The CookingBites recipe challenge: strawberries

I really feel like I can’t give this a fair review, as the strawberries I used were so bland, it’s yielded a disappointingly tasteless concoction
I wish I could send you some of ours. Despite it still being winter busy going into spring, the strawberries coming in from the strawberry fan on the coast are excellent. They are also exceptionally cheap right now.
They're down at AU$1.80 for ¼kg, so $7.20/kg. (USD 4.75 or £3.80 per kilo). Hubby came home with 2kg worth yesterday.

I've a pasta tofu salad planned that uses strawberries and another strawberry soup that uses 1kg worth. After that, I'll try roasting some strawberries with rhubarb and maybe top it off with a meringue or cashew nut cream topping. I'm thinking of individual ramekins for the serving size. I'm probably send hubby in to buy some more during the week. We may as well enjoy them whilst their cheap and good at the same time.

Here's my first entry for the challenge. Actually, it's my wife's recipe, and she sort of makes it up as she goes along, so I had to back up the method with some online help.
It seems that, every time we make this simple but yummy dessert, the oven time changes. My advice? keep a close look at the meringue as it's cooking. Burnt meringue is 'orrible.
Pavlova
Pavlova.JPG

Here's my first entry for the challenge. Actually, it's my wife's recipe, and she sort of makes it up as she goes along, so I had to back up the method with some online help.
It seems that, every time we make this simple but yummy dessert, the oven time changes. My advice? keep a close look at the meringue as it's cooking. Burnt meringue is 'orrible.
Pavlova
View attachment 105194
Beautiful

Beautiful
Thanks!
We're not "desserts" people - we'd go for something savoury any time.
When my MIL was still alive, she'd go into meltdown any time we had a party, because she just knew there wouldn't be any sweets. About an hour before the party, someone would arrive with arroz con leche, chocolate cakes, coconut flan, etc., etc, which she'd spent a couple of days preparing!
About 15 years ago, we decided to learn a few easy desserts. Pavlova was one; Banoffee Pie, Tiramisu, Panna Cotta and Chocolate beetroot cake. They're our "go to" desserts.

I saw some fresh strawberries in the store yesterday that looked a nice deep red, and even smelled good, so I bought some. But, I got them home and tasted one, and it was weak in flavor, and had no sweetness at all. I guess it's back to the frozen berries.

CD

I saw some fresh strawberries in the store yesterday that looked a nice deep red, and even smelled good, so I bought some. But, I got them home and tasted one, and it was weak in flavor, and had no sweetness at all. I guess it's back to the frozen berries.

CD

It's always a crapshoot at the supermarket. A significant part of the produce section is presentation. You see all these perfect-looking cartons of strawberries, and you want to buy them. I've recently started doing something that I never did before, which I've seen some people do: sampling. Grapes are the same way. I'll try a grape or a strawberry to see how it tastes. That alone doesn't take care of it, because I know that a carton of strawberries could have come from several different sources, but it's a good start.

I open fruit and small tomato cartons to look at middle and bottom. i sometimes tip them into a produce bag to check. Then put them back in the carton. Been burned to many times finding moldy ones on bottom.

It's always a crapshoot at the supermarket. A significant part of the produce section is presentation. You see all these perfect-looking cartons of strawberries, and you want to buy them. I've recently started doing something that I never did before, which I've seen some people do: sampling. Grapes are the same way. I'll try a grape or a strawberry to see how it tastes. That alone doesn't take care of it, because I know that a carton of strawberries could have come from several different sources, but it's a good start.

The problem with these I just bought is that fresh strawberry season here is June and July. I really knew better, but bought them, anyway. :facepalm:

CD

Back
Top Bottom