What did you cook/eat today (January 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can always dice the cubes smaller - the 'original' chilli con carne would have used chunks of meat I think.

If my wife prepares the meat for a laarb, she dices it very small, in fact, it ends up looking like mince. (I use the machinery).

However, I have tried preparing a laarb with slightly larger cuts (slices) of pork. It wasn't an outstanding success but it wasn't bad.

spicy pork salad.jpg

IMG_1094.JPG

Sirloin Burger with Mac & Cheese, Brussels Sprouts, and a Spicy Olive Sauce.

I'm still annoyed that the cold is preventing me from grilling, but the burger still tastes good coming out of a pan. The Mac & Cheese has bacon in it, which covers two common burger toppings at the same time. The sprouts are steamed, so they provide the fresh vegetable component. I probably spent more time with the olive sauce than everything else combined: it has green olives, green Anaheim peppers, anchovies, vinegar, and olive oil. The overall effect is very tasty, but the sprouts aren't as pronounced as I'd hoped (maybe something to do with all the other things I'm eating in the same bite). Next time, I'll blanch them.

I've saved a load of Tom Kerridge's recipes and haven't found any that I don't like (except the fishy ones!). Doesn't he look different now that he's lost all that weight? I couldn't believe it when I saw a photo of him.

He looks much better and healthier.

I cooked the sauce low & slow on the lowest possible setting so that it doesn't burn or scorch. This method helps to tenderize the ground beef to make it soft and also makes the sauce taste well cooked.

I don't like to rush tomato sauce Doing it low & slow is key to great success!! :wink:

The thing about making a big batch is that the flavours get more time to mix so the longer it is left the tastier it becomes.

I have not yet tried cooking chili con carne in my slow cooker as I normally cook a greater quantity than will fit. I must try it sometime with half the quantity.

We don't have a slow cooker, just a huge stock pot :okay:

Beef mince is not easy to obtain here these days. The main (largest) supermarket has stopped selling beef completely (strict Buddhists don't eat much beef) so we have to venture far afield. I am able to obtain cubed beef and minced beef from Bangkok (at a premium, obviously). Chili con carne with cubed beef? Mmmmm. Possibly.

Why not? What law says you can't?

View attachment 12750

Sirloin Burger with Mac & Cheese, Brussels Sprouts, and a Spicy Olive Sauce.

I'm still annoyed that the cold is preventing me from grilling, but the burger still tastes good coming out of a pan. The Mac & Cheese has bacon in it, which covers two common burger toppings at the same time. The sprouts are steamed, so they provide the fresh vegetable component. I probably spent more time with the olive sauce than everything else combined: it has green olives, green Anaheim peppers, anchovies, vinegar, and olive oil. The overall effect is very tasty, but the sprouts aren't as pronounced as I'd hoped (maybe something to do with all the other things I'm eating in the same bite). Next time, I'll blanch them.

An interesting combo. Perhaps the sprouts need pan frying with the olives and anchovies... just a thought.

An interesting combo. Perhaps the sprouts need pan frying with the olives and anchovies... just a thought.
That does sound like a great idea. As with many of my unusual pairings, it came about because I had these things separately and decided to see what would happen.

Last night I chargrilled slices of onion, pumpkin & zucchini plus some chicken fillets.

These went into a salad with cooked lentils & quinoa, chopped herbs, shredded kale & pomegranate arils.

The dressing was a pomegranate molasses vinaigrette with poppy seeds.

Huge big bowl & all gone.

Monday night's dinner was one of my infamous "odds and sods" soups to use up leftovers before my new veg box comes (yes, they've gone back to delivering on a Tuesday, with the old delivery driver - much better). Soup was a mix of leeks fried in olive oil and unsalted butter, with cubed red potatoes, chopped carrots, and chopped courgettes, served with grated extra mature Cheddar cheese, freshly ground black pepper, and a thick chunk of home-made bread. P.S. The photo shows only about half of the soup - there was far more than I could get in the bowl :laugh:

Odds and Sods soup.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom