What did you cook/eat today (January 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Something that I've read this evening: "It's a derivative of a risotto spoon which has a hole in it but all of the edges are rounded for gentleness. It's made of wood for two reasons; one is gentleness and the other is insulation (risotto is stirred constantly and gentleness is important to not ground the grains of rice into mush and insulation is important because the implement spends the entire time in the pan and you don't want to burn your hands.)"

Ah! Makes far more sense than a paella spoon! I guess that whatever company it was that created my 'Paella Gift Pack' didn't know the difference between paella and risotto! I bought the 'gift pack' last January in Tesco's. It was Christmas stock they were selling off so it only cost £6 for a decent non-stock paella pan, spices and the spoon. This is the pan - its actually quite large in diameter:

20171018_172432.jpg

I'm determined to make them use up all the leftovers today. We've barely cooked for days but the fridge is packed full of containers of leftovers. Crazy. Today it ends.

The salads can be lunches. There's seafood salad, potato salad, Asian slaw, still so much ham & roast chicken.

Then there is 2 big containers of beef curry. I'll do rice & a fish curry & reheat the beef curry.

I'm determined to make them use up all the leftovers today. We've barely cooked for days but the fridge is packed full of containers of leftovers. Crazy. Today it ends.

The salads can be lunches. There's seafood salad, potato salad, Asian slaw, still so much ham & roast chicken.

Then there is 2 big containers of beef curry. I'll do rice & a fish curry & reheat the beef curry.

Your leftovers sound like a feast! :hungry:

Last night we had an experiment. Used our new kitchen toy to sheet a butternut squash and make lasagna noodles. Sauteed some Italian sausage with onion, garlic and fresh sage. Flavored some butter with fresh sage, then let the butter just start to brown, made a bechemel, and added ParmR. Flavored some ricotta with some of the sage that had cooked in the butter for just a few minutes before I pulled it out. Put the whole thing together and baked. Alas, I used too much bechemel and it just collapsed when I pulled slices out to serve. Tasted good though so we'll make again with a tweak or 2, besides greatly decreasing the amount of bechemel used. Oh, we had broccoli rabe as a side.

Last night we had an experiment. Used our new kitchen toy to sheet a butternut squash and make lasagna noodles. Sauteed some Italian sausage with onion, garlic and fresh sage. Flavored some butter with fresh sage, then let the butter just start to brown, made a bechemel, and added ParmR. Flavored some ricotta with some of the sage that had cooked in the butter for just a few minutes before I pulled it out. Put the whole thing together and baked. Alas, I used too much bechemel and it just collapsed when I pulled slices out to serve. Tasted good though so we'll make again with a tweak or 2, besides greatly decreasing the amount of bechemel used. Oh, we had broccoli rabe as a side.

I was wondering if you would post something about that new toy. I think it might collapse anyway because butternut squash goes very soft when cooked... be interesting to see.

2018-01-18 17.16.03.jpg
I was wondering if you would post something about that new toy. I think it might collapse anyway because butternut squash goes very soft when cooked... be interesting to see.
We did decide we needed to double up the noodles. We had to use the thinnest blade to cut it because the thicker one just had too much resistance. Even with the thinner blade, Craig had to hold the spindle in to keep it from popping out. The butternut is just too hard I guess. I went back and looked at the recipe book you can download for it and there aren't any butternut recipes, guess that should have given a hint. The hardest veges are carrots and daikons. The noodles did come out pretty though. These were cut on the 1.3 mm blade.

Well how beautiful they look! Almost like little croissants. Are you going to post the recipe?

Honestly I did not want to do some croissants but some candies ... I created some "croindies" ... I made them quickly, I have to try again. I'll post the recipe shortly (although it's easy to guess from the pictures)

I've done nothing but eat the past few days. Had a trip to London seeing friends while my husband was at a conference. I've been to the excellent Indian YMCA for rice, fish curry, onion pakoras, poppadoms and lime pickle. All for £7. Love that place and love it more as my dad used to go there in his 20s so 50-60 years ago.
An OK pub supper (scampi and chips). Next day was average dim sum (disapponting), but fabulous pizza in the evening. All meals eaten with fabulous company.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom