What did you cook, eat or drink today (August 2018)?

elk chili and sausage

20180804_144152.jpg

Today was media day for my son's high school football team, so after team and individual pictures, aerial shots, and punt/pass/kick competitions, we dug into a pot-luck buffet that was about 30 meters long. All of the team families really went all out and brought delicious dishes.

My favourites were penne in vodka sauce, sausage and peppers, Buffalo wings, and the best bbq'd whole hog that I've ever had in my life. One of the families has a farm nearby, so they slaughtered one of their hogs yesterday, then q'd it overnight on their converted 500 gallon oil tank grill. They use a specIal steamer insert on which the dressed hog lays in the center so the smoke and heat act like a convection oven while it steams from underneath.
it was extremely tender and juicy, and the skin as crisp as cracker.

I need to find an old oil tank, and a welding torch.

One of the families has a farm nearby, so they slaughtered one of their hogs yesterday, then q'd it overnight on their converted 500 gallon oil tank grill. They use a specIal steamer insert on which the dressed hog lays in the center so the smoke and heat act like a convection oven while it steams from underneath.

Blimey - never got anything like that at any school festivity I ever attended. Come to that, I've never had that anywhere.

Too hot to cook here. Antipasto (charcuterie) platter. Mixed greens, olives, artichoke hearts, fresh mozzarella, prosciutto, cherry tomatoes, sliced baguette.

Bolognese sauce started on the stove top and transferred to the slow cooker to thicken up. Served over cheese ravioli. Cannoli from the bakery for dessert.

We're on holiday in Cornwall at the moment and we went out for a rather lovely Sunday lunch.
In honour of the recipe challenge, I had Roast Hake served on a fennel salad.
I have to say that I've never been keen on fennel but this was amazing. I was trying to work out what was in the dressing. There was definitely a lemony flavour.

IMG_20180805_130954197.jpg
IMG_20180805_130814129.jpg

Lunch out. A fusion of Japanese, Cantonese and Vietnamese, the centerpiece was this lovely chicken with pineapple.

By coincidence, there are a number of mobile stalls selling pineapples on the main road out of town. I don't know why we didn't stop and get one. Bht 20.00 each currently (45 pence).

Back
Top Bottom