What did you cook/eat today (April 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you posted a recipe for those burger buns? I generally buy them when we have burf=gers as they are so cheap here - but I ought to try making my own.

I haven't but will. The recipe had an option for adding parm too. Nearly all the recipes in that book have their own bread to complement the burger.

Buns are cheap here as well, but we didn't want to go to store since we had everything else and they were simple to make, just required some time.

Last edited:
grilling tomorrow. Slow cooked chicken breasts and venison/ chorizo burgers.

20180407_114458.jpg

Pizza night tonight! It won't be ready until about 10.15, but the bread maker is doing the hard work. One day I will get round to doing one with a sourdough base - the recipe I have does four or five and assumes they will be cooked fresh and eaten all at once. I shall probably do half the amount of dough and see how best to freeze the base, i.e. whether to freeze the dough unbaked, or par-bake it.

Pizza night tonight! It won't be ready until about 10.15, but the bread maker is doing the hard work. One day I will get round to doing one with a sourdough base - the recipe I have does four or five and assumes they will be cooked fresh and eaten all at once. I shall probably do half the amount of dough and see how best to freeze the base, i.e. whether to freeze the dough unbaked, or par-bake it.

I'm not sure which is better but rolled out and par-baked would be very convenient for cooking.

Pasta with our oven dried tomatoes, chicken breast brined, roasted and sliced, dried basil, parm, white wine, chicken stock, red pepper flakes, and mozzarella pearls stirred in last minute or so of cooking.

I wanted to use fresh basil, but discovered that the fresh that looked fine yesterday turned brown overnight.

2018-04-07 18.11.34.jpg

chicken breast brined

I may have asked this before, if so apologies. Lately I've been discovering dry brining. I've cooked steaks twice using this method and couldn't believe the difference in both taste and tenderness. In fact, I've never particularly like steak before as (and this may be down to quality) it always seemed too chewy despite cooking it rare and resting it. So - with the chicken, are you dry or wet brining?

Wet. I just kind of eyeballed it. Some salt, some white wine, water, basil, smashed garlic.

We do it with pork chops as well, but use beer or apple cider (hard), brown sugar or honey, thyme usually, smashed garlic, and water.

Wet. I just kind of eyeballed it. Some salt, some white wine, water, basil, smashed garlic.

We do it with pork chops as well, but use beer or apple cider (hard), brown sugar or honey, thyme usually, smashed garlic, and water.
Ok - so a wet brine. :okay: Do you ever do a dry brine?

No, we talked about trying it with a turkey last year but decided Craig would do a smoked one instead. I never seem to remember in time to try it with a chicken roasted in the oven.

We went to tour a WWII Iowa class battleship, the USS New Jersey, that is now permanently docked as a museum.

0407181430c_HDR.jpg

Afterwards, we went out to a nearby seafood restaurant in Philadelphia.

We started with mussels in a wine, butter, tomato and herb sauce, then my wife ordered the fire roasted fisherman's platter (salmon, shrimp, and lobster tail), and my boy and I had the mariner's feast (broiled lobster tail, shrimp scampi, snow crab, and scallops). We all had wild rice pilaf and sauteed string beans with button mushrooms as sides. Everything was fantastic.

No, we talked about trying it with a turkey last year but decided Craig would do a smoked one instead. I never seem to remember in time to try it with a chicken roasted in the oven.

I'm now confused :unsure: - you said before:

Some salt, some white wine, water, basil, smashed garlic.

That sounds wet to me. The way I do a dry brine is simply salt rubbed into the meat. Nothing else.

I was answering your question of whether we had tried dry brining.

Oh! Sorry... :oops: I must get with it!

Well if you haven't then try it next time you cook a steak - just a scant teaspoon of salt rubbed in each side and leave for minimum of an hour. Then I rub what's left of the salt off. Couldn't be easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom