What did you cook/eat today (January 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_1107.JPG

I decided to freehand a stir-fry, and this is what it looked like. Those are chunks of sirloin (a pound in all for the wok) along with corn, cauliflower, and green onions. No clue what the proportions were for the seasoning I used, but it ended up tasty. Just as I was done putting it together, I realized I forgot to add one of the most obvious of stir-fry ingredients: carrots (I have several pounds at any given time in my refrigerator). The sweetness was provided by the corn, so the flavor isn't missed much, but the color would have been a nice addition.

My rocket is shooting to seed so I’d like to know more about your pesto please MPoI.
I've made an arugula (rocket) pesto before (copying @MypinchofItaly), and it was spectacular. I made it exactly the same way that one might make a basil pesto:

greens (rocket in this case)
parmesano reggiano
olive oil
garlic
nuts (I didn't have pine nuts handy, so I used almonds)

The rocket adds a peppery-ness that you don't expect in a pesto. I'm sure that freshly picked will be even better!

I've made an arugula (rocket) pesto before (copying @MypinchofItaly), and it was spectacular. I made it exactly the same way that one might make a basil pesto:

parmesano reggiano
olive oil
garlic

The rocket adds a peppery-ness that you don't expect in a pesto. I'm sure that freshly picked will be even better!
I used fresh young carrot tops in mine with walnuts. https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/carrot-top-pesto.9683/

My rocket is shooting to seed so I’d like to know more about your pesto please MPoI. I make one with kale & parsley sometimes.

On Monday we ate kofta curry laden with many veg served with naan.

Last night we had Salt & Pepper chicken Wings using Kylie Kwongs’ recipe for roasted Szechuan pepper & salt mix.

Served with :

Vegetarian San Choy Bau

View attachment 12966

Spicy Asian Slaw

View attachment 12967

I’m pretty happy with these pics which is just as well as I stood on a chair to take the only to have both of my sisters in law walk in to ask their brother a question - family doesn’t knock.

@Frizz1974 I've just posted Rocket pesto recipe https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/rocket-arugula-pesto.11812/

parmesano reggiano
olive oil
garlic

I have to say that I like that peppery-ness in rocket pesto, but to husband a little less.
So I also added some ricotta to dampen the spicy taste of rocket ... not bad

Sausage, beans and eggs on toast.

eggs beans sausage 3 s.jpg

eggs beans sausage 4 s.jpg

With a soupçon of Yorkshire Chop sauce.

@morning glory Beautiful plate. I told Craig I really want to try skate next time we see it at our seafood place.

We had a simple to put together, stick it in the oven and let it bake dinner last night. Boneless chicken thighs or breasts, swiss cheese slices, canned cream of mushroom soup mixed with 1/4 cup of white wine, topped with packaged stuffing/dressing mix, drizzled butter, and baked for 45 minutes at 350 F. Served over egg noodles.

Could you describe that wooden spoon for me (or better still include an image). It looks very interesting.

Its a wooded spoon with a hole. It came as part of a paella pan set so I assume its traditionally used for paella (not sure - @Francesca would know). OTOH, my knowledge of how to make Paella says you don't stir it.

I find it quite useful for stir-fries.

Photo on 18-01-2018 at 12.20.jpg

I find it quite useful for stir-fries.

It looks perfect for stir fries. I'm surprised I haven't seen one like it before given that I've spent many years in Chinese communities. Maybe I have seen one but I haven't being paying attention. I shall research this further.

I shall research this further.

Something that I've read this evening: "It's a derivative of a risotto spoon which has a hole in it but all of the edges are rounded for gentleness. It's made of wood for two reasons; one is gentleness and the other is insulation (risotto is stirred constantly and gentleness is important to not ground the grains of rice into mush and insulation is important because the implement spends the entire time in the pan and you don't want to burn your hands.)"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom