What did you cook/eat today (August 2017)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Lullabelle

Lovely lovely view ..

Espresso for me is my daily fuel ! At 6am ..

I do not put industrialised cow milk or cream in anything ..

I prefer tea as is .. or with a gentle drizzle of fresh lemon or Iced Tea with a gentle drizzle of lemon. My fave tea is aromatic Earl Grey Black Tea ..

Have a lovely day ..

This is a type of fresh daily catch of fish and shellfish in a popular stew with millions of variations from 1 restaurant or 1 family to another .. It is called Boulaibaisse or Brodetto in Italian .. Simply a Shellfish & Fish Stew .. Reference: Montpellier, Languedoc, France ..
Not the best photograph !

FRANCESCABOUILBAISSEEBRODETTO20140726_134709.jpg

Last edited:
@MypinchofItaly

When I was in Umbria many years ago ( 1990 and then again in 1997 ), I recall that the Umbria Panazaretta Salad has fennel as they are growers .. Also, basil, thyme, day old bread, cucumber, tomato, small red horn shaped sweet fresh peppers, red wine vinegar, Evoo, and salt and freshly ground black pepper. I have the recipe and had saved it all these years in a plastic binder of that trip.

Yes, they are big growers of saffron as is Abruzzo too ..

This área has incredible high sierra mountains and hills dropping down to the sea:

In rememberance, I liked their Torta al Testo, an unleavened (no yeast) bread prepared on hot stones or hot griddles !

They are also large producers of Evoo too and a most renowned dish in this región close to the Marches región, is Vincisgrassi Lasagne, a hearty lasagne prepared with Chicken Ragù instead of meat ..

Have a lovely day ..

Torta al Testo! Yes I've eaten a lot of it in Umbria! I've also tasted their Evoo but its not surprised me so much. I prefer Evoo from Puglia or Liguria. Panzanella change ingredients depending on the areas, but the main ingredients are always stale bread (never just made or you'll obtain a mush), vinegar, ripe tomatoes, cucumber, red onions, evoo, salt. Black pepper and basil not often.

Torta al Testo! Yes I've eaten a lot of it in Umbria! I've also tasted their Evoo but its not surprised me so much. I prefer Evoo from Puglia or Liguria. Panzanella change ingredients depending on the areas, but the main ingredients are always stale bread (never just made or you'll obtain a mush), vinegar, ripe tomatoes, cucumber, red onions, evoo, salt. Black pepper and basil not often.

@MypinchofItaly

Yes, Torta al Testo !! Wonderful !!

Yes, I agree. I prefer Liguria Evoo and Puglia Evoo are my favorites of Italy ..

Yes, each región adopts to their seasonal product availabitlity .. The key is the stale or day old bread cubes. "Pan" in Spanish = Bread but it must be stale or 1 day old bread !!

Have a wonderful day !!!

This is a type of fresh daily catch of fish and shellfish in a popular stew with millions of variations from 1 restaurant or 1 family to another .. It is called Boulaibaisse or Brodetto in Italian .. Simply a Shellfish & Fish Stew .. Reference: Montpellier, Langudoc, France ..
Not the best photograph !

View attachment 10002

@MypinchofItaly

This Brodetto or Bouillaibaisse was amazingly exceptional ( the photo does not do justice ) .. Truly incredible.

Red Mullet, Tiny Clusters of Baby Octopus, Seabass, A little bit of Squid ... Seasonal large prawns .. And a couple of other delicate fish caught off the boats.

Quite wonderful .. I shall have to post the récipe when I have more time ..

Have a lovely day ..

You can keep the oysters, but the rest of it looks great. Especially that knife. I like it very much, what is it? It looks a little over-engineered for cracking quail eggs:thumbsup:

Oysters are my favourite seafood in the world. I could eat them for breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper (and I have!).

The knife is actually a 'paring knife' curved to make it easier to peel fruit (I think). Its is perfect for quail's eggs since apapart from being delicate and sharp it has a super sharp tip with which to puncture the tough inner membrane once you have cracked the shell.

View attachment 9998

Had some of this for breakfast (along with bacon, roasted tomatoes, poached duck egg and hash browns), made by a local butcher. The first high street butcher I have found that makes their own black pudding. I have been driving past his shop for about five years but never called in until this week. Glad I did. He also makes his own sausage, bacon, pork pies and other savoury items, and is very reasonably priced. I bought 2 x chicken breasts, 6 x breakfast sausages, a pork pie, 6 x duck eggs and the above slab of pudding - all for just £11.50. I shall be returning!

That black pudding looks very good. :hungry:

Oysters are my favourite seafood in the world. I could eat them for breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper (and I have!).

The knife is actually a 'paring knife' curved to make it easier to peel fruit (I think). Its is perfect for quail's eggs since apapart from being delicate and sharp it has a super sharp tip with which to puncture the tough inner membrane once you have cracked the shell.

@morning glory

I too, am an absolute grand enthusiast of fresh raw Oysters on the Half Shell ..

Have a nice evening ..

Easy to do! Sautee the chopped mushroom stalks with crumbled black pudding then pack into the mushrooms, drizzle with oil and bake for 20 mins. The black pudding becomes a bit crispy on top.

Oh good! If only I could find the black pudding here.
And even the "sanguinaccio" Italian version is not easily available .. it is not a product that can be marketed, it is not sell in a supermarket, we have to go to some peasant or farmer who still does ..or maybe I could come again in UK :happy:

Lunch today was Tiella. We are in Gaeta, a city on the sea in Lazio but so close to Campania border and tiella is a typical dish both from Lazio and from Campania. Tiella is a sort of pizza, filled with vegetables or fish or meat. Our was with seafood: two puffpastries filled with polpo, squids, spinach, tomatoes and mussels. I think tonight we'll skip dinner ... but there are some smells from the kitchen and in the streets that I can't resist..

Oh good! If only I could find the black pudding here.
And even the "sanguinaccio" Italian version is not easily available .. it is not a product that can be marketed, it is not sell in a supermarket, we have to go to some peasant or farmer who still does ..or maybe I could come again in UK :happy:

@MypinchofItaly & @Lullabelle,

Black pudding = Morcilla de Burgos = Black Blood Sausage ..

The most popular ways we prepare Morcilla de Burgos ( Burgos, Castille Leon = The Designation of Origin) are:

Burgos is the official designation of the blood sausage or black pudding or Morcilla de Burgos since before the Catholic Kings in 1490 .. It is one of the oldest porc products produced in the country ..

I am sure if you spoke to your Butcher, he may know someone in Milano who imports direct from Spain / Burgos ..

1) direct on flame ( a la brasa ) or BBQ ..
2) Sautéed on a grill ..
3) Sautéed in a skillet ..
4) In all our Bean dishes ( however, one must buy them fresh in their casing (porc skin) and cook whole or they shall break up in the cooking vessel )
5) As a tapa whole or in rounds ..

I like them whole and prepared on a flame ( a la brasa ) ..

The best we have ever had, was at a tiny bistro in the Capital of Burgos behind the Cathedral on a narrow laned cobblestone street .. The direct flame brings out all the flavor of the stuffed black pudding ..

The 2 most common, could be stuffed with 1 of the following:
Onion & Garlic with Rice
Rice & Pumplin (calabaza)

Have a lovely day ..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom