The CookingBites recipe challenge: strawberries

I never did before, which I've seen some people do: sampling. Grapes are the same way. I'll try a grape or a strawberry to see how it tastes.
I’ll do that with some things that have to be weighed to get the price, but I don’t do that with strawberries that are already weighed out and priced, because if I decide I don’t want them, the next person’s going to be a strawberry short.

I’ll do that with some things that have to be weighed to get the price, but I don’t do that with strawberries that are already weighed out and priced, because if I decide I don’t want them, the next person’s going to be a strawberry short.

Yeah, I always taste one grape before buying. But, you buy them by the pound, so one grape isn't going to matter.

CD

Recipe - Achiote strawberry chicken 'en papillote'

fullsizeoutput_8491.jpeg

This is one of the strawberry recipes from this week written up.

This was a recipe that grew on us and we will happily make again. I've changed the way it is made to make it easier. If you've a blender or a food processor, then it will make it easier.

20230927_174719.jpg

Recipe - Swedish Strawberry Mint Soup

A dessert this time:

Recipe - Strawberry Gratin with Sweet Cheese Topping

This would be an excellent choice to make when last-minute guests show up (assuming you let them in, of course…). Takes mere minutes to put together, and if your oven is as slow as mine to heat up, you can have it ready to go before the oven bell goes ding:

The taste? Just think “hot fruit, sweet and tangy cream cheese,” and that’ll cover it. I’m not particularly fond of goat cheese, but it certainly plays a part here, keeping this from being cloyingly sweet and too rich. That little salty-sharpy bite it lends really balances this dish.

Never mind how that sauce looks; that’s down to me and my lazy mixing - this is a lightly luxurious little treat.

The MrsT review:
“Oh my god…oh my god…forget about strudel later <we’re going to Oktoberfest>, I’m gonna eat this whole thing!”

She pushed me out of the way…twice…while I was trying to plate it and take pics!

Here's my first entry for the challenge. Actually, it's my wife's recipe, and she sort of makes it up as she goes along, so I had to back up the method with some online help.
It seems that, every time we make this simple but yummy dessert, the oven time changes. My advice? keep a close look at the meringue as it's cooking. Burnt meringue is 'orrible.
Pavlova
View attachment 105194
Wow you must have spent a good half hour slicing those berries.

Strawberries in North America at this time of year will be imports with questionable freshness, sweetness and flavor. IDK about California and the midwestern states. They may have fresh berries in a regular year. Forget about it this year with the extreme heat and drought. I don't know why I am chiming in. Unless I have some inspiration, I will not participate in this challenge. Best of luck to you all.

Last one from me:

Recipe - Strawberries in Madeira and Cream

This is barely a recipe, but I’m including it, because sometimes, it’s nice to have something that’s simple. That’s this.

Want to know the ingredients? Just look at the name of the dish. That’s nearly all there is to it - booze-soaked berries and cream. Ta-da!

It tastes like what you’d expect. I think I would have preferred a sweet Madeira, but it was twice the price of the medium-dry, so that’s what I got. It’s still good, though.

I did use spray cream, which I really don’t like, but I was keeping this as low-effort as possible.

I know what you mean about a easy as possible...
I did a rhubarb & strawberry dessert ripped with meringue. 5 ingredients including the cornflour in the meringue.
I've not written it up though.
OOOOOO that sounds good. I love that combo.

Back
Top Bottom