What did you cook/eat today (March 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight's dinner is a salad with romaine, chunks of red onions, halved grape toms, julienned carrots, and feta cheese crumbles. I need to find a suitable dressing, quick.

Then salmon cakes on burger buns with shaved red onions and tartar sauce.

For lunch today, I am at this very moment eating a Bumstead Sandwich. Among Sub Sandwiches and Hero Sandwiches, the Bumstead takes content to the limit.

It is named for Dagwood Bumstead, one of the two characters with his wife, Blondie, who once starred in the Blondie TV Series. Dagwood was originally a cartoon character who eventually went cinema. In the TV series Dagwood made a super hero sandwich which has since become known as a Bumstead. It contains layer upon layer of deli meats and cheese.

BumsteadSandwich.png

I didn't make this sandwich, but had it made for me while out shopping today at the local Whole Foods Market for stuff for a special recipe. Whole Foods was the only place I found selling Octopus locally. :)

This one has Lettuce, Tomato, Onions with Oil and Balsamic Vinegar, Sopresatta, Honey Ham, Smoked Turkey, Provolone Cheese and Bacon Strips, all on a Dutch Crunch Roll.

I could have done this myself, but what the hey, I was there at the deli and was hungry.

They made it to my specs.

Hmmmm, tonight..... Not sure. It's Wednesday here and that means I normally pick up amate of mine I've known since high school and go for a beer at our local, I will take some pork crackling that I make. He loves it along with a few hangers on that hang around us,lol. Prolly a hamburger and fries on my way home later.

Russ

We had cauliflower 2 ways :giggle: steaks (with garam masala) and pakoras. And a daal. Served with apple pickle.

Husband says it was nicest daal he has had, but I prefer taaka daal.

Easy and cheap vegan food.

Last edited:
Do you get that sold in packets there? In UK 'pork scratchings' are often sold in pubs.
Yeah called scratching here as well, but nothing like I make, mine just melts in your mouth, I'll put some picks up, I trim all fat off then cut into strips then salt then in the oven. These are heaven!!

Russ
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I've never had homemade pork cracklins before. Only the commercially made ones, and those are nasty.

I think I'll have to save the skin from this year's Easter ham and give it a try.

Dinner tonight is some leftover mussels marinara, some turkey meataballs that my wife made in a doctored up jar of sauce, and tagliatelle.

It's 5 minutes to midnight here, and I haven't eaten yet. Omelette, chips and baked beans tonight! With a slice of bread to mop up the juices, of course :D

Omelette, chips and baked beans tonight! With a slice of bread to mop up the juices, of course :D
I haven't eaten either! Well - tasted stuff I cooked earlier but I've not eaten a proper meal. And its now 1.20 am. I'm going down the egg route too - poached with some baked beans on toast. And harissa!

I haven't eaten either! Well - tasted stuff I cooked earlier but I've not eaten a proper meal. And its now 1.20 am. I'm going down the egg route too - poached with some baked beans on toast. And harissa!
Actually, when I went to get the eggs out of the fridge, I found a few mushrooms, and there were some squidgy tomatoes in the cupboard, so I ended up having two fried eggs with mushrooms, tomatoes, and chips to go with my bread! The dog might have the beans tomorrow for his breakfast:giggle:

Actually, when I went to get the eggs out of the fridge, I found a few mushrooms, and there were some squidgy tomatoes in the cupboard, so I ended up having two fried eggs with mushrooms, tomatoes, and chips to go with my bread! The dog might have the beans tomorrow for his breakfast:giggle:
My kinda brekky, I loved the greasy spoons I visited as I travelled around the uk. I do a pretty close imitation. But...no chips.

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom