What did you cook/eat today (August 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It would be interesting to take a peak at that recipe to see what the problem might be - can you post a link?
If I can find it again! I think it's a problem with the oven temperature and/or cooking times. The recipe was very pro-frozen food too, and I used fresh, but that was not the trouble because up to the point where the frozen stuff was cooked (and subsequently thawed) didn't affect the rest of the cooking time etc.

I've been eating myself silly today! Breakfast was muesli with a handful of Brazil nuts, yoghurt and the top of the milk, followed by a nice dark chocolate digestive for elevenses.

Lunch was eggs kejriwal and salad. I couldn't be bothered to delve in the freezer for the frozen chillies, so I used a couple of pinches of dried crushed red chilli on top of the cheese, and my favourite hot chilli powder and black pepper on the eggs, which were a tiny bit runnier than I usually have them :laugh:

Eggs Kejriwal.jpg

Tonight's dinner was saag gosht (lamb and spinach curry) with chapattis made with wholegrain flour. Sorry, the photo's blurred; it was piping hot, straight from the pan, and steaming.

Saag gosht.jpg

What is the difference, please? I love to eat panzanella.

As first thing they don't use the unsalted bread like in Tuscany do. Then they add also radishes slices, black olives, and sometimes some leaves of fresh fennel. Well ok, is very good but I prefer the classic version. I've also found out in that area (Orvieto/Todi) there is a large production of fennel, suffron and truffle. Today we are in Lazio (border with Campania) and surely we'll eat something with culinary influence of Campania..

Wow. My dream is to spend a year wandering Italy eating.

Tonight I am making my MIL's meatloaf.
Serving with mashed garlicy potato & cauliflower. Carrot, peas, corn, broccoli, choko & zucchini all steamed & doused in butter.

@Frizz1974 I hope you can do it asap :)... but I'm not so sure that a year is enough :laugh:..
I like the dish you are making...sorry what choko is?

As first thing they don't use the unsalted bread like in Tuscany do. Then they add also radishes slices, black olives, and sometimes some leaves of fresh fennel. Well ok, is very good but I prefer the classic version. I've also found out in that area (Orvieto/Todi) there is a large production of fennel, suffron and truffle. Today we are in Lazio (border with Campania) and surely we'll eat something with culinary influence of Campania..

@MypinchofItaly

When I was in Umbria many years ago ( 1990 and then again in 1997 ), I recall that the Umbria Panazaretta Salad has fennel as they are growers .. Also, basil, thyme, day old bread, cucumber, tomato, small red horn shaped sweet fresh peppers, red wine vinegar, Evoo, and salt and freshly ground black pepper. I have the recipe and had saved it all these years in a plastic binder of that trip.

Yes, they are big growers of saffron as is Abruzzo too ..

This área has incredible high sierra mountains and hills dropping down to the sea:

In rememberance, I liked their Torta al Testo, an unleavened (no yeast) bread prepared on hot stones or hot griddles !

They are also large producers of Evoo too and a most renowned dish in this región close to the Marches región, is Vincisgrassi Lasagne, a hearty lasagne prepared with Chicken Ragù instead of meat ..

Have a lovely day ..

@Yorky

Just an appetiser .. However, the home made French Mayo that the Hotel Restaurant prepares is amazing !!! It is more of an Ali Oli ..

Whelks are nice in very small quantities .. They have a tendance to be a bit chewy ..

I have never had them steamed .. Some restaurants and people use Whelks in the renowned Bouillaibasse
shellfish and fish stews to flavor the sauce ..

Have a lovely day ..

@Yorky

Simply too too well done for my tastes.

Sorry to hear, about your misunderstandings .. These things happen occassionally !

To better days and have a lovely one ..

DSC_0545.JPG

Had some of this for breakfast (along with bacon, roasted tomatoes, poached duck egg and hash browns), made by a local butcher. The first high street butcher I have found that makes their own black pudding. I have been driving past his shop for about five years but never called in until this week. Glad I did. He also makes his own sausage, bacon, pork pies and other savoury items, and is very reasonably priced. I bought 2 x chicken breasts, 6 x breakfast sausages, a pork pie, 6 x duck eggs and the above slab of pudding - all for just £11.50. I shall be returning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom