What did you cook/eat today (March 2018)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My kinda brekky, I loved the greasy spoons I visited as I travelled around the uk. I do a pretty close imitation. But...no chips.

Russ
A normal evening meal here, although if I go away I often have a full English breakfast and have to think of something else to have for dinner :laugh: We mustn't mock the greasy spoon, either. A few years ago one not a million miles away from me got a one star rating in the michelin guide. It was a very basic transport cafe but the food was excellent. Alas, thanks to a road widening scheme, it is no longer there.

I've never had homemade pork cracklins before. Only the commercially made ones, and those are nasty.

I have never intentionally made homemade pork crackling, however, some years ago I was assisting in cooking the local pub's Christmas dinner and was advised to buy a big lump of pig fat to render down to roast the potatoes (the job that I was allocated). After I rendered it down to obtain the lard I was left with the most wonderful pork crackling.

[The price of pork fat/skin here was the same price per kilogramme as pork meat and is generally used here to make "moo grob"]

Creole style chicken with plain roast potatoes.

creole chicken 11 s.jpg

creole chicken 12 s.jpg

IMG_1267.JPG

There are a few things that are unusual about this Greek salad: 1) tomatoes aren't uncommon, but oven dried tomatoes are unheard-of; 2) there are a massive amount of beets; 3) the salad is on a bed of baby spinach greens.

NOTE: I was in such a hurry to dig into the salad that I forgot about the piece of Moroccan flatbread I brought to have along with it.

I've checked a wide range of different Greek salad recipes, and I have yet to find any that use spinach greens. Many use romaine, which is perfectly okay. Some use iceberg (*shudder*). But, none use spinach. Why is that? Spinach is important to Greek cuisine (have you ever had a spanakopata - spinach pie?) And, in this application, it works perfectly.

I dried the (plum) tomatoes and made a Greek dressing last night. But, the beets are a thing I like to call a classic "chain reaction cooking decision". Here's the process:
  1. I saw beets at the market, so I bought them. I frequently buy the raw materials without a clear idea of how I'm going to use them.
  2. The beets sat for a few days (beets are very robust) while I tried to figure out an ambitious use for them.
  3. I got sidetracked on several other projects, so I decided to pickle them. I used a bay leaf, cloves, a higher-than-standard salt content, and a lower-than-standard sugar content (I like my beets to be more savory and less like a piece of candy).
  4. I thought, "Where do I like to use pickled beets?", and immediately decided on Greek salad. The opinion of people who are not me is divided on this, but I can't have a Greek salad without pickled beets.

Last edited:
I've checked a wide range of different Greek salad recipes, and I have yet to find any that use spinach greens. Many use romaine, which is perfectly okay. Some use iceberg (*shudder*). But, none use spinach. Why is that? Spinach is important to Greek cuisine (have you ever had a spanakopata - spinach pie?) And, in this application, it works perfectly.

I dried the (plum) tomatoes and made a Greek dressing last night. But, the beets are a thing I like to call a classic "chain reaction cooking decision". Here's the process:

Could you start a new thread about Greek Salad perhaps?

I also made faux crab cakes using tofu and a vegan lime and dill tartare (all for the Recipe Challenge) which I'll post up tomorrow. Here is the tartare:

fullsizeoutput_2ece.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom