What did you cook/eat today (January 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since today is extremely chilly, it seemed only reasonable to make an extreme chilli. This was something of a "what's kicking around in the cupboard and fridge?" affair, but we managed to dig out some lentils, broad beans, onion, garlic, ginger and (toot! parp!) chillis to produce the desired result.

Having leftover corn flour in the cupboard, I've prepared these baked polenta candies stuffed with gorgonzola cheese and sage.
20171212_120336.jpg

Since today is extremely chilly, it seemed only reasonable to make an extreme chilli. This was something of a "what's kicking around in the cupboard and fridge?" affair, but we managed to dig out some lentils, broad beans, onion, garlic, ginger and (toot! parp!) chillis to produce the desired result.

Sounds like good combo. I love broad beans.

Oh dear! The best laid schemes o' mice an' men definitely gang aft a-gley. I still wasn't 100% so Friday night's leftovers (plus the rest of the onion bhajis) became Saturday night's dinner instead of lunch. Sunday dinner was a simple stir fry with boiled rice.

A couple of evenings ago we watched a tv programme by the chef Tom Kerridge, he used to be a very big lad but has lost a lot of weight. His new series is all about tasty, healthy low calorie meals. One of his dishes was a lasagne, instead of pasta he used sliced courgette and the cheese topping is ricotta, mozzarella and parmesan. My husband cooked it for dinner this evening and it was very tasty.

View attachment 12729
I've saved a load of Tom Kerridge's recipes and haven't found any that I don't like (except the fishy ones!). Doesn't he look different now that he's lost all that weight? I couldn't believe it when I saw a photo of him.

My husband likes to make a huge pot of chilli or bologneses sauce, divided into seperate pots and frozen. Quick easy mid week meals :okay:

I cooked the sauce low & slow on the lowest possible setting so that it doesn't burn or scorch. This method helps to tenderize the ground beef to make it soft and also makes the sauce taste well cooked.

I don't like to rush tomato sauce Doing it low & slow is key to great success!! :wink:

I cooked the sauce low & slow on the lowest possible setting so that it doesn't burn or scorch. This method helps to tenderize the ground beef to make it soft and also makes the sauce taste well cooked.

I don't like to rush tomato sauce Doing it low & slow is key to great success!! :wink:

I have not yet tried cooking chili con carne in my slow cooker as I normally cook a greater quantity than will fit. I must try it sometime with half the quantity.

I have not yet tried cooking chili con carne in my slow cooker as I normally cook a greater quantity than will fit. I must try it sometime with half the quantity.
I made a batch of chili con carne in my slow cooker and it was delicious. I use stewing steak cut into cubes instead of mince these days, or make a veggie chili instead.

I made a batch of chili con carne in my slow cooker and it was delicious. I use stewing steak cut into cubes instead of mince these days, or make a veggie chili instead.

Beef mince is not easy to obtain here these days. The main (largest) supermarket has stopped selling beef completely (strict Buddhists don't eat much beef) so we have to venture far afield. I am able to obtain cubed beef and minced beef from Bangkok (at a premium, obviously). Chili con carne with cubed beef? Mmmmm. Possibly.

Last edited:
Not possibly, @Yorky but definitely. Much nicer than mince in my opinion.

I've been cooking chili con carne with beef mince since the early 80s. It'll be a big change for me to go cubist particularly considering the dubious quality of the cheaper beef cuts here.

I've been cooking chili con carne with beef mince since the early 80s. It'll be a big change for me to go cubist particularly considering the dubious quality of the cheaper beef cuts here.

You can always dice the cubes smaller - the 'original' chilli con carne would have used chunks of meat I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom