What did you cook, eat or drink today (November 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s genuine and not sensationalistic. He features simple, regional foods that regular people eat. Well done, down to earth, and informative.

Pasta with chicken and vegetables
46115554_949071885286848_4339633353855598592_n.jpg

What I (half-made) today was a total disaster! It was an Apple Bakewell tart. At the moment I've got a broken rib so bending down is almost impossible. But anyway I managed the first five steps (made frangipane, made pastry, lined oblong flan tin, baked it blind, sliced the apples).

Then for the assembly - layer of jam in the base of the tart, then frangipane over he top and finally the sliced apples artistically arranged along the middle of the tart. Then guess what happened....

As I was awkwardly bending down to put it back in the oven it slipped out of my hand - and landed, filling side down on the kitchen floor, shattering the pastry and splurging a sticky jammy, frangipane mess everywhere. :cry:

I really should have known better.

What I (half-made) today was a total disaster! It was an Apple Bakewell tart. At the moment I've got a broken rib so bending down is almost impossible. But anyway I managed the first five steps (made frangipane, made pastry, lined oblong flan tin, baked it blind, sliced the apples).

Then for the assembly - layer of jam in the base of the tart, then frangipane over he top and finally the sliced apples artistically arranged along the middle of the tart. Then guess what happened....

As I was awkwardly bending down to put it back in the oven it slipped out of my hand - and landed, filling side down on the kitchen floor, shattering the pastry and splurging a sticky jammy, frangipane mess everywhere. :cry:

I really should have known better.
Oh no! Apple Bakewell sounds lovely. Prefer it on a plate though.

At the beginning of November I started working on a 'winter bread'. I want a heavy and tasty bread, packed with seeds and nuts. I suspect I'll still be playing with ideas and flavour combinations by Xmas. Today I made the 5th iteration - I used five different flours, four types of seeds, plus pine nuts. Here are a couple of photos of today's bread.

I'll create a thread soon which describes in more detail what I'm doing, how and why.

Edit - done, it's here https://www.cookingbites.com/posts/135231/

5th Winter bread 2A 13112018.jpg
5th Winter bread 4A 13112018.jpg

Last edited:
I've been making quite a few dishes over the last few days - most of which haven't worked at all (and then there was the tart I dropped on the floor). My partner says I'm too critical but I think he just likes anything. I can't bear it when things don't taste right or look right. Hence, no photos from me.

Tomorrow perhaps?

I've skipped photos tons of time for the same reason..start out with good intentions, but somewhere along the line, things go awry..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom