What did you cook/eat today (April 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night - oysters to start and then mussels in chilli tomato sauce in fish restaurant:

fullsizeoutput_31f7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_31f6.jpeg

Yorky lives well. Beer battered cod is a fave of mine too. We have red and blue cod here. Blue is amazing and about $40 kg. Red cod is the opposite. I wouldn't even try to cook it.

And detroitdad, what is that? Only thing I can make out is some cucumber?

Russ

So, Mr expert deep-frier and egg-lover, @Yorky, why is it you haven't you joined in the Cookalong this time round? :whistling:

The recipes for the meals/dishes that I cook which include fried boiled eggs have already been posted on Cookingbites. I did post pictures of Scotch eggs which I cooked some time ago but there isn't really a recipe, just finely minced seasoned pork wrapped around a hard boiled egg and rolled in egg yolk then breadcrumbs.

[Edit: Ooops, I posted it in "Eggs, Cheese and Dairy"]

Last edited:
Rollatinis with pasta and sauce. Rollatinis are very thin sliced sirloin rolled with fillings, which can include moz, parm, mushrooms, spinach, fresh basil, pepperoni, prosciutto. These had pepperoni, basil and sliced mushrooms.

View attachment 15690

Looks delicioso.

Rolatinis here are usually eggplant or zucchini. I love the idea of using sirloin.

Come to think of it, meats that are filled with said ingredients are called involtinis. I wonder how Italians define rolled or stuffed.

My wife made steamed Littleneck clams as an appy, then her first attempt at Calamari Marinara from scratch (well, from tinned toms and the rest). Side of rigaoni, a toasted baguette, and herb infused "fragrante" olive oil for dipping.

Everything was outstanding.

And detroitdad, what is that? Only thing I can make out is some cucumber?

Russ

Pretty sure that's honeydew and cantaloupe, some kind of rye bread, and eggs I think (pic not on this page so can't take a quick look). Then there's the mystery meat.

Looks delicioso.

Rolatinis here are usually eggplant or zucchini. I love the idea of using sirloin.

Come to think of it, meats that are filled with said ingredients are called involtinis. I wonder how Italians define rolled or stuffed.

Craig introduced me to and always makes these. He's always called them rollatinis. Technically, you are correct that they are involtinis, but looking through google results for both words, they have apparently become synonyms in common usage for protein or vegetable roll-ups. Rollatini, BTW, is an American-Italian word.

The recipes for the meals/dishes that I cook which include fried boiled eggs have already been posted on Cookingbites. I did post pictures of Scotch eggs which I cooked some time ago but there isn't really a recipe, just finely minced seasoned pork wrapped around a hard boiled egg and rolled in egg yolk then breadcrumbs.

[Edit: Ooops, I posted it in "Eggs, Cheese and Dairy"]

There are so many other ways to cook deep fried eggs - in a bhaji batter for example...
The cookalong has been a real eye opener for me. The only way I'd ever deep fried an egg was as a Scotch egg before.

We had Tom Yum Gai & Goong

I brought home a kilo of prawn shells last night so I made a quick stock, strained, back into the pot with some gingery chicken broth from the freezer.

In with purchased Tom Yum paste & a whizzed up tin of tomatoes to give the broth some body.

Chunks of chicken breast, which I snipped with scissors once almost cooked before adding rice stick noodles, broccoli florets, prawns, home grown tatsoi greens.

Dinner in 30 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom