric lights!

7 beulah grove.jpg

In this house to get to the bathroom from the main room, you just walk halfway down a hall and turn right.
To get to the bathroom from the kitchen you have two options, go through the bedroom, turn right into the hall go halfway down and turn left, or you can go through what we call the library (was at one point the main room), then into the living room and down the hall. It was added on to sometime before 1970.
The hall is probably 4 meters long. It is actually a small house by today's American standards.

I once lived in a house that the bathroom was off the kitchen or the tiny bedroom. To get to the slightly bigger bedroom you had to go through the tiny bedroom. The tiny bedroom had three doors. One to the bathroom, one to the other bedroom and one to the living room.

Let me reiterate; Yes I do! Hah! :wink:
My husband was really bad today. He bought the George Foreman Grilling machine ggr50.
We got it at Good Wilma's for $20. It had never been used. Luckily I had just cleaned out a bunch of stuff and had room to store it.
It works great.

My husband was really bad today. He bought the George Foreman Grilling machine ggr50.
We got it at Good Wilma's for $20. It had never been used. Luckily I had just cleaned out a bunch of stuff and had room to store it.
It works great.
I used to have one but got fed up with cleaning it!

Back
Top Bottom