What did you cook, eat or drink today (December 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A quickie dinner of beer battered cod fish fillets from the market, artichoke mashed potatoes (redskin potatoes, chopped artichokes, butter and cream, salt and pepper), and steamed baby brussels sprouts with melted butter, a squeeze of lemon juice and a pinch of salt.

Last edited:
Dinner this evening: rib-eye steak, oven cooked Anya potatoes, rocket and a mustard dressing washed down with a glass of red wine Mala Vida, a particular favourite of ours.

20181224_175748(1).jpg

The pavlova has gone into the oven.
Made with yesterday's eggs so as fresh as could be.

_20181225_105104.JPG

The egg yolks will go on to make fresh eggnog a little later today. Again dairy free.

Hubby is making the main course, my next challenge is the dairy free whipped cream.
For the main course we did finally manage to find Brussel sprouts but it was a close call and they were not cheap. We did have a backup of frozen Brussel sprouts though .
DSC_3674.JPG

As you can see ,they are not the normal sized sprouts!

After 2hrs in the oven at 100C (fan assisted) the pavlova was unbelievably soft all over and nowhere near done. So I have it another 30 minutes and hoped that the time in a cooling oven would be enough to get it crisper. It wasn't . So I turned the oven back on and have it another hour to see how much extra coming time I needed for the next attempt tomorrow . Then I shut it up in the cooling oven again and only bailed it when the oven was needed for our evening meal. We prodded it, pulled off a chunk and snapped it in half and dug into it. What we have was a wonderful chewy soft meringue centre and were left with a mouthful of butterscotch/toffee to chew.

Evening meal has been reappraised, the fruit pulled out to warm up and we're back to having pavlova for Christmas desert. It seems not all failures are failures !

Cosmetically it doesn't look great with a lump out, but we don't care too much!

DSC_3710.JPG

The dairy free eggnog has faired better, thickened somewhat but tastes great .I'll either dilute it with more brandy or serve it with a spoon !

Finally our Christmas meal

Hubby cooked the main course. The sprouts cost more than everything else put together (I'm not kidding, ok ,maybe not more than all of the fruit of the pavlova but close... )

_20181225_200616.JPG

I did desert.

20181225181359_IMG_1661.JPG

20181225181340_IMG_1659.JPG

And finally the table .

_20181225_200435.JPG

The placemats are new.
My husband's wombat to match his wombat drinks mat.
_20181225_200332.JPG

And mine.
_20181225_200409.JPG

Finally our Christmas meal

Hubby cooked the main course. The sprouts cost more than everything else put together (I'm not kidding, ok ,maybe not more than all of the fruit of the pavlova but close... )

View attachment 21445

I did desert.

View attachment 21446

View attachment 21447

And finally the table .

View attachment 21448

The placemats are new.
My husband's wombat to match his wombat drinks mat.
View attachment 21449

And mine.
View attachment 21450

Great looking dessert. The sprouts look nicely charred!

What is in the bowl? And is that bread sauce in the gravy boat?

Chilli dipping sauce in the bowl. Thais never, ever eat anything without it to hand.

Just plain béchamel sauce in the boat - for the vegetables.

After the table was set, my wife brought out a bowl of rice and proceeded to add dipping sauce and the pork, ignoring the plate that was set. She took one taste of the wine, shook her head and gave the rest to me. At least she sat on a chair.

She enjoyed the Roses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom